Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Gets the sets you like the look of. What's the point of collecting something you're not fond of? Also, why do you have to collect an entire theme, just get a variety of sets.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Personally, I haven't been impressed with the superhero sets. I love the mini figures, but the builds themselves don't mean anything to me. Arkham Asylum may change my mind when I get it.

If you're an adult with your own spending money (which it sounds like),all roads will lead to the modular buildings. They are the most complex and satisfying builds you can buy. The only problem is you'll be disappointed you can't get them all, since the price of them goes up so drastically when they're discontinued.

For your interest in Harry Potter and Tolkien, probably Prince of Persia would be interesting. Also the Pharoah's Quest line was quite good. I've always been interested in lines showcasing world cultures though.

Thank you for all the tips. Yes im an adult spending my own money and I was actually looking at the modular buildings nut didn't know how expensive they were.. Iv looked at the superhero sets and really want the figs but didn't think the builds would be that satisfying besides some of the larger sets like arkum asylum. I like building the bigger structures but im also a big fan of the figs so its almost like im looking for the best large builds with the most figs (which im sure is what everyone wants lol)

Which superhero sets are best?

The superhero sets with the best builds for me were the Superman/Wonder Woman/Lex mech set, the cosmic cube escape and the Joker Funhouse. But you'll need to get the Hulk breakout one, since everyone needs a Hulk.

Like Oky said, the Quinjet is a nice set to test the superhero waters I think. It is a good, fun build and you also get a nice set of figures.

I agree about getting sets that look appealing to you. If you want crossover themes, then Prince of Persia is possible. I'd say the figures in Super Heroes are superb, but the builds haven't been that great. I only built the Batmobile set and the Joker Funhouse set. But the Funhouse is the set to get for Batman lovers (until Arkham that is).

I would second the Winter Village line. Mostly because I'm using it as a Hogsmeade replacement. The buildings look similar to how I would picture that area. Plus, it being above the snow line permanently, it is always snowy there, thus making the Winter Village sets perfect.

The Modulars are beautiful and if I ever have to cut out themes to make room in my budget, the modulars would be one of the few guaranteed sets to stay. They only come out once a year, but there is some back stock with a few of the previous sets. But if you want sets to tide you over until Spring for more LOTR sets, then there really isn't that much time left, so there isn't a ton to buy between now and then.

How about the older Indiana Jones sets? I have most of those and I love them, the figs are great and the vehicles are fantastic! Prince of Persia is another good theme I think but I guess the ultimate licensed theme would have to be Star Wars. Have you seen 10188 Death Star or 10221 Super Star Destroyer? Not cheap but they dont come much more spectacular than those!

Edited by charlieboy

How about some Friends sets? I skipped the superheros and went with Friends instead for all the new stuff like knives and forks and some different colors for MOCs. Plus you get cool looking little animals and the hair is great. I like to put Stephanie's hair on a bearded minifig, it makes him look like a pro wrestler with a bleach blonde mullet.

No, it is not to be. Bloody Argos and their bloody listing items that aren't actually in stock anywhere in the country; they obviously haven't learned their lesson despite getting into trouble about it before. :hmpf:

Edited by Scorpiox

I'll throw my two cents into the pile and suggest Ninjago. Just because I've always loved it and Ninjas. And if you don't really get the sets (at first I didn't either, though they're still cool if you're into race-car-fast vehicles), you might consider watching a few episodes of the Ninjago TV show. That might not be your thing, of course. And if you're more interested in just building the sets, you might want to try building your own creations; if you look around EB, there are quite a few fantastic MOCs that might get you inspired! (Plus, that way you don't spend as much... until you start buying pieces just so you can build... :grin: ). Prince of Persia is pretty good, especialy since it seems you're into licensed themes. And I don't own any Modulars yet :cry2: but I sure wish I did!

What about buying mixed lots and start building your own mocs? Perhaps buildings that would compliment the themes that no longer exist?

IMO, the some of best superheroes sets are the ones that are around $20 and have 3 minifigs.

Superman vs Lex

Loki cosmic cube escape

Wolverine chopper showdown

Arctic Batman vs Mr Freeze

Spider cycle chase

Monster fighters is great too. The vampyre castle is awesome. If you want to step it up even farther, you can go for the Haunted House.

While I agree with you guys that I should only get the sets that appeal to me, that is basically the problem. Almost every set I see appeals to me lol. If I had enough money id buy every set that ever came out lol. Iv been doing research bases off your guys recommendations though and I've come up with a few I plan on purchasing soon.the Haunted house/ mansion set from MG, arum asylum, battle of alamut and im at a crossroads with the other super hero sets. I have a couple different selections to get the figs. I also forgot about the winter village line and plan on getting those four to build my mom a winter village around christmas time.

I really want the deathstar set. Im actually really pissed off at myself because last year around april or march I remember seeing the deathstar set on ebay for like 179.99 or within ten dollars of that and I didn't buy it. I know this sounds crazy but I swear it was on there. I think the guy had a little over a hundred of them and sold out in less than 24 hours. Now I can't find one cheaper than like 350$. Does anyone else know where the best place is to find one?

Is there a robin hood theme? That would be cool. What's the best ship to buy? I plan on getting the corsair ship set but iv never built a ship so I was thinking about getting a potc ship before hand.

There was the forestmen theme from the late 1980's/1990's. They were Robin Hood inspired sets- Bricklink set listings

I have a few of those too! A great theme from, in my opinion, the best Lego years ever!

As for ships, look no further than 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda!

6285-1.jpg?0

Another awesome set from 1989! Both the PotC ships are great but as I have both i'd say 4195 Queen Anne's Revenge is the better ship :wink:

Edited by charlieboy

personally, i prefer bigger sets, sets starting from 1000+ pieces. the choosing of the theme is only second. what i meant with "bigger" is that the set builds into only one finish product, like technic, modular, landmark, some architecture set, some star wars and ultimately the UCS series. i don't dig sets with high piece count but ends up like a diaroma or that produces more than two builds. my advice is, you should know what you want, what to "prioritize". if you collect sets, it's natural that you would want to have its line complete. in my case, i'm a piece collector, and in my experience i get advantageous with these sets i mentioned. it doesnt matter to me which theme as long as the set qualifies my "standard"

If you don't have it yet, I would strongly recommend you get your hands on a copy of 10193 Medieval Market Village. It is being retired as we speak. It is viewed as one of the better sets Lego has ever created. And it can be used nicely with either Harry

Potter or LotR.

If you are a working adult with lots of disposable income, and like big gorgeous builds that are still minifig scale, then the Modular buildings are what you are looking for. There are 4 readily available now with a 5th due in March. The two earlier retired ones may be a bit steep price wise these days.

I really want the deathstar set. Im actually really pissed off at myself because last year around april or march I remember seeing the deathstar set on ebay for like 179.99 or within ten dollars of that and I didn't buy it. I know this sounds crazy but I swear it was on there. I think the guy had a little over a hundred of them and sold out in less than 24 hours. Now I can't find one cheaper than like 350$. Does anyone else know where the best place is to find one?

Be very very very careful with E-bay sales that seem to good to be true, involving products that are still available from Lego S@H, Toys R Us or Walmart.com. Often they are part of what is known as a drop ship scam. You pay the seller using your CC or Paypal. He then turns around and orders the product from Lego Shop @ Home and has it drop shipped to you using a stolen credit card number.

You should definetly not miss Superman vs Lex if you're into Superheroes, it has that perfect Justice League- / Superman Animated Series-Vibe.

Also as others have said, get MMV while it's still available, it's awesome.

The Deathstar is worth every penny, i consider it the most fun build-experience i've ever had. Get it. Now.

personally, i prefer bigger sets, sets starting from 1000+ pieces. the choosing of the theme is only second. what i meant with "bigger" is that the set builds into only one finish product, like technic, modular, landmark, some architecture set, some star wars and ultimately the UCS series. i don't dig sets with high piece count but ends up like a diaroma or that produces more than two builds.

snip

I agree with you about the bricks making one structure rather than multiples. That's the only think I dislike about some of the port/hobbit/HP sets. Some of them I understand would be almost impossible to make into one structure but its still frustrating. What are some of your favorite large builds like this because this is what im really interested. Although I do still like some figs that come in smaller sets.

Which modular buildings are still available at a price less than 600$ lol the one I saw was like 650$ and i think ill pass on that even though it would be awesome to gave.

personally, i prefer bigger sets, sets starting from 1000+ pieces. the choosing of the theme is only second. what i meant with "bigger" is that the set builds into only one finish product, like technic, modular, landmark, some architecture set, some star wars and ultimately the UCS series. i don't dig sets with high piece count but ends up like a diaroma or that produces more than two builds.

snip

I agree with you about the bricks making one structure rather than multiples. That's the only think I dislike about some of the port/hobbit/HP sets. Some of them I understand would be almost impossible to make into one structure but its still frustrating. What are some of your favorite large builds like this because this is what im really interested. Although I do still like some figs that come in smaller sets.

Which modular buildings are still available at a price less than 600$ lol the one I saw was like 650$ and i think ill pass on that even though it would be awesome to gave.

Wow was it really?? That's crazy im glad I didn't do it theeni I guess. I just figured they were stolen or something.

Do you know where that thread is?

---after they're long been discontinued?

the sets in question are:

10220 Volkswagen Camper Van

10197 Modular Fire Brigade

10218 Modular Pet Shop

I ask this question because I was able to get these sets cheaper which rarely happens at my area.i'm planning to get a duplicate of one of these and "keep" it MISB and sell someday.

Also, not in the choice, do you think Lego 10214 Tower Bridge will end up super expensive like the Taj Mahal today? i also have access to this one but it's not cheap, but considering the price of Taj Mahal today, i was thinking to get this also.

edit: broken title

Edited by Shu

I think a lot of those earlier sets are fetching such a high price-tag because they were more of a first of its kind and people didn't know what to expect. Since investing became such a huge trend recently, you may not get as much for multiple sets now than you once did. Fire Brigade is a great example. It's been around for so long, I doubt the secondary market will have that high of a resale value mostly because it will be flooded with sets to resell. However, people are always coming out of their Dark Ages, so sets will always have an increase in value over time, but I doubt it will skyrocket like some of the earlier sets. Out of the three listed, I would suspect the VW van to have a good increase in value mostly because I don't think it was as sought after as a lot of the other sets. Obviously it is all speculation because I have no idea. I attribute my lack of interest in that set to cover everyone's interest, so there really is nothing to it.

from what i noticed so far:

if you want lego for

not playing, collecting dust and resale - go for starwars ;)

well i dont really think that vw camper will be that much special. look at model teak stuff, fantastic sets, but even that old they still dont go for fhag much.