Pingles

Roller Coaster rails in Joker Funhouse

Is this the first time Lego has released narrow gauge rails? I searched Bricklink but didn't see any.

Nope these first appeared in the Indy Temple of Doom set and then later in the Alien Conquest mothership. Sadly there hasn't been a compatible straight piece released yet though, which limits their usefulness.

That is indeed very strange. We initially thought the new mining sets would have straight track, but they just have the 12V style straight rails (the large mining set in fact has a narrow gauge train in it!!!). There is an option to use jumper tiles and connect those rails to the narrow 'RC style' tracks though.

I tried the jumper plates with straight rail tracks - black ramp narrow gauge to light grey straight section then to a ramp and two more straights - it works nicely. Pity straight black track is about $50 a peice. Go with the dark bluish grey track if you can as mixing colours looks poor.

Also... check out this thread - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31962 and this is worth a look. http://www.shapeways.com/model/454182/lego-rail3.html - custom connectors. Cuussoo had some narrow gauge stuf but it got nowhere.

it's my pc or in the Me rail there is nothing?

Nothing. I was perplexed too.

I'll bet there was when that link was posted over two years ago... January 2012...

Yes... I really don't know the nuances of what's going on with ME... they made rails, sold out of most of it in a reasonably short amount of time, with a few straggling items left over (that eventually sold out), and yet they wouldn't make more without a kickstarter campaign?

I actually missed out on the kickstarter (took a break for a few months and came back when it was already over); I'm glad they met their goal, even if I won't be first on the list.

Their track was impeccable, IMO... All fit together nicely, I didn't need the metal tape to make sure the connections were good (they were fine without it), and it worked great with TLG's 9V tracks.

I guess I should have ordered more back then, because I've been waiting... and even Big Ben bailed on selling track, so we've had no retail alternative for some time.

Edited by fred67

I think we all should commend ME and BBB for their efforts with tracks. Both of them ran into small problems and big problems with their prototypes. You have to anticipate EVERYTHING or be prepared to make an entire new round of tooling. Not a cheap gamble. If ME gets it right this time out I bet you can count on their track being available for quite some time. I am so looking forward to the prospect of the wide radius curves.

Yes... I really don't know the nuances of what's going on with ME... they made rails, sold out of most of it in a reasonably short amount of time, with a few straggling items left over (that eventually sold out), and yet they wouldn't make more without a kickstarter campaign?

Not really any nuance. They tried to make a product, released a beta-test version that had some issues and have spent the time refining the product to the point where they feel confident in the design and are now looking to get funded to go into production.

But they completely sold out... it must have been a financial success; the more popular parts (mostly straights) sold out relevatively quickly. And granted I didn't get any curves, but the straight track I got I wouldn't exactly call "beta," it works flawlessly.

I would have bought a whole lot more of it were it available.

But they completely sold out... it must have been a financial success; the more popular parts (mostly straights) sold out relevatively quickly. And granted I didn't get any curves, but the straight track I got I wouldn't exactly call "beta," it works flawlessly.

No, ME never was able to get the curves to work the first time around. They were listed as coming soon for a long time. The straights sold out, but I think they were all from one run. They had problems, which is why it took so long to come back. It takes a lot of engineering to get the rails working right- right dimensions, making the metal-plastic connection work, making the rail joints work, ensuring the gauge is perfect, etc. etc.. Lots of stupid things can go wrong.

I really wish Lego would release official narrow guage rails. They'd be perfect for street cars in circa 1980 town layouts.

Since ME is a topic in this thread, just curious if they ever sold 4 wide rails?

I really wish Lego would release official narrow guage rails. They'd be perfect for street cars in circa 1980 town layouts.

Since ME is a topic in this thread, just curious if they ever sold 4 wide rails?

They mentioned it as one of the stretch goals on their kickstarter.

They mentioned it as one of the stretch goals on their kickstarter.

Yup, they had an $85,000 stretch goal which they met. Which means, they will be making a 6 wide track connector (4 wide rails) that will work with the still in production individual greay straight rails of the late 12V era. That connector will clip directly to the "funhouse" curves that are currently out with the standard lego track clips. You will have a solution!

Yup, they had an $85,000 stretch goal which they met. Which means, they will be making a 6 wide track connector (4 wide rails) that will work with the still in production individual greay straight rails of the late 12V era. That connector will clip directly to the "funhouse" curves that are currently out with the standard lego track clips. You will have a solution!

You might want to remind them of that goal, I don't think I saw any mention of it in the KS feedback form.

You might want to remind them of that goal, I don't think I saw any mention of it in the KS feedback form.

When you get the backer survey, you're given the option of purchasing narrow gauge connectors. They're $1 per set of 4. I got 10 sets.