CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

Hey, aren't we getting Minifig-scale Minecraft? that's something to add to this thread.

It already has its own topic, and since that was confirmed by LEGO, I think it deserves one. It's not in the rumor mill anymore. :classic:

So this is where Jurassic world discucion should be.

yeah

The more I think about it the more I think that it can't be right, it just does not add up to me, as much as I would love JP I dont think we will see it

Jurassic World would be awesome. They have the molds but they might be wary because the Dino line was one of their least profitable (otherwise they'd have kept it around ;p).

I highly think this will actually happen. After all Jurassic World has been pushed back again and again, it seems highly possible that the Kre-O contract only runs through this year (as this was the year the movie was supposed to be released). And I feel like Chris Pratt would know the difference between brands, especially since the Kre-O figures are pretty different and weird looking (Those faces are haunting...). Then again it could have just been a generalization about building block toys, but I feel like Kre-O would have come out and corrected him if that were the case.

And I don't think Lego would like it if Chris Pratt appeared in a competitors product, so I wouldn't be surprised if they negotiated for the rights.

Plus I feel like that theme would be a slam dunk for them. They could recycle almost all the dinosaur molds they have on hand and would only really have to design a couple completely new dinosaurs, the others would probably just be recolors.

Edited by strangely

I've read statements claiming that Kre-o's license with Universal or something has expired. Besides, the main character of the Lego Movie can't possibly mistake Kre-o for Lego...

Edited by TheRedGuy

I read that, too. Kre-O's license should end this year. So, for 2015 the way should be free for LEGO!

And I don't think Lego would like it if Chris Pratt appeared in a competitors product, so I wouldn't be surprised if they negotiated for the rights.

Neither Lego nor Chris Pratt have much say in who licenses out toys based on one of their movie characters. Especially given that KreO announced the license long before any casting announcements. (Although question there? Was KreO's announced license Jurassic Park or Jurassic World? Because if they are distinct and separate licenses that could get weird on the toy shelves.)

Hopefully if LEGO does have the Jurassic World licence, they will do what they did with POTC and Indiana Jones and visit the old films as well.

Jurassic World would be awesome. They have the molds but they might be wary because the Dino line was one of their least profitable (otherwise they'd have kept it around ;p).

The vast majority of lines these days must be unprofitable then.

Remember that the announcement that KreO had the Jurassic World licence was before the movie was delayed, the sets were going to be released Summer 2014. It's possible that things have changed since then, and LEGO ended up with the license.

Like others have said, I find it unlikely that Chris Pratt mistook KreO for LEGO.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

Neither Lego nor Chris Pratt have much say in who licenses out toys based on one of their movie characters.

I didn't say they had any say. All I meant was that Lego might have tried something to gain the rights to make sets, perhaps Lego bought out the contract from Kre-O. I don't know how likely that is, but it was just another possibility I was stating. I mean Lego probably wouldn't want to see Chris Pratt in a competitors product, it's not impossible that they made an offer to the license holder to avoid that.

Personally I think the contract expired this year and that opened the door for Lego. But I'm sure there's several possibilities as to how they could gain the rights.

Edited by strangely

I mean Lego probably wouldn't want to see Chris Pratt in a competitors product, it's not impossible that they made an offer to the license holder to avoid that.

I dont think thats valid at all. Just cause he voiced the lego movie does not mean hees the poster boy for lego.

I dont think the contract has expired at all. These kinds of contracts has to acccount for possible delays, they happen alot in the industry.

No company want to spend time and resources on something they woudn't be able to sell at all, just cause a movie was delayed a year.

I dont think thats valid at all. Just cause he voiced the lego movie does not mean hees the poster boy for lego.

Well he's also in all the Guardians sets and he's probably going to be in sequels to both franchises. One way or another he's a draw right now, he may not be a poster boy for the company but he's certainly helped sell those sets. I just feel like it's odd for him to be associated with dozens of sets spread across two themes and a Lego movie one year, then a competitors the next year and then return a couple of years later for sequels to both franchises and undoubtedly be in dozens of sets again. Maybe Lego doesn't care at all, I don't know. But to me it feels more like Kre-O is leeching off Lego, and enough companies already do that.

I'm just saying it could be possible motivation, then again it may not. If anything Lego could just be grabbing the license to spite Kre-O (Which really all those clone brands could be knocked down a peg...). I hope someone announces something soon though one way or the other. It's bugging me not knowing for sure which company is doing sets.

Edited by strangely

There might be a simple way to know if Lego or Hasbro holds the building license for JW / the JP franchise : a Lego Ideas project. If Hasbro / Kre-O still has the license, then the project will be archived by Lego because of IP conflict, or something like that, right ?

There might be a simple way to know if Lego or Hasbro holds the building license for JW / the JP franchise : a Lego Ideas project. If Hasbro / Kre-O still has the license, then the project will be archived by Lego because of IP conflict, or something like that, right ?

Well that designer has to be smart enough in order not to violate any other uncodified rule, because team Ideas don't tell us the reasons anymore.

I don't think Dino line was unprofitable. I think the problem was a high expense for new dinosaur molds caused the sets to be too high for the build and in turn would cause a lower payout. I didn't ever see any on clearance (not that that is a tell all sign).

I don't think Dino line was unprofitable. I think the problem was a high expense for new dinosaur molds caused the sets to be too high for the build and in turn would cause a lower payout. I didn't ever see any on clearance (not that that is a tell all sign).

Man, down here in SoFlo, those sold awful. They were all on clearance or in full stock at Toys"R"Us.

Nope, and I still think it won't be happening for LEGO.

yeah I agree although I would get every one if it happened

Only saw actual sets for DC and SW, but Age of Ultron had 5 sets, and there will be some Jurrasic World sets, as well as three more Lego movie sets.

Wow, I literally am astounded it's ACTUALLY happening. I've been doubting this from the beginning. Oh my gosh.

Guess it's time to reopen that thread. :look:

Edited by just2good

http://www.thebrickfan.com/rumored-2015-lego-sets-including-brand-new-theme/

I'm betting on Scooby Doo. It's retro and kid friendly. Plus there's going to be a new show next year, so I'd say odds are good.

Character Building has had the license for a while, but I don't think they've done anything new with it since 2013... Plus after checking their product page I see only two things are left, so it sort of looks like their license is running out.

I don't see it being Ghostbusters though, I don't think they have enough of a kid audience to support a theme.

I would agree that Scooby Doo would be a better fit for LEGO. I mean we could get the Ghostbusters headquarters from IDEAS but I don't see where we could go from there. It would be just large price point sets. Perhaps if Ghostbusters was planned as an entire wave instead so the main characters could be split up amongst smaller sets.

I could see a $20, $30. $50, $100 Scooby sets with goofy, kid friendly bad guys that the Scooby gang could unmask. The highest price set could be another type of haunted house.

I would love a Scooby-doo theme! One of my favorite shows as a kid! I would buy every set :wub: