Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

ok, nothing crazy like a 4wheeled bunny, nothing like willys, defender or G, no midnight pumpkin or vanessas lunchbox.

we will see many suv and other boring things with big spoilers, cow bars and exhaust pipes.

not many possibilitys with this scrappy high chassis

ok, nothing crazy like a 4wheeled bunny, nothing like willys, defender or G, no midnight pumpkin or vanessas lunchbox.

we will see many suv and other boring things with big spoilers, cow bars and exhaust pipes.

not many possibilitys with this scrappy high chassis

You are right, I am angry with Lego, we like to design mechanism not to build bodys... a least it is for me. I thought it was a Technic challenge not a model challenge...

The real introduction of the challenge starts at 5:40, so you can skip the first part. Nothing interesting there.

How are people going to design a new body, without having a 9398 set? It's an expensive set, and a lot of people (including me) don't have one.

this was wrote on technicbricks

You don't have to buy the original Crawler' date=' to make and submit your design to the Challenge.

You can even submit just a drawing or a sketch about your idea. Don't need to build it in real bricks. Then if this becomes the wining idea, it's the job of the LEGO designers to "brickform" your idea.[/quote']

i dont think that a drawing could win

Edited by efferman

So you dont need original 9398 to win, yet you need to build a body on its chassis?

TBH i thought you would have to build a model inspired by 9398 not in top of it!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

It's a bit disappointing, but probably to be expected. Redesigning only the body probably avoids lots of problems for TLG when it comes to cost, reliability etc. It may not be the competition many AFOLs would like, but the prize is still something money can't buy and it might inspire some younger builders, in particular, to be more creative with Lego. And isn't that the ultimate point?

It's a bit disappointing, but probably to be expected. Redesigning only the body probably avoids lots of problems for TLG when it comes to cost, reliability etc. It may not be the competition many AFOLs would like, but the prize is still something money can't buy and it might inspire some younger builders, in particular, to be more creative with Lego. And isn't that the ultimate point?

I say yes to be more creative with Lego but I think in Technic we have to be more creative with Lego primarily building mechanisms... Lego lost a great opportunity to see many designs of crawlers betters than 9398 but I guess we'll see anyway :laugh: , money talks...

To help with the discussion here, he are the transcribed words from Conchas' TechnicBRICKS YOU DESIGN IT - THEY MAKE IT article:

"And yes! It is like the rumors we have heard since the London Toyfair last January, which later I got to know in more detail.

In a few sentences, lets see what is it all about:

•You're challenged to create your own LEGO Technic model based on the 9398 4x4 Crawler flagship released this year.

Just what you need is to keep the chassis and built anything on top of it. Of course it doesn't need to look like a 4x4 Crawler.

•The LEGO Technic team is eager to see which models the fans will come up with and which functions you can add to this model.

•You don't have to buy the original Crawler, to make and submit your design to the Challenge.

You can even submit just a drawing or a sketch about your idea. Don't need to build it in real bricks. Then if this becomes the wining idea, it's the job of the LEGO designers to "brickform" your idea.

•The winning design is finalized with a LEGO Technic Designer.

•The new set will become available in the summer of 2013 as a 20.000 units Limited Edition along with the new 2013 flagship release and it will be available through D2C (Direct 2 Consumer) channels.

•You can use any parts to go on top of the chassis, and LEGO Technic Team is even open to customize some parts for this small production run (e.g. the wheels or something else they still don't know - it's up to you!).

The intent is not really to make big profit from this special model, but to engage with the LEGO Technic fans community. Hence the small production will allow to create such fancy elements (if it turns to be the case).

•It is not yet clear for me whether you can submit only one, or several models.

•On the 1st of October the Campaign will start and you can upload your design at technic.LEGO.com until 31.Dec (11:59 PM). The sooner you'll do it, the better chances to get an higher number of votes or supporters to your design. This is important as you will see below.

•Then after returning from holidays, the Technic team will pick top 100 fan voted models and select the best 10, that will follow to the "Go-vote" campaign with the fans.

•On 2013 CW2-3, the "Go-vote" campaign will start and the winner announcement should happen on the 22nd of February.

•If will be followed by the design of the final model according to LEGO Technic design frame rules and the pre-order campaign should start on 1st July 2013.

•On 1st of August 2013 the sales will start through D2C

As criteria for the designers to select the 10 best models, you may think of:

•Overall coolness

•Design details

•Belief that other people will want to buy your design

•Great color schema

•It is build-able with LEGO Technic elements

•Well though functions

•Model/age relationship

•Copy of any 3rd party properties or trademark will be eliminated as a potential winner....

And here are the main keywords for you to read shortly.

•Something Special!... How could we make a Technic model special?

•... a product to life we cannot do in a standard retail product.

•How can we make it special is something we will find out during the competition.

Set free you imagination, and take your chance!" :classic:

Using Conchas' YouTube video posted above, below is when Niels Hendrik talks about the 2012 Legp Technic Challenge details (Conchas'

):

Edited by DLuders

I don't think I'll participate, but please add some extras functions too, like working winch, or whatever. A body itself is really just... a body

If The Lego Group is only going to sell 20,000 of the "Limited Edition" using "Direct to Consumer" channels, it is likely that it will be mostly AFOLs (with some money in their pocket) will be the ones purchasing this set. There was no mention about setting a USD $199.99 maximum price "set point", so one could possibly add additional Power Functions motors, gearing, and parts on the "body shell" to make it "special".

Maybe one could utilize TLG's licenses for past Lego themes (to make it more appealing to fans of other Lego themes)?

batman_monster_truck.jpgbatman-monster-truck-wheelie.jpg

Edited by DLuders

"You can use any parts to go on top of the chassis, and LEGO Technic Team is even open to customize some parts for this small production run (e.g. the wheels or something else they still don't know - it's up to you!)."

How about the Chromebricks.com chromed wheels like Paul Boratko (Crowkillers) likes to use on his MOCs, or other chromed parts that Bricksonwheels likes to use on his MOCs?

3981471844_94a7939e97_z.jpg6554358049_a21f3cd892_z.jpg

"You can use any parts to go on top of the chassis, and LEGO Technic Team is even open to customize some parts for this small production run (e.g. the wheels or something else they still don't know - it's up to you!)."

conchas has written

Just what you need is to keep the chassis and built anything on top of it. Of course it doesn't need to look like a 4x4 Crawler.

does it mean chassis with or without tires?

by the way, this is the base. lets go

8039188620_f43778abeb.jpg

101_9776 von efferman auf Flickr

Chromed power pullers... :classic:

Recall (from my pictures below) that the 9398's stock tires (the 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44R Balloon") WILL FIT on the 22969 "Power Puller" wheels, so this may be a GREAT CHANCE to get those rare Power Puller wheels back into circulation! The TLG did indicate that "The intent is not really to make big profit from this special model...", so maybe the Challenge entry could include the 32298 Power Puller TIRES too! :sweet:

Lego Technic 22969 "Power Puller" Wheels on Two Left Tires / Normal Lego 44772+54120 Wheel+Tire Combination on Right Two Examples:

7720098044_d535d65a6e_c.jpg

Lego Unimog 92912 Tire on 44772 Wheel / Lego 9398 Crawler with 4 Shiny Lego 22969 Power Puller Wheels & 54120 Tires / Stock Black Lego 44772 Wheel + 54120 Tire in Middle:

7720194006_5c7b1685a8_c.jpg

Edited by DLuders

The "challenge" may be to "think outside of the box" -- what could be placed on top of that chassis that efferman shows above? :oh:

Lucas+Oil+Off+Road+Racing+Series+GaYD-jcqOfwl.jpgmercedes-monster-truck-02.jpg13642585-camouflage-green-military-or-army-off-road-truck-without-driver.jpg

-1473726850.jpghmmwv-avenger.jpgRed+arrow+9_anti_tank_missile_system_norinco_china_.jpgcme_750.gif

Edited by DLuders

Too bad the chassis isn't all black and/or gray. Being mostly red will clash with certain color schemes for the body.

I hope multiple entries will be allowed. Do I understand correctly that voting will begin as soon as models are uploaded? So if I submit a design during the first week of October, I'll have three month's worth of voting potential? Whereas if I were to submit a design during the final week of December, I only have a few days of voting?

Maybe the 9398's chassis can be recolored to make it either (1) more realistic, or (2) MORE COLORFUL to get more rare colors into circulation? Blue, Purple, Teal, and Green colors would be useful in other MOCs. Maybe one could SPRAY PAINT *oh2* Technic parts to create the desired colors in the Challenge entry. I know that Mahjqa would like to have MORE TEAL parts.... :wink:

8039188620_f43778abeb_c.jpg41-1I9GPMNL._SL500_SS500_.jpg5450854606_4ece968890.jpg

COMPLETE LDD COLOR CHART from the Eurobricks Digital Designer Forum:

ldd_color_chart_complete.png

Edited by DLuders

Maybe one could SPRAY PAINT *oh2*

Haha, that is a joke... right? I thought about using Photoshop to change the color of my design. That would be fairly easy, and if done correctly, will look realistic.

Quick example of color changing:

tLz03.jpg

spOpV.jpg

@ VFracingteam: With the (limited) Challenge information provided so far, it says "Just what you need is to keep the chassis and built anything on top of it....You can use any parts to go on top of the chassis, and LEGO Technic Team is even open to customize some parts for this small production run (e.g. the wheels or something else they still don't know - it's up to you!)." As mentioned earlier, TLG knows that its chassis DESIGN is durable and proven -- I would not think they would care if some/all of the chassis parts were recolored.

"As criteria for the designers to select the 10 best models, you may think of:

•Overall coolness

•Design details

•Belief that other people will want to buy your design

:classic: •Great color schema :classic:

•It is build-able with LEGO Technic elements

•Well though functions

•Model/age relationship

•Copy of any 3rd party properties or trademark will be eliminated as a potential winner...."

@ Conchas: Since you seem to have had some advance "inside information" about the 2012 Lego Technic Challenge, could you contact TLG Technic Designers and clarify some of the questions posed in this topic, in advance of the official Challenge Rules "announcement" coming on Technic.Lego.com ?

Not all of the potential 9398 body shell designs need to be "serious". From the popular "Monster Jam" series: :laugh:

8270010414b5dd1f455e08_large.jpgMonster_Jam_2008-13.jpg

Edited by DLuders