Darthluke824

Crazy eBay Finds

It's only worth 13k so he wants twice as much as it's worth plus the sets are all 2nd hand at least it is all Lego and not Legos whatever that is!

Hmmm, that's surprisingly shocking and enlightening at the same time. Looks like the seller intends to use the impressive list of sets in this so-called complete collection to "overwhelm" the potential buyer and subtly force the buyer to not bother to double-check the actual price of the sets. That's one clever and deceitful tactic alright. :hmpf_bad::thumbdown:

He says it's worth 40k but 8is selling it 'cheap' but people are saying it's a rip-off?

That's what the seller said, but I'd assume potential buyers even with half a brain would try to verify the actual price of the whole collection before actually purchasing this lot. Unless the buyer is filthy rich and doesn't care about the $.

EDIT: I'll retract my statement until there's proof of the actual current value of the whole collection. I might just be interested enough to verify this...

This was posted by Jeff in the Brickpicker.com forums, thought I would pass it on:

I grabbed all the set ids from the eBay listing and ran it through the database and then did a few manually. I came up with approximately $28,000 for that entire collection. So even if I missed something, I will throw in an extra $1000 USD just to cover everything. They are still well overpriced (they have it valued at $39,262.50 with the currency conversion. I don’t think convenience of not having to go out and find them is worth $10k.

By the way, the values I used were based on ‘New’ condition, I know a lot of the setup is used and I didn’t feel like doing each one individually. The used value was closer to $16-$17k, so it makes the lot very overpriced.

Wow, if these estimates are accurate, then i find this rather shocking! I hope that any serious buyer will go through the trouble of actually verifying the price of each and every single set in the lot and doing the math himself to prevent a major rip-off.

He's not ripping anyone off, they're his sets and he can set the buy-it-now price at whatever he likes.

The general norm when selling something (especially second-hand items) is to set your price high, then the buyer comes in with a low offer and you haggle until you reach an acceptable middle ground.

He's already had a couple of offers, it's up to him whether he accepts them or not.

He's not ripping anyone off, they're his sets and he can set the buy-it-now price at whatever he likes.

The general norm when selling something (especially second-hand items) is to set your price high, then the buyer comes in with a low offer and you haggle until you reach an acceptable middle ground.

He's already had a couple of offers, it's up to him whether he accepts them or not.

I agree with you and I think that it is worth mentioning that a whole collection of something is nearly always worth more then the sum of its pieces. Try to buy everything mentioned in this auction one by one, this will take quite a while and will add a lot delivery costs to the calculation, I think.

Edited by Delta_02_Cat

I agree with you and I think that it is worth mentioning that a whole collection of something is nearly always worth more then the sum of its pieces.

Yes, truth, but there is also pricip that more you buy, greater discount you should get

+ first thing I would do is build every model, play with them for a few days and then dismantle them all and use parts for moccing, and that is just plain crazy :)

*huh* I wonder how this guy can prove he has every single Star Wars set. :look:

Really?

You're asking that despite the fact that he's selling the Visual Dictionary?

Really?

Most of the sets are third hand as he bought them 2nd hand. If i had the money I would not touch this at all!

Interesting!

I just wonder what Every set means every set means. For example has the original X-wing been released in two editions:

7140-1.jpg and 7142-1.jpg

To me that´s two different sets of the same model.

Or maybe I´m just to picky :laugh:!

Interesting!

I just wonder what Every set means every set means. For example has the original X-wing been released in two editions:

To me that´s two different sets of the same model.

Or maybe I´m just to picky :laugh:!

I would say it's the same set under two different numbers :laugh:.

Yes, truth, but there is also pricip that more you buy, greater discount you should get

+ first thing I would do is build every model, play with them for a few days and then dismantle them all and use parts for moccing, and that is just plain crazy :)

Discount don't work here. He's selling a whole complete SW collection. There's no collection like this to be found anywhere for sale right now (any maybe never). Yes, maybe you can collect the sets/parts cheaper of BL/Ebay (plus added a shxtload of shipping costs). But this a _collection_ they always cost more than the individual items

But you have to remember, there are actually people with pretty much unlimited financial power. If some kid with a father earning, lets say 100 million dollars a year, 25k£ is peanuts. Really, peanuts :hmpf:

I guess he's aiming for that .. some kid who's fallen in love with SW LEGO and want the lot. NOW!

And I think he might just get lucky .. lots of really rich kids out there ..

Now, is the price is reasonable? There's quite a good thread on Brickset about that :wink:

Discount don't work here. He's selling a whole complete SW collection. There's no collection like this to be found anywhere for sale right now (any maybe never). Yes, maybe you can collect the sets/parts cheaper of BL/Ebay (plus added a shxtload of shipping costs). But this a _collection_ they always cost more than the individual items

But you have to remember, there are actually people with pretty much unlimited financial power. If some kid with a father earning, lets say 100 million dollars a year, 25k£ is peanuts. Really, peanuts :hmpf:

I guess he's aiming for that .. some kid who's fallen in love with SW LEGO and want the lot. NOW!

And I think he might just get lucky .. lots of really rich kids out there ..

Now, is the price is reasonable? There's quite a good thread on Brickset about that :wink:

And E-bay is the perfect place to cater to those that just want to buy something quick at the expense of additional cost.

Really?

You're asking that despite the fact that he's selling the Visual Dictionary?

Really?

:hmpf_bad: Is this a joke? :wacko:

Wow if this is real, this probably means that someone has probably died and their spouse is sealing it. I couldn’t see a collector selling the whole lot while still breathing. :sceptic:

Edited by Rook

Most of the sets are third hand as he bought them 2nd hand. If i had the money I would not touch this at all!

I agree...and it's still overpriced.

Yeah... I'm wondering what's the main reason that's stopping people from bidding on this auction: the fact that the buy out price is set way higher than the estimated worth of the second/third hand collection, the fact that even a more accurate estimate of the worth is still a sh*t load of money, or the fact that most people (like myself) only really like less than half the sets in the collection.

Wow if this is real, this probably means that someone has probably died and their spouse is sealing it. I couldn’t see a collector selling the whole lot while still breathing. :sceptic:

It could be possible that he just wants to get rid of it. Before Lego, I used to collect all kinds of action figures until they took up too much room. I sadly sold them all for a good price and then got hooked back on Lego. Now Lego is taking up too much room. :cry_sad::laugh: I just wish I had more space and an infinite amount of money.