AwesomeTaylor

Holiday Apartment Building

Forgive the flowery placemat, I can assure you it's far better than potentially scratching the Mother-In-laws table!

I've been working on this building for quite some time now, it's based on the beautiful bay windows of the origional Green Grocer set. I took the existing structure, and brought the lenght out by a stud on each side to make it 16 wide. This was an easy change on the ground floor, but the other floors needed a little more work. I used some textured pieces on a whim and found that they fit quite nicely.

I toyed with a few ideas for colour, but eventually settled on yellow after wondering what I could use all the pannels for from the tractor-trailer set that had been converted into the cube van. I think it worked out quite well.

Most of this was made in September just after I had finished my other 16-wide modifications, but then I ran out of parts. All I needed was 12 1x1 bricks! But I was patient and waited. Recent tooth surgery prompted me to treat myself and last night they arrived!

Allow me to give you a tour:

6476573741_3aa59e0d58.jpg

Here is the new holiday apartment building!

6476573693_8a65232386.jpg

The back is a little sparse, I'm thinking of adding a small garden back here

6476588217_3db65f3003.jpg

Our little friend arrives in town for his winter vacation, and heads in to check out the apartment he has rented

6476585207_85fb9b4c5e.jpg

The lobby allows visitors to get mail during their stay

6476573705_d46bebf92f.jpg

This first apartment is a bit more economical, just a single bed and a dresser, but perfect if you plan on spending the vacation out seeing the sights!

6476590835_da0777d21f.jpg

This room is much more spacious

6476589485_8d5682ba18.jpg

A lovely couch, a computer to email his friends pictures he has taken, and that large bay window gives him an awesome view!

6476573727_73ba4d7c67.jpg

And he gets a nice relaxing bed!

6476583879_73aa694720.jpg

The roof is very decorative, perhaps a little over the top? I guess they need to justify the large rent somehow!

6476582557_e65422f911.jpg

Alongside my mini green-grocer, it's a natural fit!

6476573731_5d8b8505c0.jpg

Here is is in my 16-wide line up!

Very nice aparment 'AT'! It looks very cozy, and the exterior color is a good choice. It looks great next to your other modulars. Keep up the great modulars default_classic.gif

Very cool! I'm not usually a big fan of 16 modulars, but yours looks great! I love the design on the roof and the little details you added in. How long did it take to build? From idea to final brick?

Very nice, you have made excellent use of available space for the interior. You have four post boxes but only two rooms, it looks like you have plans for expanding. :tongue: The roof is a bit over the top for my liking. I like the modifications you have made to the rest of the models. Having just built the Grand Emporium its nice to see your mini-version. I will probably dismantle mine in the future though at the moment I like it too much to salvage it for pieces.

Very nice aparment 'AT'! It looks very cozy, and the exterior color is a good choice. It looks great next to your other modulars. Keep up the great modulars default_classic.gif

Thanks! I have parts slowly rolling in for my next two, but it will be a while still before I can actually build them!

Very cool! I'm not usually a big fan of 16 modulars, but yours looks great! I love the design on the roof and the little details you added in. How long did it take to build? From idea to final brick?

Thank you! I fell in love with them myself :D It took a while mostly due to waiting on parts, time wise it was about 6-10 hours since most of the bay window was already existing, the rest was working out how to use my existing parts as much as possible.

Very nice, you have made excellent use of available space for the interior. You have four post boxes but only two rooms, it looks like you have plans for expanding. :tongue: The roof is a bit over the top for my liking. I like the modifications you have made to the rest of the models. Having just built the Grand Emporium its nice to see your mini-version. I will probably dismantle mine in the future though at the moment I like it too much to salvage it for pieces.

Thanks! Perhaps I will expand, but I think I might make use of the mail boxes in another building later on and add a doorman and his desk to this building instead...

The roof IS a bit over the top, and I may tone it down in the future, but I like the idea of the over-zealous land-lord dressing his property up a bit much. They DID paid the whole thing bright yellow after all!

Very nice 'AT', fits perfectly in your street scape. :thumbup:

Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks! It's really salting to come together :D

Wow, a waterfront property in the city! :grin:

Seriously, I like it a lot. I'm especially impressed at the interior you've fit in such a small space, I would've thought that stairs took up too much room but it all works. As others have said it looks very cosy and some good furniture as well, definitely somewhere I would stay. The final picture is great too, converting them all to 16-wide was a great choice - the GE looks surprisingly good.

Edited by Skipper

I thought the 2 rooms upstair look great! :thumbup:

maybe you would like a receptionist counter on the ground floor since this is a Holiday Apartment Building so i assume guests will be coming and going.

I like that GE, but where's the OG of all Modulars, Cafe Corner? Cool apartment you've got there. I like the window/roof combo there, and the little archway on the sidewalk. Keep these coming!

Wow, a waterfront property in the city! :grin:

Seriously, I like it a lot. I'm especially impressed at the interior you've fit in such a small space, I would've thought that stairs took up too much room but it all works. As others have said it looks very cosy and some good furniture as well, definitely somewhere I would stay. The final picture is great too, converting them all to 16-wide was a great choice - the GE looks surprisingly good.

Thanks! If I had planned the building out in advance and ordered parts, I'd probably have made the stairs 3wide to save space, but the smaller area forced me to be a little more creative with the furniture :)

If you would like to see the other 16-wide buildings, the original thread is here.

I thought the 2 rooms upstair look great! :thumbup:

maybe you would like a receptionist counter on the ground floor since this is a Holiday Apartment Building so i assume guests will be coming and going.

Yep, the more I think about it the more a doorman/concierge desk sounds like a good idea!

I like that GE, but where's the OG of all Modulars, Cafe Corner? Cool apartment you've got there. I like the window/roof combo there, and the little archway on the sidewalk. Keep these coming!

Thanks! I will be working on some more in the New Year, this is definitely a style i enjoy!

After spending $450 to get my Green Grocer, I doubt I will be adapting the Cafe Corner any time soon!

Nice pictures, nice storyboard and fantastic MOC! :laugh:

I like the inner details, the architecture and how it fits perfectly in your town! :thumbup:

Thank you! It's always fun to tell a story while showing off a new build :)

Great MOC! I love how much more finriture you added! :thumbup:

Thanks! Furniture is so much fun to make, I just wish I were a bit more creative with it lol

Whether or not the roof is over the top, I still like it. It adds a lot of great detail to the building. And I'm sure in some historic downtowns, some buildings will stand out a bit more than others. I know ours does here. But I really enjoy what you did with the build. The yellow looks good with the gray and it fits nicely with the other buildings. Keep up the good work.

I only think that the entrance is to low.

My thought exactly! It's a very nice building, inside and out, and it really looks at home next to your other buildings. But ground floors are always taller than the other floors - I think you should consider at least one brick to the height of the ground floor - the building still wouldn't get too tall.

Whether or not the roof is over the top, I still like it. It adds a lot of great detail to the building. And I'm sure in some historic downtowns, some buildings will stand out a bit more than others. I know ours does here. But I really enjoy what you did with the build. The yellow looks good with the gray and it fits nicely with the other buildings. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! It looked a bit more over the top on it's own, but most of the yellow is hidden by the walls of the adjacent buildings.

nice moc and very nice town :thumbup:

Thank you!

That is a very nice building Taylor.

I only think that the entrance is to low.

Thanks. I hadn't considered that before, as I was using the base from this part of the Green Grocer building, but I think the Yellow makes the other floors seem top-heavy.

My thought exactly! It's a very nice building, inside and out, and it really looks at home next to your other buildings. But ground floors are always taller than the other floors - I think you should consider at least one brick to the height of the ground floor - the building still wouldn't get too tall.

Interesting idea - I might have to try adding an extra brick to the ground floor at the weekend...