CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

And really who knows, maybe the line really did meet Lego's expectations and they were always planning to re-introduce a castle theme in 2013 regardless of the LotR/Hobbit lines like Faefrost points out.

I think that is the most like scenario since it usually takes Lego longer than a year to plan out a new theme, so I think it is probably pretty likely that Lego planned to have Castle and LOTR/Hobbit coexist together. That would also explain why Lego is not wanting many fantasy elements in their new castle sets as that would make it compete against the LOTR/Hobbit theme.

I think the hopefully brief disappearance of Castle was simply part of their normal cycles. Except for City, every Evergreen theme gets periodic breaks. They may have timed the break for the release of LotR's just to focus some attention. But as I said above Castle and LotR do not really directly compete. Castle is a more brightly colored play featured theme that is truly targeted at the core Lego audience 6 to 12. LotR's like Harry Potter before it, targets a slightly older more well read and Literary minded group. If done properly the two will feed each other in the Lego product line. The release of major LotR type movies tends to lead to an increase in general sword and knight type play interest. Not simply the specific and exact Middle Earth stuff. Even the kids who are way too young for any of the movies pick up the vibe. (Look at all of Fisher Prices Dark Knight Rises type toys). Castle feeds that interest of the younger audience. Leads them into the licensed stuff. And trust me, Lego is bright enough to realize that the AFOLs are a non issue in this. If they put out LotR and Castle side by side, it just means that most AFOLs will for the most part spend twice as much. (While complaining the whole time.)

That is exactly true. I would suspect most AFOLs interesting in castle will end up buying next summer's wave of LOTR and the Castle release, thus spending twice as much as originally intended. Not everyone of course is into both themes. I will for sure buy all of the LOTR sets (without prior knowledge), but I may be hesitant on the Castle sets depending on how they turn out.

but I may be hesitant on the Castle sets depending on how they turn out.

We have not seen a bad "Castle" type set in years. Most of the stuff from the past 2 to 4 years has been incredibly designed principally brick built structures. With lots of play value, and limited or intelligent use of panel pieces. Just look at what we have gotten recently, regardless of the theme name it is under.

Helm's Deep - wonderfully brick built. Expandable. One of the best Castles ever.

Joust - while not a huge or complete castle, an almost totally brick built set with amazing detail. Everything we could possibly want.

Medieval Market Village - not just the best castle set ever produced, in the running for best set Lego has ever made. Just perfect.

Vampires Castle - probably the mst "<insert that tiresome argument>" of he recent sets. But still an incredibly fun build. A stunning looking creepy castle, and all around a fantastic set.

Hogwarts Castle - like Vampires castle just a fun and wonderfully detailed build with a ton of play features.

Bag End - probably he best of he new Hobbit sets. Lots of detail. Fun total brick build. Looks stunning.

Diagon Alley - like Hogwarts a wonderfully detailed civilian setting. Lots of great builds.

I am fully hopeful that any new Castle sets will easily be up to the standards set by these recent works.

I do hope that this rumor pans out. It's not out of a lack of interest in LotR. I have all of the LotR sets with some in multiples. However I do think the two can exist side by side because they really aren't that similar in several ways that matter. The number of actual castles and castle like structures that LotR could spawn is quite small, and I believe that number is made smaller by scale issues (Barad Dur is depicted as taller than any real world building, for instance). Helm's Deep is one of the few that vaguely looks right at minifig scale. Orthanc isn't a problem because it's essentially just a big, black tower. Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul are whole cities though. Barad Dur is gigantic. That doesn't leave a whole lot. I think the potential issue with Kingdoms was the increased focus on civilian sets. That is an area where the two could conflict because the potential Rohan civilian sets wouldn't be all that different. So, I would think a returned Castle would either continue Kingdoms (potentially without the civilian component), be a reimagining of the 80s Castle series (likely minus Forestmen), or be remade with the focus on actual characters akin to Ninjago.

Can't help but wonder if the faction will spill back into these Summer Castle sets, or if another familiar crest will be updated as well. Certainly the Knight fig does nothing to discourage such musings. What do you guys think? Is this a sign of the return of the Crown??!

I think it is way too early to call. Yes there is the new silver grey crown crest. But we have also recently seen a total of 5 new shield crests. This one, the red boar on the evil knight, the gold dragon face on the dwarf, the stag on he CMF elf, and the tree on the new Forrest maiden. This is without counting the more oddball ones like the Roman soldier or the Aztec. I think they just use designs that they think are neat for the CMF's, with no planning of themes involved.

It is interesting to note how similar the evil knight and heroic knight Minifigs are to those originally featured in the Final Joust fantasy era set.

There are actually a number of ways Lego could approach a Castle theme running alongside licensed themes with a similar medieval flavor. They could easily provide contrast with the content of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by eliminating fantasy elements altogether, as has been rumored, and similar to their approach with the Kingdoms theme. But conversely, there's a fair amount of fantasy that could provide tonal contrast with Lord of the Rings. Wicked Witches, Fairies, Ghosts and Unicorns would all be examples of a more whimsical medieval fantasy which could contrast with the more serious medieval fantasy of Lord of the Rings. I think the former approach is more likely, but the latter should not be entirely discounted as a possibility.

I know they said no fantasy, but when will they bring out LEGO Centaurs?? That is what I would want the most. They have done Minotaurs in the CMF, so throw in some fauns and centaurs and we'll be set.

But I understand why no fantasy, so hopefully the sets will be awesome like the Kingdoms line.

I know they said no fantasy, but when will they bring out LEGO Centaurs?? That is what I would want the most. They have done Minotaurs in the CMF, so throw in some fauns and centaurs and we'll be set.

But I understand why no fantasy, so hopefully the sets will be awesome like the Kingdoms line.

Ha, ha! A while back I also said I wanted centaurs! That'd be great! :sweet:

After having a closer look at the minifig descriptions for CMF Series 9 on LEGO.com, it seems to me that LEGO intends for the Forest Maiden to be part of the Forestmen faction. The Forestmen are mentioned in her description. Put this and the Forest Ambush set together and it points to the return of the Forestmen. If this is the case, it would be really interesting if LEGO makes the knights and king in the castle be the villains, while the Forestmen are the good guys, and the Dragon Mountain is their base of operations. And then amybe the Black Falcons could make a return as said villainous kingdom.

But that is all just hopes and dreams based on a few subtle hints and nods to the past.

After having a closer look at the minifig descriptions for CMF Series 9 on LEGO.com, it seems to me that LEGO intends for the Forest Maiden to be part of the Forestmen faction. The Forestmen are mentioned in her description.

I'd say the reference is just pointing towards the Forestman from Series 1 and reading anything more into that is a bit far-fetched. As long as Lego LotR is running, I think Forestmen is maybe the least likely old subtheme to return. Trees, elf-like figures clad in green etc. (half the people are already calling the Forest Maiden an elf).

Nevertheless, I'd certainly like to see more of Forestman's merry band in the future CMF series, especially Friar Tuck if Lego could just find a way for him not to violate their no religious subjects policy.

They could call Tuck a brewer or vintner and pack him with a barrel, lid, and goblet for his alcoholic wares... and give him the Grandpa bald-cap with dark brown hair and a brown outfit & cape?

I think the Forest Maiden's info is just a pointer to Series 1 as well, unfortunately. I'd love for a greater faction to emerge (along with Black Falcons), but don't have high hopes for that. I also don't think the Heroic Knight is gonna lead to a grander faction, as he could easily fit in with the Crownies or Lions without any trouble (as a champion or royal guard-type knight)

I third the centaurs; nice as the Brickforge ones look, I'd love some official ones (preferably with the poseable hindquarters ala LOTR horses as well as unique deco akin to BF's). If/when Fantasy returns, hopefully they'll be there!

I doubt that the Forest Maiden is connected to the Series 1 archer. If she is, thats a shame, because a new Forestmen faction with that tree symbol would be fantastic.

Nevertheless, I'd certainly like to see more of Forestman's merry band in the future CMF series, especially Friar Tuck if Lego could just find a way for him not to violate their no religious subjects policy.

I don't think they would have a problem with a Friar tuck type fig in a medieval setting. It's the modern real world stuff that is mainly at issue.

I doubt that the Forest Maiden is connected to the Series 1 archer. If she is, thats a shame, because a new Forestmen faction with that tree symbol would be fantastic.

She is. It's in the bio: "As a member of the Forestman’s merry band, she can slip silently into the trees and shadows to disappear from sight…but her greatest skill lies in building traps." Series 1 archer is called "Forestman".

After having a closer look at the minifig descriptions for CMF Series 9 on LEGO.com, it seems to me that LEGO intends for the Forest Maiden to be part of the Forestmen faction. The Forestmen are mentioned in her description.

Well Knights Kingdom I was mentioned in the description for the Evil Knight, do you think Cedric The Bull is on his way back as well? :tongue:

I think those descriptions are meant as nothing more than cameo mentioning of LEGO classics, to cater for the older fans. :classic:

It's really good to see two such strong Castle figures in this new series, and I'll be getting multiples of at least the Heroic Knight - and the Forestwoman as well, if possible. They're both absolutely great, and I can't hardly wait to get my hands on them - along with several other figures from this and the previous series.

While I do enjoy the look of the Heroic Knight (and wow, that sword!) and think his shield is a nice and sleek improvement of the Crown Knights' shield, I hope they'll go with something different for the upcoming Castle sets.

I don't think the Forest Maiden is related directly to the Forestmen, nor the Heroic Knight to a new Crown faction. I don't believe the CMFs have ever heralded a new theme to date, but rather the opposite, following on the heels of a previous one (Elf/Evil Dwarf, Man-bat, Mech, Merfolk). New pieces may signal potential alternate uses (Forest Maidens hair) but that's the only forecasting they've done...thus far.

I would say that the fantasy theme and the Kingdoms theme were some of the best Castle themes in a long time. Dragons, Dwarves and Trolls were a great addition and the Civilian sets in Kingdoms were great! I was much less thrilled with the Crownies/Skellies and the Knight's Kingdom II before (although KK2 had the best selections of shields in a single castle line, by far!)

Lastly, the Firestmen have never been officialy named Robin Hood and his Merry Men, nor has there been a Little John ir Will Scarlet, and I don't see this changing, so we shall never see a Feiar Tuck. A monk or friar would be a great addition though (they did include Tarot cards....)

@Rogueang - There was a Ninja in S1 long before ninjago, a Crazy Scientest in S4 before MF, an Elf in S3 before LoTR (though that might be streaching it...), a Pharoh in S2 + a Mummy in S3 before PQ (I think, right?) so while they might both be planned at the same time (as I think LEGO plans for Themes farther in advance than CMFs), you still can have some idea of what themes might possibly be coming from the CMFs... though it's very vague and a sort of hit or miss kind of thing. :wink:

It's tough to say sometimes. There were multiple CMFs with Monster Fighter related figures and then we had a MF theme. I would love for this new Forest Maiden's shield to work its way into a Forestmen theme, but it's tough to say. Not that everyone has to have the same shade of green, it is weird how the Forestman is the normal green and the Maiden is the dark green with some dark tan/gold accents. And she is good at setting traps? I don't know what that means. I don't see her becoming a part of a new theme, but like I said, maybe the shield could work its way in there somehow.

As far as centaurs go, I didn't even think about the new poseable version! Who knows what the future holds?

A Friar of some sort would be really neat. They already have a balding head piece in The Unexpected Gathering set also, so either one might work. Or they could do a new hairpiece to represent the tonsure more readily..who knows.

Edited by TheLegoDr

What is this fetish with people wanting the same shield design for several figures to make a 'faction'? If there ever is a new Forestmen faction I'd like them to have a different shield than the Forest Maiden's. More variety. And there can be many different shield designs inside a single faction, too. Ever heard of heraldry and how every noble family had different crests? Sure, it's understandable why TLG makes factions have uniform crests (easy identification for kids), but I as an AFOL sure like when we get different designs at least in the CMS. Reusing a CMS shield pattern in a normal line or vice versa is just a wasted opportunity in my opinion. (Like with the S9 Hero Knight figure.)

@Rogueang - There was a Ninja in S1 long before ninjago, a Crazy Scientest in S4 before MF, an Elf in S3 before LoTR (though that might be streaching it...), a Pharoh in S2 + a Mummy in S3 before PQ (I think, right?) so while they might both be planned at the same time (as I think LEGO plans for Themes farther in advance than CMFs), you still can have some idea of what themes might possibly be coming from the CMFs... though it's very vague and a sort of hit or miss kind of thing. :wink:

1: Ninja sets came out long before CMF was even imagined

2: The crazy scientiest already showed up back in the agents theme in 2008

3: The Elf is more related to the Fantasy theme than the LOTR theme. Dwarves, Orcs.... Elves.

4: There was a Pharoah/Mummy figure back in the Adventurers series of the late 90s.

There have really been no direct corellations between the CMFs and later themes except for repeated themes (Ninja, Pharoah's Quest). The only connection I can kiiiiiinda see, is the Monster Fighters, except that there was already a monster theme. The zombie would be the one direct ancestor I can see, but you can probably claim a distant relation to most new themes that come out.

I would LOVE to see a Historic theme, but I doubt it will happen. I can only hope for an eventual rennaisance or Colonial Era theme that doesn't focus on castles or pirate ships. (Nothing against Pirates :grin: )

I would LOVE to see a Historic theme, but I doubt it will happen. I can only hope for an eventual rennaisance or Colonial Era theme that doesn't focus on castles or pirate ships. (Nothing against Pirates :grin: )

But without ships or castles, what would we get?

...There have really been no direct corellations between the CMFs and later themes except for repeated themes (Ninja, Pharoah's Quest)...

You're right that the CMFs probably aren't really done with the themes in view, but as long as, for some of them, there will be related themes, might we not speculate on which ones those could be? Of course, chances are we'll be wrong, and even if the knights/forestpeople did in anyway forshadow this castle theme, I don't think LEGO would use the same emblems anyways.

...Reusing a CMS shield pattern in a normal line or vice versa is just a wasted opportunity in my opinion. (Like with the S9 Hero Knight figure.)

I agree, I wouldn't want a CMF to have their shield translated directly into another theme. If anyone wants to army build, there's plenty of opportunity with the CMF, no need for an entire theme to be based off it (the emblem). But I do think that the Knight in Shining armor's shield is sufficiently different from the other Castle (I think that was the theme that used crowns) ones to make it good enough.

I hope that the CMFs popularity might inspire Lego to make new themes along these lines.

While dissapointed with the Heroic Knoght's Crown shield, I am glad that it varies from the standard crown. I was excited about the Black Falcon's return in the joust set, but I really want a larger oval version. I agree that a new crest gives more potential for army building and the Deer, Boar, Tree round Dragon and plain round shields have been some of my favorite things to come out of the CMF line.

Army building isn't always easy with the CMFs, especially with this new Forest Maiden being limited to each box. I love having multiples of the same shield. I don't take traditional heraldy into account because that isn't what I do with my figures. And I've never considered LEGO to be realistic. But I agree, the CMF shields have been some of the best. Almost makes the new crown shield to be a bit boring in comparison.