SirSven7

The LEGO Idea Books

Hello all, I am not sure if many people are aware of this or not, but back in the 80s and 90s LEGO released a load of idea books aimed at helping children explore with LEGO. Included within these books were one or two instructions as well.

So to cut a long story short, I found all the old ones which focused on castle sets and complied them all together into one article on one page. Below is the link if anyone is interested in seeing a Classic Carriage, a sawmill, a forestmens blacksmiths and much more.

The Castle Idea Books

Cheers all

Great collection with several pics I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing. :)

I haven't seen most of those pictures before, so thanks for sharing. Those books look sweet. It makes me sad how much Lego has changed over the years. Yes, we have more detailed prints and figures and pieces, but I will always miss the late 80s/early 90s when I was growing up with them. Crusaders/Falcons/Black Knights/Forestmen... too many great factions to forget.

Some of the castles look exactly like something I would be impressed with when they first came out. It was a nice nostalgic feeling seeing these.

Just looked thruogh that link quickly since im in a hurry.

But for sure i have time for a quick reply.

That is simply awesome ! ... I recall i really really wanted some of those as a kid but never got them.

Im gonna visit that link again as soon as i find the time.

Thanks for sharing !! :)

I see you tacked some of the prototype shots onto the end. All those parts we could have had but never did. The puffy sleeves, the round topped shutters, the 4444 panels with ivy print. There are some in there I spy that we did receive eventually, the Brick, Modified Facet 3 x 3 x 2 Top on the well.

Thanks. I'm fortunate to have owned this books since the 80's and looking through your images and compared to my current LEGO collection, I can see that the books influenced my sets. I have a lot of civilian castle sets as opposed to military ones.

Hmm, why am I so interested in every topic you make? :look: I guess we have the same classical fixation when it comes to LEGO. :laugh:

My favorite is the Lion Knight's castle, something about it looks really epic. It's my desktop now. :tongue: A project to recreate all of these would be awesome, unfortunately my Classic Castle colleciton is sadly still at 0--I haven't even managed to collect 1/10 of the Classic Pirates sets yet. Thanks for the pics!

First reading this topic name I was thinking of the Lego Ideas Book released last year. But these are even more interesting. So much yellow! :laugh:

Yet another great post on your blog, SirSven7! I've read all your previous castle and pirate postings and enjoyed them tremendously.

As for these castles in the idea books, they are just so big and different from the sets lego actually released. I really wish I could've had all those sets as a kid, I know I would have had so much fun building all these alternate instructions.

Wow, way to make a man feel old. I have the original 6001 leaflet albeit in a tatty ripped old state. I thought it came with my yellow castle but could be wrong as I was only 3 in 1980! What fab memories and fab ideas. Thanks for the share.

Thanks, that's a big help to a person like me who has just rediscovered lego! :D Time to build one of those little guard station thingys!!

I actually still have the 1990 and 1996(?) LEGO Idea books... I always loved the classics!

I'm also intrigued by the prototype pics... Too bad some of them never came to be (i.e. official Crusaders oval shield, poofy sleeves and sea serpent), but it's interesting to see that some of them HAVE recently, namely the rapier with the Series 4 Musketeer and the just released Monster Fighters line, and the Tam O'Shanter with the Series 7 Bagpiper, just to name two....

Wow that brought some memories back - I definitely had the first book with the Castle/Space crossover. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for doing that, i enjoyed it. And you do not want a monkey, trust me lol