just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

Oh I am loving what I see, but that isn't much of a castle... Misnamed mayhaps chaps? As for the Raven, totally looking like a Zoid which has a 100% approval from myself. Lets see what else is in stor for us after a somewhat lackluster final wave from Ninjago.

I have add Large images to for the new sets to my BS Gallery (Needs to Clear)

But since after 1/2 hour of linking everything the small stupid editor window decided to delete my post so you will have to wait till BS clears them!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Edited by GRogall

True, but that can be said of nearly anything that appears in LEGO TV shows and specials. This is just an inevitable consequence of the size of sets-- typically, even if a vehicle has more than enough room for a minifigure or a structure has more than enough room for minifigures to move around, the vehicles will not be large enough to be comfortable and the structures will not be large enough to be livable. In the Ninjago series, almost every vehicle and setting is an example of this, but it's also evident in the Hero Factory TV show, in which the typical "Hero Craft" can carry an entire team of six, while the "Drop Ship" set on which it's based can carry one pilot and one Hero Pod for deploying a hero.

I wouldn't call this a flaw in either the shows or the sets. You don't want a set to ever be much bigger than it has to be to convey an idea, because that drives up the price and means fewer people can afford it. A spacious throne room might have a lot of atmosphere, but it means either cutting down the size and content in the rest of the castle or driving up the price. A vehicle that can serve as a flagship for all the characters in a theme is great for storytelling, but from a set design perspective it will mean large amounts of empty space unless the set comes with all of those characters, not to mention lots of amenities that the typical kid won't care much about such as a galley for meals, an engine room, a briefing room for all those missions, and latrines-- all depending on what kind of scenes are needed for the show. Needless to say, a full-scale Destiny's Bounty could easily cost more than $200 if it had all the features present in the show. A full-scale Monastery of Spinjitzu could end up surpassing $300.

And I don't think the settings and vehicles in the shows should be made smaller, either. Having each vehicle carry a single minifigure at most can be a hindrance if you need to get all the characters to one place. Castles and buildings that only have a handful of rooms and corridors will make for very repetitive settings. And of course it's hard to have a strong hierarchy of ideas if everything is sized according to the sizes of the sets-- the bad guys might seem unimposing if their evil headquarters can only support 2-3 inhabitants and as many prisoners. Overall, it's just a place where play and storytelling have different requirements, and have to be adapted to compensate.

Well, you're right about all big Lego sets from Lego movies being to small. In fact, that was just my point.

But I'm not saying that that is bad, because, for one reason, the sets would cost EXTREMELY much if they were the right size.

So apparently Leonidas is supposed to be the "goofy" character:

I'm kinda disappointed. The name "Leonidas" in general (or at least to me) sounds like a tough guy. He just looks drunk. :sceptic:

-Sci

Yeah, disappointing, but I didn't really like Leonidas before anyways, so not too bad. :sceptic:

Edited by Garmadon

These look awesome, especially the Croc sets. I know where my money is going in 2013...

Grogall's folder has (finally) been made public.

But it's all the same stuff from the Amazon pages, so...

Also, the box art has that floating island thing in the background, and in Razcal's Raven Glider, you can see the Gorilla head.

-Sci

Being that the names of each character are spelled in English, through your links I have discovered that...

The black wolf's name is Wilhurt (combo pun of Wilbur and "will hurt")

And the Raven leader is name Rawzom (R+ Awesome)

Its kinda fun to figure out all these puns.

EDIT: Looking at the box art, and there is a Croc girl. Her Name is Crooler. Being that she stands out as a fifth Croc, either she is significant to the story, or there will be at least one more character per tribe.

Edited by Penkid11

A bit Off-Topic, but I think that Equila's weapon (From the Wolf Vehicle) could make a very good rendition of Lord Garmadon's Mega Weapon, all you have to do is swap out the pole with a Gold Spear. Just an idea! :grin:

Back on topic, I'm liking the look of the sets, but the minifigures aren't doing it for me. They would look better if they had more clothes/armor. Some of them look great like Laval, but others like Crooler or Leonidas aren't really my thing.

Edited by Speedza-Demon

... Being that she stands out as a fifth Croc, either she is significant to the story, or there will be at least one more character per tribe.

I think there will be five animals per tribe:

Crocodiles:

Crominius (Commander)

Cragger

Crooler (girl)

Crawley

Crug (Mini, there are six!, anyway this is the brown one) Edit: :ugh: There's no crocodile named crocodiles... Only five then, but I don't see why to pick Crooler out rather than one of the others (maybe because she's crooler?) :tongue:

Wolfs:

Wazk (Commander?)

Winzar

Wilhurt

Ravens:

Rawzom (commander) (thanks Jargo!)

Razar

Rizzo

Razcal

Lions:

Laval (commander)

Longtooth

Lennox (my favorite of the lions)

Leonidas ( :thumbdown: )

Eagles:

_______ (Female Commander)

Equila

Eris (female)

Eglor ( :thumbup: )

Edited by Kai NRG

Although I'm far more pumped for Galaxy Squad, I can't deny the appeal of this theme (and the new pics aren't helping me resist!). The color schemes are very fresh. I really enjoy the multiple factions, it lends itself to favoritism (which is great for the kiddies). At first I didn't like the Eagles very much, but after looking closer, I think they are my favorite!

I'm actually somewhat interested in the story, as well. Lots of potential here.

Rawsome? Rawzom is what it says on amazon set images.

Opps :blush: (I guess I got a bit carried away with how awesome I think he is.. :grin: ), fixed!

Nope. I do not. :tongue:

Seriously though, this wave didn't impress me at all. That's it really. I'm sure the summer wave is going to be a better. I'll still be picking up a couple of small sets. :classic:

I agree. It's not that I'm disappointed though. The theme is well thought out and well executed--It's just not my cup of tea for the most part. I may buy one or two sets, and that new Raven set looks great, but overall, It's goofy (and in some cases reminiscent of megablocks) and I don't want to involve myself with the story. (on a positive note, though, it feels a bit like Bionicle did when I was a kid... Oh the halcyon days of youth. :wub: ) I like it better than Ninjago story-wise though, and I think it's setting itself up to be a tiny bit darker. I'm not sure how I feel about the massive quantity of new mask molds used in this. On one hand they look cool, on the other, they don't look Lego. I'm pleased that they use masks though, because I'll likely use the heads at some point. I don't like the new choppy wing piece either. Overall, it's nice, but not something I'd be interested in.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Some cool designs in there, but I feel like there's a lot of missed opportunities. The Croc ship just looks silly, not menacing, but the Croc bike makes up for it. I might be picking up a set or two, but I'll save full judgement for when they inevitably reveal the constraction figures.

Now that I've seen higher res pictures I don't think much of the wolf or lion vehicles but the crocs, ravens and eagles have some sweet ones. And the minifigures are excellent. I don't like the game element but I do like the parts in new colours.

I think kids will love this theme. Once the tv show starts and they see how it all works and start to identify with different characters they'll snap this stuff up. The good guys and bad guys do need castles or fortresses but there's time enough for those later.

I'm totally not interested in any 'constraction' figures. just not my thing. For me this is all about the croc and raven minifigures and parts.

Also the 'queen' in the Eagle's castle set could be a king. Royal dudes wear robes too. Just sayin'.

Edited by Jargo

Is it just me or does Razcal have rings all over his face? :laugh: Probably my favourite Raven character :thumbup:

I just love how detail-filled these figures are.

Finally caught that "sneak peak" I was talking about a page ago:

ChimaSiteTeaser.png

-Sci

Where did you find that? And why are their collectible minifigs in the background?

Is it just me or does Razcal have rings all over his face? :laugh: Probably my favourite Raven character :thumbup:

I just love how detail-filled these figures are.

Yeah rad facial piercing. He's bad to the bone. :devil:

I shall be army building Razar. Get some purple hands and switch out the hook for those on all but one. Leaving Rawzom as commander with Rizzo and Razcal as lieutenants. Build them an airborne aircraft carrier. :sweet:

Where did you find that? And why are their collectible minifigs in the background?

Saw that today, too. Seems it can show up on any page on Lego's site - with the background shining through.