couchsofa

[Digital MOC] Modular University

Modular University

modular_university_cropped.png

Hi, this is my take on a university build in a modular fashion and inspired by the main building of the RWTH Aachen. It features three storeys, two audimaxi and handicapped accessible construction. It's certainly not my biggest MOC with 18 549 pieces but the elevators are fully playable and the interior as well (no empty rooms!).

modular_university_-_1_cropped.png

Above the main entrance a cafeteria has been established. The elevator can be operated by turning the wheel on the roof. The Arts and Engineering department features an exhibit of a model of the university building, a recording studio with an ensemble of instruments and some heavy test equipment and tools down in engineering.

modular_university_-_entrance_and_cafeteria_cropped.pngmodular_university_-_elevator_cropped.pngmodular_university_-_arts_and_engineering_cropped.png

A lecture hall with several stereoscopic microscopes is located in the upper floor in the Biology department. There is a study and an exhibit with some fascinating animals as well as a secondary entrance on the floors below.

The Medical department has a small lecture room, a lab and two rooms for intensive care patients. The Management department houses some offices and sinks for public access.

modular_university_-_biology_cropped.pngmodular_university_-_medical_extension_cropped.pngmodular_university_-_offices_cropped.png

The extension of the Medical department adds a proper lecture hall, a second lab and more intensive care and first aid treatment facilities. The Chemistry department features a lecture room, exhibits and a lounge on the ground and a spacious lab on the upper floor. Who knows what's being brewed or distilled with these elaborate contraptions?

modular_university_-_medical_cropped.pngmodular_university_-_chem_cropped.png

The floors above the Computer Science department provide access to the two main lecture halls and showcase some old and bley technology as well as a cutting edge mainboard used in the high performance computing center downstairs. The department also houses some public access terminals and a spacious lecture room.

modular_university_-_audimax_and_it_cropped.png

And last but not least, all three floors in the composition of all the modules:

modular_university_-_floor_3.png

modular_university_-_floor_2.png

modular_university_-_floor_1.png

An Amazing university build, I love the shark and dinosaur addition and the way you have designed the lecture room. It is a Huge design! Would you ever consider making it in real life?

Normally I feel big MOCs are big to hide the lack of detail, that their size is used to impress instead of impressing with detail.

This is impressive for the size and the massive amount of beautiful detail. Very nice!

Impressive.....very impressive indeed 'couchsofa'.......AWESOME digital designing, but will it ever be brick built ? :grin:

Brick On LDD On 'couchsofa' ! :grin:

Megaloman, but i like it. Reminds me that Jean Reno movie, Crimson Rivers.

Great work and Brick on :wink:

Huge and amazing details there. Fantastic building all around. I'd love to see it brick built but I assume that won't happen :tongue:

Happy building :laugh:

Very impressive! I like how you've incorporated the modern extension to the historical building.

Amazing, both in size and details. All the departments are very cleverly designed and equipped. Well done!

Simply ridiculous. The scale alone is worth mentioning. I'm always impressed with dedicated digital designers. I've worked with it some, but it is so time intensive, I'd prefer to work with real bricks most of the time (if I can).

But this is greatly detailed. I like seeing all of the classrooms and how you decorated all of them.

Good job!

It is a Huge design! Would you ever consider making it in real life?

AWESOME digital designing, but will it ever be brick built ?

Thank you, I will probably not be getting around to realizing this project :(

Awesome! It would cost a bit more than build a real house^^

Thanks, and yeah it would be pretty costly but still manageable. With an average price of 0,12 per brick it would amount to round about 2000€ if you would purchase every part.

But that still is the whole university and it's pretty much modular and one could start with a few modules ... if you want to take a look at the modules in the original .lxf file, I could upload it to a good host (any suggestions?). I also wouldn't mind if you 'steal' from the design, as long as you send me a pm, so i can have a look at the result;)

Megaloman, but i like it. Reminds me that Jean Reno movie, Crimson Rivers.

Thanks, hmm I don't think I know that one. I will give it a shot since i usually like Jean Reno's style. remeber^^ I only know it in german ("Die Purpurnen Flüsse") but I'm not sure to which part of the movie you are referring?

Very impressive! I like how you've incorporated the modern extension to the historical building.

Thanks! It was a quick spark of an idea and ended up looking pretty good, the real building doesn't have the extension and the audimax is located elsewhere in the city, but I didn't want to break up the block.

Normally I feel big MOCs are big to hide the lack of detail, that their size is used to impress instead of impressing with detail.

This is impressive for the size and the massive amount of beautiful detail. Very nice!

Thanks, that's what I'm going for most of the time, but usually run up to the parts limit in ldd or loose my interest in the MOC before I get to the interior. Making the MOCs modular often helps but you still need to create variations 'by hand'.

Simply ridiculous. The scale alone is worth mentioning. I'm always impressed with dedicated digital designers. I've worked with it some, but it is so time intensive, I'd prefer to work with real bricks most of the time (if I can).

But this is greatly detailed. I like seeing all of the classrooms and how you decorated all of them.

Good job!

Thank you, I would love to build this stuff with real bricks, but I don't have the space :/ So the digital domain has to do for now, but there are also pro's, like building modular and copieng cleverly;) I would love to see some boolean logic added to the selection tool in LDD and maybe a way to define symmetry axis, though.

Edited by couchsofa