Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

This is probably THE set of 2013 for me. It's what the TIE fighter was last year. Not too cheap, not too expensive. Right size to display and look at in my shelf or on my desk. It's cool, unique, really well designed and captures something that stands for more than simply a starfighter / car. It carries a special feel of the 1980s in it's metatext. It has play features without flick fire galore, but it's also not a 400€ Star Destroyer which main play feature is serving as a dust magnet. It's just plain nice and since his appearance in Curb your Enthusiasm I would love to have a MJF minifig.

I wonder how TLC will deal with the illegal building methods the original model obviously has but I am pretty sure they'll find a good solution.

This is probably THE set of 2013 for me. It's what the TIE fighter was last year. Not too cheap, not too expensive. Right size to display and look at in my shelf or on my desk. It's cool, unique, really well designed and captures something that stands for more than simply a starfighter / car. It carries a special feel of the 1980s in it's metatext. It has play features without flick fire galore, but it's also not a 400€ Star Destroyer which main play feature is serving as a dust magnet. It's just plain nice and since his appearance in Curb your Enthusiasm I would love to have a MJF minifig.

I wonder how TLC will deal with the illegal building methods the original model obviously has but I am pretty sure they'll find a good solution.

I'm sure the car itself is being pretty much completely rebuilt by Legos designers.

I'm sure the car itself is being pretty much completely rebuilt by Legos designers.

I would hope so because,as it is, the car doesn't look that good in my opinion. I'm sure that TLG will work wonders with it.

Let's see, Disney just bought Lucasfilm = Star Wars and (defunct) Indy are part of the Mouse. conceded oN DC.

reason I was hesistant is I know some folks, though not as bad as other sites, go apoplectic when you say "Mega Bloks"... and I'm not an MB koolaid-slurper just like I'm not with Lego (but believe me, seeing virtually nothing to warrant my attention in the 2013 catalog is PAINFUL to admit), but as a longtime StarCraft fan it has long been my position that whoever commercially offered a Battlecruiser at a reasonable price would get business from me, and it just happens that Team Canada beat Team Denmark to the punch getting the license.

At the very least, I, and I believe a lot of us, could be mollified if there were reassurance from Lego that "declined this time does not mean barred from future consideration, try again after LR runs its course and if you can get 10K supporters again then you're back in the game." That's not TOO unreasonable, is it?

First off LEGO had the Star Wars licence in 1999. Back then it wasn't owned by Disney, so because it is now LEGO should forget producing themes that are owned by Disney? Star Wars is LEGOs best seller, and before it was bought by Dis LEGO had another contract with Disney. This contract gives them the rights to POP and LR, plus all the Pixar stuff. So by your logic just because Disney has bought a lot of IP that LEGO should start dropping them.

News Flash Disney like to buy stuff and they will continue to do so. It doesn't mean that LEGO will start dropping them.

In terms of the Starcraft thing, MB is going on this little fad of getting rights to games. It's all because Halo has done so well for them. LEGO has never been interested in rights to SC simple because it doesn't appeal to their core audience. So MB didn't really beat LEGO to the rights, as LEGO has never been interested.

On the last point that's what LEGO has said. There's nothing stopping people from uploading a project again.

Lego and Disney have a very long and very successful pre existing relationship. It seems to bridge multiple movies and franchises ( ie the Bruckheimer films PotC, PoP, LR, Disney Princesses, Pixar related subjects such as Cars and Toy Story, Now Jake and the Pirates, and even some classic Mickey.)

Just like MGM and others, Lucasfilms will continue to operate with some degree of autonomy. I would not expect any major changes in any of their toy contracts at this time. Both Lego and Hasbro (previously Kenner) have served Lucas well. The only potential gotcha will be if Disney is in fact looking to buy Hasbro. (Which never made a ton of sense to me). If that happens then Disney owns Kree-O. Even then it would be 9 or 10 years before any of the contracts change. Lucas renewed the Lego contract for 10 years just a few months before news of the purchase broke. If Disney had any long term issues with the deal thy would have stopped or shortened it then.

My second favorite theme is western, the sets i have are: rapid river Village, Gold City Junction, weapons wagon, Bandits hide out, Fort Legoredo, sheriffs lock up, and some custom stuff. Took me so long to collect those sets! i bought them all off ebay.

That's neat that it passed review, but honestly I'm not too keen on the set. I would suspect TLG is working wonders on it and I'll end up getting it, but if it looks anything like the original MOC, I will pass. No offense to the creator because they did a great job overall, it just isn't for me. I have no idea how to build cars, so good for them attempting it. I would suspect they will use the Nick Fury car mechanism since that is a legal build already in production.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out in the end. I loved that movie as a kid.

I do not seen this being made as a play set type of set but more like set10220 the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van .

Bill

I do not seen this being made as a play set type of set but more like set10220 the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van .

Bill

While that is a possibility, I think that something on the scale you suggest is extremely unlikely based on past Cuusoo sets.

I hope this set comes with minifigs of Doc and Marty (and with the various dogs they have now from various themes maybe they can even find a way to fit Einstein in there)

Yeah I agree that the car as is would need to be modeled better. The Lego team will redesign it (as they do with all Cuusoo). But I'm not sure to expect THAT much better.

Just using Google Image there's a few really awesome models, but they're almost TOO GOOD for Lego to do :P.

delorean_1.jpg

This one is significantly better. There are a few other really awesome models of it. Not that the submission was bad or anything, just... not as good. :P

I am sure LEGO will come up with something good, remember, if they come up with a piece of crap model, Universal (as owners of the Back To The Future franchise) will reject it.

Yeah I agree that the car as is would need to be modeled better. The Lego team will redesign it (as they do with all Cuusoo). But I'm not sure to expect THAT much better.

Just using Google Image there's a few really awesome models, but they're almost TOO GOOD for Lego to do :P.

Snip

This one is significantly better. There are a few other really awesome models of it. Not that the submission was bad or anything, just... not as good. :P

It would be awesome if the car looked exactly like that or very similar to that :drool: . Surely TLG can manage something along those lines to blow us all away.

if they come up with a piece of crap model, Universal (as owners of the Back To The Future franchise) will reject it.

Are you sure about this? It is hard to say how much of a hand Universal will have on the model's design, and I doubt that their criteria for what makes a good set are the same as those which will make you or other AFOLs happy. I am confident the final version will be very good.

Are we close to see the final pictures of the fourth Cuusoo product, the Back to the Future DeLorean? I noticed yesterday on the frontpage of cuusoo.lego.com that there were four boxes of Cuusoo products, the fourth and top one calling "#004 Back to the Future™ Time Machine" but showing the image of the Minecraft set (that's how I noticed it, there were two images of the Minecraft set in the list).

One the results page it is also called 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine" now

I think this is hint for a reveal within the next days! What do you think?

edit:

On the other hand they say:

The final product is still in development in coordination with our license partner, Universal Partnerships & Licensing. We'll show the final model and you’ll be able to order your own copy when it becomes available in mid-2013 (exact dates and pricing to be determined).

So they obviously have no licence of the DeLorean. Do you think it will still be recognizable?

Edited by PsyKater

It may be that they dont have a license to the DeLorean name from the DeLorian motor company but they may have a license to the shape of the vehicle as seen in the films.

I noticed yesterday on the frontpage of cuusoo.lego.com that there were four boxes of Cuusoo products, the fourth and top one calling "#004 Back to the Future™ Time Machine" but showing the image of the Minecraft set

I'm not quite sure what you are seeing?

It was gone quite quick. I did not manage to take a screenshot, but it was there.

It may be that they dont have a license to the DeLorean name from the DeLorian motor company but they may have a license to the shape of the vehicle as seen in the films.

They don't need the DMC license as long as they don't use the DMC logo or advertise it as a DeLorean. A similar issue popped up in the game "Burnout Paradise". The car was obviously the Back to the Future time machine but the car was missing the little DMC logo on the front since they didn't have the DMC license.

In fact it's kind of common practice to skip getting the DMC license when doing something BTTF related. Look at most toys and games based on Back to the Future. It's very rare for it to have the DMC logo anywhere on it.

Edited by Reevr

From Historic Themes:

Does anybody reckon that the new exclusive set that'll be revealed at Copenhagen tomorrow will be the tower of Orthanc because on Kevin hinckle's blog he mentions some thing about a new set announcement

http://ceeteamblog.c...nd-of-stickers/

"My only other item of interest was the nice surprise waiting at my desk yesterday: A volume sample of the next exclusive model that will be unveiled to the world. The next unveiling will not be taking place in North America, however we still receive a sample to build and familiarize ourselves with it for any questions received after it’s publicly unveiled. Looks like it’s time to build! Sorry, no hints from me on what it is…"

Sounds like the Delorean to me.

They don't need the DMC license as long as they don't use the DMC logo or advertise it as a DeLorean. A similar issue popped up in the game "Burnout Paradise". The car was obviously the Back to the Future time machine but the car was missing the little DMC logo on the front since they didn't have the DMC license.

In fact it's kind of common practice to skip getting the DMC license when doing something BTTF related. Look at most toys and games based on Back to the Future. It's very rare for it to have the DMC logo anywhere on it.

They still have to use the likeness of the vehicle, which at times is -not- an easy practice to skip over at times and can infringe. I'm sure Universal was more than willing to talk to DMC to acquire a license and DMC was more than welcome to allow it. It's all about money.

-Omi

Maybe the Universal licence already "includes" the DMC licence? i.e. Universal has DMC's agreement and it is enough?

Maybe the Universal licence already "includes" the DMC licence? i.e. Universal has DMC's agreement and it is enough?

If that was the case then they would be able to use the DMC name. Sure, they also have to use the likeness but I'm not sure how much of a problem that will be as this set is based on a vehicle in one of the most famous science-fiction movies of all time.