Robominer

What do you do with LEGO set boxes?

Something that I've always done since 2006 is that I save all of my LEGO boxes. The only reason I keep them is because I can use them for future reference if I want to put a set back together after I've made a MOC.

What do you do with your boxes? :classic:

Something that I've always done since 2006 is that I save all of my LEGO boxes. The only reason I keep them is because I can use them for future reference if I want to put a set back together after I've made a MOC.

What do you do with your boxes? :classic:

How is that better than just keeping the instructions?

I have a file box full of instructions; I throw the boxes as I don't intend on selling the sets I built and if I ever do, for used, don't think it dramatically changes the price more than having instructions.

Right now I have the boxes from the sets I've bought, mostly just for collection, probably going to end up just saving the instructions like others have said.

The only ones I have been keeping are the large Star Wars ones that open up completely (Battle of Endor or AT-AT for instance) I use these to store my instructions and base plates. The rest I throw away... I'm having second thoughts on the Monster Fighters though, these boxes are gorgeous.

I started keeping every box, including the empty bags and sticker sheets from 2009 on. For some reason, I kept numerous boxes from '96 - '03 (ages 9-15). I just stick them in the attic with no clue for future use default_classic.gif

Keep the instructions for reference. Recycle the boxes.

How is that better than just keeping the instructions?

I have a file box full of instructions; I throw the boxes as I don't intend on selling the sets I built and if I ever do, for used, don't think it dramatically changes the price more than having instructions.

I keep the instruction books and send the boxes for recycling. Come on, I don't even have space for the LEGO itself...

Well, instructions can get lost and ripped (stupid dog :damn: ). To me, boxes are harder to lose and are more durable.

Did I mention I also keep my boxes to transport my LEGO sets from my house to my relatives' houses?

Edited by Robominer

I used to keep them, but they occupy too much space. I literally feel like I'm storing trash... of course, there can be some exceptions.

I have a huge crate full of instructions dating back to my first set in the early 1970's there's no way I'd haul the boxes round too. They've always been thrown out or more recently recycled. Besides a bunch of cardboard lying around only encourages dust mites and mice. Though i suppose a large collection of flattened boxes could make good loft insulation....

I use them to re-pack birthday and christmas presents or for shipping other LEGO in through my Bricklink store.

Early on, I kept them. Then they just started to take over. I do like the idea of just keeping the box fronts, kinda a cool idea. Might start doing that.

I recycle the boxes simply because... well, I don't have any-bloody-where to put them! I keep the instructions, but I'm starting to think I'll soon need a larger storage area for those.

I keep the instruction books and send the boxes for recycling. Come on, I don't even have space for the LEGO itself...

Exactly the same here. Why on earth would I save the boxes for sets I have opened/built...

There's enough space taken by the mountain of instructions and the built sets :I

I only save the boxes from my favourite theme: Pirates of the Caribbean. All the other boxes are recycled. Before I recycle them I do cut out the front art. Saves a lot of place. I might just throw them away if I get too many LEGO sets. :classic:

I have saved one or two from sets I really like, mostly things like Emerald Night or the Maersk train. These I use at the moment to store my instructions in. Most of the ordinary ones though I just recycle as there simply is not room to keep them even in the attic. My older instructions from many years ago were just stuck in a carrier bag in the attic but have now been sorted into these few boxes. They may end up back in the attic soon though now they are sorted, just in the boxes instead.

When I was little, we didn't have the space to keep the boxes, but I have a collection of alternate builds from the boxes which we cut out and kept.

Since coming out of my dark ages, I've been keeping the boxes...but only because space isn't really an issue at the moment.

I hang on to some for the art/pictures. I'm actually considering framing some....

That's what I used to do as well. My bedroom walls were almost completely covered with boxes... and then I had to move. Goodbye boxes!

Right now I only have a few(old 9v train boxes) that I hold onto and hang on the wall. Anything else I now buy gets thrown out. I'm already limited for space and I can't have empty boxes take up that space. The instructions on the other hand I keep in a 3 ring binder for reference.

I keep the boxes from the sets i get which have them, though i'm not really worrie if i can get a set without a box. Do enjoy looking at the older kingdom boxes sometimes with the setup fights etc. Brings back memories :classic:

I keep mine in a big box. I have my Republic frigate box and all of the other smaller boxes contain instructions inside the box

Currently, I flatten the boxes and store them in a big Amazon box. Instructions are kept in a somewhat smaller Amazon box ;)

Currently I keep/flatten all of my boxes just because I like the artwork. Certain multiple sets or themes that I don't particularly care for usually get tossed. I have the room right now, but I know there will come a time when I won't want all these random boxes sitting about. I do love the artwork though. I wish I had some of my earlier Pirates/Castle boxes from the early 90s. As far as instructions go, I have been keeping my newer sets in an accordion folder, but with all of the sets I currently own, they just pile up into a box. There is absolutely no way I could keep all of them in a binder/folder without taking up even more space than the bricks themselves.