Santaduckz

Best/Worst designed licenced minifigure ever?

I think Lego did a brilliant job with all the Toy Story minifigures :thumbup:

The minifigures I distaste right now are actually the TMNT turtles for the reason why some of you hate the TCW clones..their goofy eyes..

I grew up with the old Turtles so that's probably the reason why, but I can't stand those eyes :sceptic:

79100-1.jpg

To be fair, that's Mikey. He looks like an idiot because he's an idiot. I don't really like either of his faces but that's his personality.

The other Turtles don't look as goofy and IMO are 9/10 minifigures. The only reason they're not 10 is because you can still improve them (arm printing, side of leg printing, shells at the neck look meh, Lego nunchucks and bo staffs suck, I'm sick of characters like Wolverine and Shredder HOLDING their claws, lets give minifigures wrist pieces already, etc).

I can't really name a favorite or least favorite design wise, as I justify things too easily, but I think that Squidward's original variation is probably the worst, due to the lack of a head mold and drastic color changes from the television version. As someone who designs figures for a hobby, I think that for a good design, not just detailing, a figure has to go above and beyond the source material which few licensed figures have done successfully. Some minifigures can be beautifully designed, but be based on something ugly (most Clone Wars figures fall under this). It is hard for me to name one figure as my favorite, even from just a genre (if you could consider licensed that), but I think I have to choose this year's version of The Joker. I am normally really picky about what he looks like, not that he ever changes much, but this figure not only satisfies me but has wonderful coloring, detailing, and doesn't feel too tied down to any one depiction.

I'm sick of characters like Wolverine and Shredder HOLDING their claws, lets give minifigures wrist pieces already, etc).

Last I heard, LEGO does not consider removing minifigure hands, arms, or legs, from the torso/hips "legal" since there is a risk of cracking or damaging, so it is unlikely that would happen. There are still a few solutions to characters with claws, the more obvious would be a new hand mold, but I would prefer that they still hold it, but the bar be turned sideways (kind of like on some shields) so the hand and claws would at least be positioned more realistically and be removable.

Edited by Superficial Username

That's a good point Superficial Username. I hadn't thought about removing the hands as being an illegal move on TLG's guidelines. I remove things all the time fully knowing the risk, but I guess they would release the pieces together already to avoid that. I removed Bilbo's hand to put the ring around his wrist so I don't lose it. I don't mind so much that they hold the claws. It doesn't look bad IMO, and it isn't like they could hold something else anyway with the claws overhanging the top of the hand, so it may be pointless to allow a wrist attachment. Didn't the original concept art of Wolverine show a new hand mold basically just being a claw. That looked horrible. Him holding it at least looks like he still has a physical hand and claws.

Actually, BrickForge has a beautifully designed new style of hand-held "fighting claws", with the grip turned at 90 degrees, and the claws on the back of the hand just like they should be... Perfect for Wolverine and Shredder! They also have more realistic sais for Raphael, better designed shuriken throwing stars, straight ninjato swords, and kunai, etc.

I'll vote for the Turtles as the best figures, although they deserve better official weapons molds.

And I'll vote for Trixie from speed racer as the worst of the whole line, since she started that awful "loin-cloth with thong-back" look over bare legs... OMG, talk about a "fashion don't"! =P

Fine for Slave Leia and Islander girls, NOT fine for the CMF surfer dude or CMF Caesar!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

The best licenced minifigure has got to be Maccus from the Pirates of the Caribbean sets. As with nearly all the minifigures from that line, he is as accurate as he ever could be. Plus, who doesn't like hammerhead sharks, even in minifigure form?

As for the worst licenced minifigure ever, my choice has got to be that dreadful Juno Eclipse minifigure shown off in the 1st post. Accurate or not, it is simply dreadful and just doesn't look like an official LEGO design to me. Don't ask me how, I just don't think it looks like an official LEGO design.

Edited by Bounty Hunter Supreme

I have to say that I feel the best figure woud be Eomer on horse just for his finer details. :thumbup: The worst I would say are the Uruk-hai, I just feel that they look like they have sunburn and that if they all were the same tone as lurtz they would be much better. :thumbdown:

Best licensed minifigure: April O Neal from TMNT I really love her outfit.

Worst licensed minifigure: Guard from Super Heroes theme - the torso is unoriginal, but his appearance is just a simple cop.

Edited by JeagerEX

There's so many really good figs it's really hard to pick just one or even just one theme. If I had to, I think I'd have to say my current favorite is Shaak Ti. Even though she's Clone Wars, the headpiece mould and the printing both contribute to what I believe is the most beautiful minifig in my collection.

While on the subject of SW, I will nomiate the previously mentioned Aldar Beedo (either version) as the absolute worst minifig in LEGO history. The single piece one looks like some solidified plastic slag that dripped out from the mould whilst a legitamate LEGO piece was being formed. The hodgepodge fig looks like a deformed hunchback battle droid reject. Taking that idea into consideration, I would take pity on the creature and put it out of it's misery.

And I personally hate the polybag Hulk minifigure.

I agreed of what you said. Because the promotional Hulk minifigure is kinda reminds me of Muscle Man from Regular Show.

I like the promo Hulk. I consider him to be the Lou Ferrigno version, while the Helicarrier one is the CG version. They both have their places. I wish I owned him.

My personal least favourite licensed minifig is the original Squidward, he looks like he's got his head stuck in a jam jar. I'm also not too fond of Gollum; he's a long way from "worst," but his arms keep falling off and he's so scrunched up that it's hard for him to hold his fishy.

Best licensed minifig, hmm, toughie. I really like the Fellowship minifigs, all of them, especially the hobbits because their facial expressions are so perfect that it's remarkably easy to identify them at a glance. I'll go with Merry as my favourite. The mischievous grin is spot on.

I actually love Gollum the more I deal with him. But unfortunately his arms do fall off a bit more than I'd like. But you can turn one of the arms around and it is like he is holding something out to you. So it's pretty neat.

There are too many good ones to make out a clear winner, but the most disappointing minifig for me was definetly the new Spiderman:

sh038.jpg

I can't remember any "update" that was so much worse than its predecessor.

The Red Head on the blue torso with red Print? The ridiculous muscles? No, just... No.

Old Spidey was an awesome minifig, new Spidey looks like a Bodybuilder in Pyjamas and a Halloween-Mask.

Here's the old one for reference:

spd001.jpg

Edited by DarthBrickus

I must admit I just don't get the contempt for the new Spider-Man; from all the pics I've seen, it looks really good, though I have a hard time deciding whether I like it or one of the older versions (2002-2004) more. I haven't actually seen the actual figure in person, though, just in photos and renderings; perhaps my opinion will change when I finally get one of my own.

My "best" choice: Indiana Jones, specifically the "classic" Indy found in all sets from the first year. It has just the right amount of detail, and introduced new parts (fedora, whip and shoulder bag) that have all gotten additional uses outside the theme. I will admit to a certain amount of favoritism in my selection (in that I'm simply a huge Indy fan anyway), but it really is an excellent minifigure, IMO.

Best: Star Wars Boba Fett (from last year's Slave 1). Just lots of detail and a great look.

Worst: I would agree that the Star Wars Clone Wars humans look really bad. I would also add in Avengers Captain America - I just don't like the head and darker colors. I guess it's also personally disappointing because Caps one of my favorite Marvel characters.

See, I'm largely the opposite - not only do I think Captain America looks really good, but I'm also not entirely sure the newer versions of Boba Fett are all that good. I do appreciate being able to turn his head now that the helmet is no longer attached to the backpack, but it looks too top-heavy, especially with the huge range finder, and I like the older print a bit more, too. I'm considering sticking with the older versions of Boba in my own builds, even though I have a couple of the newer figures already and will get more from some of the current sets I have yet to pick up. I could see a case for choosing the last couple years' versions of Boba Fett for the worst licensed minifigure, though I'm not quite sure I'm ready to go that way myself just yet.

BEST Licensed Minifigure, to my eyes, is Indiana Jones. The new fedora, the satchel, the right amount of printing on the torso and the holster on the legs. LEGO did a really good job at transposing the old charm, and the rugged and beaten nature of Indy into a minifigure. That Indy came in every set didn't diminish the well-executed design. Really, come to think LEGO Indiana Jones gave us a lot of really good licensed minifigures, including Henry Jones Snr and Mola Ram.

That being said, the title of Best Licensed Minifigure for me is also a close tie with Jango Fett. There's a simple, sleek simplicity to his design which I find appealing, in addition to the silver and blue colour scheme. It also helps that he's frustratingly rare! :laugh:

WORST Licensed Minifigure is, beyond a doubt, every single Podracer character ever made. Aldar Beedo especially, going by the pictures posted on this thread. Bleeeegh. :sceptic:

There are too many good ones to say a BEST I think. But I love the Hobbits, Boromir and Gimli, new Jabba, Jawas (don't have any unfortunately), Sandtroopers, Aquaman, Harley Quinn, Venom....I could go on and on. :sweet::thumbup:

As for worst I'd have to say the Clone Wars figures...I hate those faces, they are absolutely hideous and they're not even compatible with other SW sets. Good thing the only ones I own are some clones so their faces are covered.

I dunno if he's the best, but my favorite licensed minifig is the new Sebulba, because of how non-standard he is and how unlike the original (lazy) representation of him.

I think the worst licensed minifigs are all the Speed Racer and Avatar: The Last Airbender figures, simply because their almost uniform lack of hairpieces (and helmet visors in the case of Speed Racer) makes them feel unfinished to me.

Well, I'm not the only one who sees Aldar Beedo as the worst licensed minifig ever.

Seriously, what the hell? They made a mold for Sebulba, so they could have done one for that poor guy too.

Most of the The Clone Wars minifigures are also pretty bad but I wouldn't say that it's the case for all of them: Quinlan Vos for example looks great, Shaak Ti too)

Best minifigure? Hard to say, there are plenty of minifigs who are just awesome. I think my favourite one, the minifig I was most looking forward to at the time, is the Epi III Clone trooper.

Greetings

-Bane

I now have a favorite fig: Turtles!!

I bought a few sets today and man are they awesome! They just make me grin, I love 'em! :wub:

Edited by Legocrazy81

I must admit I just don't get the contempt for the new Spider-Man; from all the pics I've seen, it looks really good, though I have a hard time deciding whether I like it or one of the older versions (2002-2004) more. I haven't actually seen the actual figure in person, though, just in photos and renderings; perhaps my opinion will change when I finally get one of my own.

I initially hated the figure, but my opinion has softened on it. Really it's not a bad figure, but it's not a good figure either. It's just ok...

My problems are relatively simple. First off it's overly cartoony with the oversized eyes and bright colors. The excessive amount of blue really adds to the cartoon look of it, making it brighter than Spider man should be. And the printing is rather simplistic. And it lacks the details that the other superheroes figs have (No leg printing kind of sucks, plus silver for the webbing on the suit would have been nice, it looked good on the last fig). Overall there's nothing special about it, and against the other more detailed figs it just looks out of place. Plus the fact that it's based on the cartoon rather than the movie is a big letdown right off the bat.

Like I said, it's ok. But an okay fig in a lineup of awesome minifigures is disappointing.

There are too many good ones to say a BEST I think. But I love the Hobbits, Boromir and Gimli, new Jabba, Jawas (don't have any unfortunately), Sandtroopers, Aquaman, Harley Quinn, Venom....I could go on and on. :sweet::thumbup:

LOL, good one...

I particularly like the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit minifigures. They have brilliant printing and are true to the appearance of the characters in the films. If I had to choose a favourite I'd probably go with King Theoden because of the detail on his armour and the gravitas of his facial expression. The Ringwraith minifig is good as well, as it really captures their foreboding, shadow-like quality. I'm looking forward to seeing the future minifigs of this line. In the early days of the Star Wars theme I thought the Darth Maul minifigure was pretty cool. The head printing is good and I also liked the double lightsaber.