Captain BeerBeard

REVIEW:9471 Uruk-hai Army

REVIEW:9471 Uruk-hai Army

Pieces: 257

Minifigures: Six minifigures and a horse

Price: 29.99us 34.99us a TRU

Ages: 8-14

BOX

The box shows all the great play feature's of the set.

The back shows off some of the new parts.

7214013088_089368bcb9.jpg

Box front by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7214014938_9993eae188.jpg

Box back by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BAG ONE CONTENTS

7213836486_f0626bf298.jpg

Bag one by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

COOL PARTS

I'm personally liking these.

7213888918_75e0316611.jpg

Cool parts by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BAG ONE BUILD

The build is pretty simple.

The balista look's like it has more going on to the build than it really does.

The brown 1x4 tiles are printed in this set. You get three of those.

I'm a big fan of that part. :thumbup:

7213936884_1ea8da0abb.jpg

Balista by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BAG ONE MINIFIGURES

All of the Uruk-hai have the same exact body printing and head printing.

They look so ugly and scary that I almost don't believe TLG made these! :thumbup:

The new sword, shield and helmet are AWESOME! :thumbup:

7213891178_e37516c70b.jpg

Army by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7213893440_1ce7685058.jpg

Ugly by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7213895336_452a8747d3.jpg

Uglier by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BAG TWO CONTENTS

The horse came in the bag in this one unlike the Gandalf Arrives set.

7213885268_b518cace79.jpg

Bag2 by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

COOL PARTS

Has anyone messed around with theses yet?

I love me a brick brick! :thumbup:

7213887152_ac240cd732.jpg

Brick bricks by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BAG TWO BUILD

A straight forward stack build.

The parts here are pretty decent if you decide not to keep it together.

I love the flag choice.

I'm not saying anything about the catapult.

FRONT

7213947140_090d82759e.jpg

Front by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BACK

7213944782_c45f351b34.jpg

Back by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BAG TWO MINIFIGURES

Eomer and the Rohan soldier are Great! :thumbup:

The torso designs have to be some of the best ever!

I want to point out that I did get some bad printing on these guys but it's hard to notice in these pics.

Out of two of the three set's I purchased so far, I have recieved bad printing.

7213910108_51cd5ca4fd.jpg

Goodguys by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7213915488_d3316e097b.jpg

Goodguys1 by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7213922016_253f428fd0.jpg

Goodguys2 by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7213928144_63dab1c2ac.jpg

Helmet detail by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

9471+9474(The Battle of Helm's Deep)

The cool thing about this set is that you can keep buying them and adding them to Helm's Deep!

You can also attach it to the curved wall on the right.

7202041952_7dfce9d785.jpg

Helm's Deep by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

FINAL JUDGMENT

This is a great set for LotR fan's and afol's that are into castle.

I don't recomend these for children.

I have spoken with many parents and their children about these sets.

All of the parents said their kid's weren't interested in Lotr at all.

The kids said that the set's are ugly, so don't buy these for your kid's unless they're a fan.

Thanks for the review! I'm definitively buying this one.

Two questions: Is it true that all bricks are printed? And secondly, you see the torso printing is a bit off, can you describe the problem a bit more in detail?

Thanks for the review! I'm definitively buying this one.

Two questions: Is it true that all bricks are printed? And secondly, you see the torso printing is a bit off, can you describe the problem a bit more in detail?

There are no stickers. Eomer's shield is missing a spot of paint. You should be able to see that. One side of his head has a bad eye. His helmet has some faded printing.

love this set. my far favorite... although building is terrible minifigs are awsome...

I think I'll reather buy couple of sheilds, torsos, halmets, reather than whole set...

Thanks for the great review beerbeard :). Looks like a great set. When these are relesed in Finland I will get one of this one (and a few of the other ork sets), just for the minifigs and horse ofcourse :tongue: . That building and ballista don´t looks so impressive but useable in other builds :). 30 usd hmm thats about going to be 45 euros for this set here, pretty much :hmpf_bad: oh well we´ll se that then when its released

thanks for the reveiw, 2 of the 3 sets I've got my eyes on have been reveiwed by you and it looks as if you have the third judging by picture 3 :wink:

=Legonardo=

Nice review! Six minifigs? I might consider picking this one up. I'm surprised that on the back of the box, Lego put this set and two Helm's Deeps on there. They must really want people to buy the LOTR sets!

I'm surprised that on the back of the box, Lego put this set and two Helm's Deeps on there. They must really want people to buy the LOTR sets!

it's not two helm's deeps, it's just one+this set which = combo set :)

Excellent review, 'Captain BeerBeard'! :thumbup:

I really want this set now. It looks great, especially with the Helms Deep set! The figures are awesome, too. :thumbup:

Thanks for a great review 'Captain Beerbeard', and yes I have used the brick bricks for a MOC....they are AWESOME to use.....nothing like realism eh ? :laugh:

Ah, cool figures, excellent weapons and it's brick-built.....perfect to join on to Helm's Deep as you have shown.

Remember the kingdom's sets used lots of panels, here brick-built and who likes brick-building ?......AFOL's ! :grin:

If I have the spare cash I will try and buy this theme, though super heroes and city sets are first on the list. :wink:

Nice review. I bet this set is going to sell like crazy - aside from the one unique minifig, it's a perfect set for army builders, and even Eomer can be reused with a few part swaps. I love the ballista a little more every time I see a new picture of it. I will buy this as soon as I can, while I save up the money for Helm's Deep.

My daughter wants every one of the LOTR sets except for Shelob - she hates spiders. We were in TRU the other day looking for them. Unfortunately, all they had on the shelves was Moria, which is the one set I don't plan to buy (especially at TRU markup), but even as her mom and I were talking about how Moria is nothing special, she was all "but look at the minifigs! And the troll! And there's a book, and all these other cool parts! It's a great set!" So, yeah, there ARE kids out there who want these sets. I'm sure LOTR won't be as popular with kids as, say, Ninjago and Superheroes, but it's not a completely unknown property with kids.

Good work Beery. I do love the Uruks, they are badass.

I have heard that parts in their own little bags usually come from China. Therefore, I think the helmet is from China and we know their standards aren't as good as the other fabrication places. The figs still look pretty cool though, and though simple, I do like the look of the ballista.

Did you give this set a "score" at all? I suppose we don't really need one, just asking!

I have heard that parts in their own little bags usually come from China. Therefore, I think the helmet is from China and we know their standards aren't as good as the other fabrication places. The figs still look pretty cool though, and though simple, I do like the look of the ballista.

Did you give this set a "score" at all? I suppose we don't really need one, just asking!

Nah. I came to the conclusion that a "score" is pointless. Let the people figure out if it's worth it.

Nah. I came to the conclusion that a "score" is pointless. Let the people figure out if it's worth it.

I think I mostly agree with that assessment. Some of the scoring is suspect to say the least! I appreciate that you have an eye out for the MOCers by pointing out the parts you think would be useful. Are we going to get a Helm's Deep review soon as well?

I don't remember Gandalf the Grey defending the wall at Helms Deep :tongue:

Good review!

The parts fabricated in China are usually ones which have specialized printing only available at the Chinese plant. So you can't really complain about the standards for printing on parts like that helmet, since that part could not have been printed at all at any other plant. I imagine part of the reason for this has to do with human labor being required at some stage of production, such as for aligning the part in the printing machine before it is printed: hence why it is done in China, where labor is cheaper, and why there are inconsistencies in the printing, because of slight variance in how the part is aligned when printed.

Very good review. Thank you for posting it.

It's encouraging to see all those printed pieces, especially the unique facial hair design on Eomer. The balista is as much an army-builder piece as the Uruks, I think. Overall, I'll be getting a few of this set.

Seeing this review makes me appreciate even more how great this set is. Definitely should be one to get. I may even get 2 to put together with Helms Deep.

I think I mostly agree with that assessment. Some of the scoring is suspect to say the least! I appreciate that you have an eye out for the MOCers by pointing out the parts you think would be useful. Are we going to get a Helm's Deep review soon as well?

You want a Helm's deep review? What?! Yeah, I'm going to do it. Maybe tonight it'll be up. It'll be from a mocers point of view. I'll let you know how many of the good stuff's you get and what not.

Looking forward to this one, nice little army builder with stunning figures. Thanks for the review.

The parts fabricated in China are usually ones which have specialized printing only available at the Chinese plant. So you can't really complain about the standards for printing on parts like that helmet, since that part could not have been printed at all at any other plant.

Umm... yes I can, and I just did. Even if that is the ONLY place the part can be made, LEGO could still have more quality control. It usually doesn't bother me that much, so long as it is not really bad, but other people have other opinions on the matter. Beery, for example, clearly noticed it.

It is NOT just the printing that's suspect on those parts either, the plastic quality is usually a little lower too. Battlepacks, CMFs and minifigs in games sets often also come from China and they have printing, plastic, and coloartion that isn't of the same quality as the minifigs made elsewhere. I understand LEGO may need to consider cost to make a printed part or tons of minifigures at a reasonable price but it is something for people to be aware of. If they are buying this set for the helmet in particular, then Beery has cautioned you that the printing may not be perfect and I am just adding the parts in the baggies are the parts to be most aware of.

You want a Helm's deep review? What?! Yeah, I'm going to do it. Maybe tonight it'll be up. It'll be from a mocers point of view. I'll let you know how many of the good stuff's you get and what not.

Cool. Those "brick" bricks are pretty swank. I also like the sand green parts. I saw a few shots of the "interior" and there is a pretty badass banner I wouldn't mind getting a nice close up of. It looks like it would be good in some Avalonian MOCs as well.

Also, though it looks like you already have it built, but if there is any technique that is new or unusual, it would be cool to have a picture of that in progress if you find it worth your while.

I already planned on getting this set, but seeing it again in review form makes me want it even more!

If you hadn't mentioned anything about bad printing, I would not have noticed. I had to scroll back up to see what you were talking about and I don't notice it that directly even with a second look, so I am okay with the printing in this series. I will wait to see how they look in my hand. Obviously bad printing isn't good for business, but no one seems to boycott the Lego brand, so Lego will continue to have bad printing. Or you get people like me, who don't notice the printing problems, so we keep buying anyway.

The figures look great! I will probably mix the two Rohan soldiers together and not have any ONE person be unique. I am not into accuracy to that degree.