Rick

10233 Horizon Express

That part is for 9v train lights and have no real utility if you already have transparent bricks to simulate your highlights. It is not really conducting light, it is just transparent.

To be honest, I don't really know much about the 12v system (only have two car motors+battery boxes). I never seen a 12v train motor... :-(

Why not just adding a 2x2 light brick into the train noze? If you have one, you could try this:

-open the noze by removing the big orange wedges

-take of the sides with the orange and white tiles and rounded slopes maintained by the brackets

-take the two yellow brackets one stud backwards

-remove that brown 2x4 tile

and then I think you will have enough space to add the 12v+cable (just let 1 stud space between transparent headlight bricks and your light to let the light pass).

And then, rebuilt the train noze.

I think there is not enough place for two lights... Even one light requires some little modifications.

I just bought 2 of the sets yesterday. I built one yesterday and will build the other tonight. Are there any MOC instructions or designs for redesigned internals for the two passenger cars so I don't end up with 2 of each? Like maybe a sleeper car or something?

I've had some news for us living Oz.....this set will be a Myer exclusive.....when is the question and I guess the possibility of other countries having this set as a single retailer exclusive too. :wink:

Got my two HE's ready yesterday....motorized and lights are also present!!

8380771771_ac543f41df.jpg

Great train.. fitting in the PF batterybox, receiver, motor and lights is peanuts!!

I have 2x Horizon Express set. I therefore need to make 1 extra jakob bogie and to add a little bit on the orange tiles between the wheels on two of the carriages. I have taken out the part inside the locomotive to fit the PF-equipment (as shown in the instructions). Here is the list of the parts I needed in addition to the spare parts that was left over:

deleliste_horizon.jpg

Here is an image of my modification, and link to the LDD-file:

skjermbilde_2013-01-16_kl._12.35.23.png

Edited by HenrikLego

I find it both fascinating and infuriating that Lego made a set that all of us are going to "have" to buy two of. I mean, I have to have two. There's no question. Sooo pretty. And it seems like everyone else here will, as well. Just makes me "ugh" and yet "squee" at the same time.

I find it both fascinating and infuriating that Lego made a set that all of us are going to "have" to buy two of. I mean, I have to have two. There's no question. Sooo pretty. And it seems like everyone else here will, as well. Just makes me "ugh" and yet "squee" at the same time.

I think that two sets are too much.

Cargo sets have 3 wagons.

I'm going to buy only an additional engine.

This way you don't have to build a new jakob bogie.

It seems to me as a very smart way to be able to sell additional wagons without the need to actually create individual wagon sets. If they were to put 2 engines and 1 wagon in a box, people would think twice before buying a second set...

I think it looks stunning with two full sets, it captures the flavour of todays high-speed trains and a shortened version (2 x engines & 2 x carriages) just wouldn't look right to me. Whereas, 7938 looks fine in both long & short configurations.

The thing that gets me is its length. Now I've had the Maersk pull six wagons and it looks really good on the straights and the bends, but the HE doesn't sit well for me on a small layout.

Its like having a top of the range Ferrari to pop to the local shops to pick up milk. You need to open up the taps and hammer it :wink: , as this is what its designed for. The same with the HE it needs really long straights to show off its lines, then reality kicks in and space becomes the issue as does the number of available straights :sceptic:

As I don't have a permanent layout, I'm going to set up a nice long straight in the hall and watch it go back and forth till the batteries run out.... :grin:

I'll be building my second set this weekend, I think. I ordered the extra bits I need for the bogie and modified underside yesterday as well.

Still think it's a bit of an oversight of Lego not to include the extra bits, considering they designed the set to be connected. Anyway, I learned all about wanted lists on BrickLink and how to create them by parting sets, so it's all good!

I've had some news for us living Oz.....this set will be a Myer exclusive.....when is the question and I guess the possibility of other countries having this set as a single retailer exclusive too. :wink:

Thanks Lightning! That news is awesome! Especially when Myer runs a sale! I hope they just start stocking them soon before I get click happy and pick two up online!

To answer the lighting questiy on - the 12V red and black 1x6 bricks and prisms are probably the best way to allow 1 PF light to power two 'headlights' whilst the second can act as a '3rd' light above.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4170

and

2x http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4171

4170.gifand 4171.gif

I have now finished building my trains (Apart from fitting the P/F bits.) and its is looking fine. I have modified the middle truck to be another Jacobs Bogie and altered the underside of both coaches to fit with that. I have even modified the 2nd dining car to be just an ordinary passenger coach.

The thing that gets me with this as well as other passenger trains even with the EN, is the lack of passengers! I mean can you really believe that any train company would get far with coaches that seated three or maybe four at a push passengers? It just looks ridiculous, even my long 46 stud coaches I built myself only manage to carry about twenty two passengers, which is nowhere near as ,any as a real coach carries. I know it is because of the width, but come on LEGO, surely you can do batter than four seats per coach!

It just looks ridiculous, even my long 46 stud coaches I built myself only manage to carry about twenty two passengers, which is nowhere near as ,any as a real coach carries. I know it is because of the width, but come on LEGO, surely you can do batter than four seats per coach!

They have to make a compomise between seats and features to make it more attracting to buy

Its better if they include some features than giving us seats only

And of course it's lego so you can give your own personal touch to it

Finaly got mine in the post yesterday. Built one of my two sets last night, a very nice and fun build.

Very very good looking train, even my wife was impressed and thats saying something if you know my wife she hates mine and my sons lego.

So it must be good.

going to bild the 2nd one over the weekend and put two 9v motors on and see how she runs.

Looking into get some pf light in there to run off the 9v motors. I think i will put one of my dead 9v motors in the rear to power the rear lights. They free wheel quite well without the motor inside and i can use the pickups to power the rear cab.

Waiting on parts i orders about a month ago to make the 3rd jacob boggie then i am done.

Lego worked out to be the cheapest.

Bricklink is a close 2nd.

But i also got some new free lego thing proberly worth about $10.

Shipping was ok about 10 days to get to me.

Edited by Lazarus

So what did it cost in the end?

Tempted to order at least one for now; and pick another up when Toyworld (or whoever) get them around April.

well $480nz all up.

80 for shipping.

note shipping for one of them is $70nz. dont know how that works :-)

also who knows what price toyworld will put it up for they are normaly a few percent more than the warehouse.

Its alot of cash but once you have the sets you wont regret also one just would not look right.

Buying two wouldn't be so bad but I'm already thinking about number 3 to get parts for stretching the carriages...

I think two of them are already at a guess about 15+ streights long.

I am going to go out and have to buy another 30 streights just to get a nice run going. And i am a 9v man

Man, that will definately rack up the costs.

Where do you buy your 9v straights from?