GRogall

News LEGO Architecture 2013 Discusion

I have the Tower Bridge, Eifel Tower and the Taj Mahal.. I'm waiting for another big build from Lego.. like a 6,000 piece Sagrada Familia or something along those lines.

I have the Tower Bridge, Eifel Tower and the Taj Mahal.. I'm waiting for another big build from Lego.. like a 6,000 piece Sagrada Familia or something along those lines.

While very interesting architecturally, Sagrada Famillia is Catholic church and as such would probably be a tough sell given TLG resistance/opposition to sets that could be construed to be promoting modern religions (they lump that in with sex, drug use and realistic depictions of war on their non-starters list). I've wanted a big D2C Notre Dame for some time, but I doubt I'll ever see one (for exactly the same reason).

Still, I share your desire to see what next "big landmark' will arise to join my Statue of Liberty, TB, ET and TM collection. A Castle Neuschwanstein might make a nice neutral subject.

While very interesting architecturally, Sagrada Famillia is Catholic church and as such would probably be a tough sell given TLG resistance/opposition to sets that could be construed to be promoting modern religions (they lump that in with sex, drug use and realistic depictions of war on their non-starters list). I've wanted a big D2C Notre Dame for some time, but I doubt I'll ever see one (for exactly the same reason).

Still, I share your desire to see what next "big landmark' will arise to join my Statue of Liberty, TB, ET and TM collection. A Castle Neuschwanstein might make a nice neutral subject.

I hear you there, I can understand TLG wanting to keep sets neutral. Which is a shame as most the impressive buildings around the globe are places of worship.

Castle Neuschwanstein is an interesting idea, have thought about creating one myself..

Me too, last big buildind is tower bridge and this year is three year gap from tower bridge so I expecting something in the summer.

But Im also afraid that architecture series cover that big models and we dont see big models anymore.

No, its real but, looks awful! its "21018 The Leaning Tower of Pisa"

Wow white only! not impressed........

There is a Cuusoo project for an Architecture Tower of Pisa that not only looks better than that piece of crap but could probably be done at the same price point.

Hey, it is a piece of #$%*, but I am probably still going to buy it. Is there any other sets coming out this year?

I'm okay with it being monochromatic, but it does strike me as too big. I know these models are done to all kinds of different scales, but it still just seems weird for the Leaning Tower to be almost as tall as the Burj Khalifa.

Oh, and in other news, it seems the initial price estimate for the Imperial Hotel was a bit too optimistic - Barnes & Noble shows a list price of $129.95 (and they don't typically mark up Architecture sets).

There is a Cuusoo project for an Architecture Tower of Pisa that not only looks better than that piece of crap but could probably be done at the same price point.

totally agree.

Hey, it is a piece of #$%*, but I am probably still going to buy it. Is there any other sets coming out this year?

There is the United Nations HQ (New York)...

(seen it at Nuremberg show room)

Wakwak

Wakwak

This sounds great to me! Sad that we didn't see pictures of it yet!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/pisab.jpg/

Is this the next Architecture set? Or is it just a MOC?

If it is real, I am quite underwhelmed. I don't think it's that great.

Are you able to name a source for the picture you linked to? :look:

Edit: forget I asked! The imageshack page belongs to 'darkage1990'. Here's the pic:

med_gallery_6705_159_19488.jpg

Wakwak

I will defiantly want to get my hands on that one. :excited:

This sounds great to me! Sad that we didn't see pictures of it yet!

It does look more in line (than Pisa tower) with the other architecture sets of big building (ESB,...). It was showcased next to The Imperial Hotel at Nuremberg.

Wakwak

And it is a real picture with proper reflections and what not, the model is sitting in front of a box, with the reflection off the glass on the left/rear there... So if its fake, they went through a lot of trouble for it

Well, chalk me down for not having too much of a problem with the new Leaning Tower of Pisa design. It's true, the Cuusoo one is quite innovative, but it is also very basic in its build, with very little use of studs (could be something TLG quite rightly wants to avoid since non-FOLs buying LEGO Architecture sets for the novelty will naturally anticipate a great deal of stud-based building) and very little detail. As a smaller souvenir-type set or Monthly Mini Model Build it could certainly be successful, but despite its surprising accuracy for its scale it just doesn't have the same display quality as the official set, which regardless of any inaccuracies is something visitors to a house will surely "ooh" and "aah" at for its level of detail and complexity.

Note one of the quite clever building techniques of the new Leaning Tower design. It is five-sided, an unusual geometry for a LEGO model. It achieves this by wrapping a central column in hinge plates. The Cuusoo model, while an obvious example of NPU, is NOT terribly advanced in its construction. Clever though it may be, it would be tremendously boring design for the average buyer, both in terms of the process of construction and the finished model's shelf presence.

I'm not one to like to spread rumours, but I noticed this in the Star Wars forums:

snapback.pngcavegod, on 05 February 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

同时还有其他五位数消息

LEGO 10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200

LEGO 10235 Creator, Product name unknown

LEGO 10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250

Would that not be a pretty darn big Opera House? I remember a number of years now reading something in one of the forums (I think it was in an old thread for the Tower Bridge), that a large scale Sydney Opera House was in the works and that it'd be the largest Lego set released to date (in terms of pieces, and at that point the Taj Mahal was out, so that'd mean 6000+ pieces).

As for the Leaning Tower - I don't think it looks bad, but it won't be something that I run out to pick up. Looking forward to grabbing the hotel in a month from now!

Leaning tower is pretty weak on that photo :sceptic: Would like to see Brooklin or Golden Gate bridge in Architecture series :sweet:

I want to see a Sydney Harbor bridge, that would be awesome :)