Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

Unfortunately, I think its not possible.

The problem is that by the time those sets went on sale, pretty much all of 2013 sets and lineups (including 2H) were complete and fixed. I know a thing or two about this things from my (non lego related) work and I'm pretty sure that TLG-s development-planning-production is much longer than those 4-5 months which are left before we get first 2013 models. First sets usually appear around black friday, add to that production and distribution and you will see that there is no time for such large changes as changing whole theme. Same goes for 2H, beacuse 1H and 2H are always planned together, to achieve optimal distribution between themes and price ranges. TLG is now testing customers reaction to 2013 sets and deciding on 2014 lineups, but even for those there is not so much space left for changes, because of additional (besides SW, Technic and other )long running themes like Ninjago and Friends, which leaves just few spaces free.

Unfortunately, I think its not possible.

The problem is that by the time those sets went on sale, pretty much all of 2013 sets and lineups (including 2H) were complete and fixed. I know a thing or two about this things from my (non lego related) work and I'm pretty sure that TLG-s development-planning-production is much longer than those 4-5 months which are left before we get first 2013 models. First sets usually appear around black friday, add to that production and distribution and you will see that there is no time for such large changes as changing whole theme. Same goes for 2H, beacuse 1H and 2H are always planned together, to achieve optimal distribution between themes and price ranges. TLG is now testing customers reaction to 2013 sets and deciding on 2014 lineups, but even for those there is not so much space left for changes, because of additional (besides SW, Technic and other )long running themes like Ninjago and Friends, which leaves just few spaces free.

I could see them adding more as. Summer 2013 wave. Maybe. Figure the current offerings will still be around for a minimum of 12 to 18 months anyway. So we might see something more. But then that raises he question of what more they could do? Either way I think Monsters will become another Evergreen theme that pops up periodically, like Dinosaurs.

It's definitely true that LEGO plans multi-year themes well in advance, so if Monster Fighters was ever going to see another wave, it's already in the books. Not much to be said or done about it at this point, short of speculation, and I'm agreeing with those who say the theme feels like a one-year.

Oh, I know they have huge lead times on sets; I just can't help but wonder whether they might be willing or able to follow up on something if it proves popular enough. If Monster Fighters (or any other theme initially planned for a single wave) were to sell well for some sustained period, perhaps they'd be willing to just keep that first wave of sets (or some of them, anyway) in production long enough to keep the theme active for a couple years, while they got together a belated second wave.

They have had themes that have sometimes gone long enough between waves that more than a year would pass between releases, leading us to think the themes were dropped, until out of the blue they come up with more material (Spongebob Squarepants being one example). I'm not saying it happens often, and I don't profess to know whether the reason for it is a scenario like the one I've described, but perhaps it's a slim possibility.

Oh, I know they have huge lead times on sets; I just can't help but wonder whether they might be willing or able to follow up on something if it proves popular enough. If Monster Fighters (or any other theme initially planned for a single wave) were to sell well for some sustained period, perhaps they'd be willing to just keep that first wave of sets (or some of them, anyway) in production long enough to keep the theme active for a couple years, while they got together a belated second wave.

They have had themes that have sometimes gone long enough between waves that more than a year would pass between releases, leading us to think the themes were dropped, until out of the blue they come up with more material (Spongebob Squarepants being one example). I'm not saying it happens often, and I don't profess to know whether the reason for it is a scenario like the one I've described, but perhaps it's a slim possibility.

I think if LEGO was ever extremely surprised by the popularity of a particular theme, they'd be more likely to echo certain elements of that theme in future designs than to rush out an impromptu second wave. It's hard to know exactly; they definitely seem to make design adjustments in relatively small periods of time. For example, Mars Mission's second wave saw some dramatic overhauls, such as dropping the unpopular orange tubes and redesigning the aliens. LEGO couldn't have had more than a couple of month's notice to make those changes, since the unpopularity of those elements didn't become apparent until a few months after the first wave's release.

Another example is how Space Police 3's second wave introduced a closed helmet design, a common point of criticism of that theme's first wave. Now that particular element is the new standard Space helmet.

It's hard to know how LEGO thinks, but I'm still betting that Monster Fighters is a one-hit-wonder kind of theme. My spidey sense tells me so, and it hasn't been wrong yet!

Bionicle was only supposed to last one year. Since it lasted nearly a decade, I don't think it's impossible for Lego to change the length of a theme.

I know this is tangential, but since it came up here...

For example, Mars Mission's second wave saw some dramatic overhauls, such as dropping the unpopular orange tubes and redesigning the aliens. LEGO couldn't have had more than a couple of month's notice to make those changes, since the unpopularity of those elements didn't become apparent until a few months after the first wave's release.

Another example is how Space Police 3's second wave introduced a closed helmet design, a common point of criticism of that theme's first wave. Now that particular element is the new standard Space helmet.

Oh? I don't remember seeing criticism of those elements of either of those themes. Was it really substantial?

Back to the subject at hand...

I think if LEGO was ever extremely surprised by the popularity of a particular theme, they'd be more likely to echo certain elements of that theme in future designs than to rush out an impromptu second wave.

I wasn't talking about "rushing" out a second wave, exactly; I was thinking more in terms of years.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Bionicle was only supposed to last one year. Since it lasted nearly a decade, I don't think it's impossible for Lego to change the length of a theme.

I wouldn't say "was only supposed to last one year". TLG considered making it a one-year theme at one point, but I think from early on they were prepared to follow up on it if it proved successful enough (they would have needed to, because at that time the amount of time it took to design sets and have them ready for production was a whole year, possibly even longer). I think this is probably the case with many themes that are only initially planned for one wave/one year. TLG might keep unused sketch models from the first wave in reserve so that a new wave of sets doesn't necessarily have to be created "from the ground up".

The exceptions would be in cases where TLG didn't want to create their own competition by having too many sets of a certain "genre" on store shelves at one time. In these cases (I think Pirates likely fits in this category), I can imagine new waves potentially being spaced out enough that design for the second wave doesn't have to take place until preliminary sales figures for the first wave become available.

For all this talk about how long Monster Fighters will last and future decisions, I think LEGO thinks up a second wave for every new theme. They probably make some concept art, and even some prototypes. If the theme proves to be successful enough, they'll release the planned second wave. Alien Conquest got some second wave concept art, but the theme wasn't popular enough.

I really hope Monster Fighters does get a second wave though. :classic:

Oh? I don't remember seeing criticism of those elements of either of those themes. Was it really substantial?

Well, it seemed that way to me. I was pretty involved in the discussion here of both of those themes, and those were definitely common complaints. Particularly the Mars Mission aliens - I don't think I've ever seen a LEGO mold so universally despised since Galidor.

I can't prove that LEGO's reason for changing those elements stemmed from that, but it does seem to follow.

For all this talk about how long Monster Fighters will last and future decisions, I think LEGO thinks up a second wave for every new theme. They probably make some concept art, and even some prototypes. If the theme proves to be successful enough, they'll release the planned second wave.

This really does seem like the most likely scenario to me.

Well, it seemed that way to me. I was pretty involved in the discussion here of both of those themes, and those were definitely common complaints. Particularly the Mars Mission aliens - I don't think I've ever seen a LEGO mold so universally despised since Galidor.

Now, I have seen a lot of contempt for the Mars Mission aliens. I personally don't feel it - I kind of like them, myself, though I don't think they were really necessary - but I'm definitely aware they're generally held in the same regard by many here as Knights Kingdom (2) and flick-fire missiles. But I never did notice the criticism of the MM tubes, though that was probably winding up around the time I joined or a little earlier.

I have nothing against the orange tubes but those aliens are one of the worst LEGO pieces ever designed (not just because of their looks but the leg clips are so weak they snap off at the drop of a hat)

Regarding the SP3 helmet: I for one was very much against the aviator helmet they used in the first wave, and I hadn't even joined Eurobricks yet to be any part of that discussion. The new helmet was a lot better. The problems were that in space you can't breathe in a helmet like that... and they didn't have airtanks either.

Regarding Mars Mission (& Galidor for that matter): I was in a new-set-dark-age so I completely missed those themes.

Alien Conquest got some second wave concept art, but the theme wasn't popular enough.

Not sure that is actually true. Alien Conquest wave 2 was pulled because TLG had so many new themes for 2012, including licenced ones they couldn't pass up. There would've been too many themes out at once to make business sense.

Regarding Monster Fighters: there aren't that many unused monsters left for a 2nd wave, it could have some kind of reboot like Ninjago this year though. However, if there were going to be more sets next year, you'd think that then would be the best time to release the Haunted House, and not now. But who's to say there won't be more in more than a year's time...

Edited by Artanis I

Not sure that is actually true. Alien Conquest wave 2 was pulled because TLG had so many new themes for 2012, including licenced ones they couldn't pass up. There would've been too many themes out at once to make business sense.

Oh, I didn't know that. I just based it off of the fact that my stores had a lot of AC in stock last year compared to other themes. :look:

So far, it seems like MF is selling well, as my LEGO store only had a limited quantity on them and half the sets in stock. :classic:

That's what I heard, I think it was mentioned in the AC discussion topic when the concept art from the designer surfaced, or in CMF discussion when we found out some of the minifigs were unused AC minifigs. Probably the former.

I don't know what's going on with TLG and not putting there MF instructions online, but can someone Please help me out and send me a scan or something of the instructions for the castle set CAR ONLY please?

Thank you in advance if anyone helps :classic:

Regarding Monster Fighters: there aren't that many unused monsters left for a 2nd wave,

That is what I am asking myself. What kind of set could be released? A chrurch? A mill?

MF has been there: "studios" hat the same monsters, TLG just changed the opponent characters. Instead of cameramen we now get a girl with an arrow.

I also think so. We got vampyres, ghosts, zombies, warewolf, frankenstein, castle, graveyard, mansion, cars, carriages, planes etc... What else could we get?

I could easily think of tens of new ideas for pirates, city, sw, lotr etc..., but not for MF and lets say farm, alien conquest and other more limited themes

I don't know what's going on with TLG and not putting there MF instructions online, but can someone Please help me out and send me a scan or something of the instructions for the castle set CAR ONLY please?

Thank you in advance if anyone helps :classic:

You'll just have to wait till they do, I'm sure they will it just takes time.

You could always send TLG a request through customer service and say "I need instructions for set xyz" and see what they say.

I did it before when I needed instructions for a newer set that weren't yet available.

Worst they can do is say "no we dont have those instructions yet"

Sadly, I think if Monster Fighters did get a second wave it would end up being more vehicle-based. The Swamp Monster could get a boat or a submarine or something, there could be a zombie-hot-rod, a ghost-pirate ship, etc. I think it'd be terrific to see some brick-built monsters (i.e. a large swamp monster, like the Creature from the Black Lagoon) but I doubt it. A Yeti could be cute, ala Orient Expedition. And after Shelob, etc., Lego isn't unaccustomed to giant spiders.

Sadly, I think if Monster Fighters did get a second wave it would end up being more vehicle-based. The Swamp Monster could get a boat or a submarine or something, there could be a zombie-hot-rod, a ghost-pirate ship, etc. I think it'd be terrific to see some brick-built monsters (i.e. a large swamp monster, like the Creature from the Black Lagoon) but I doubt it. A Yeti could be cute, ala Orient Expedition. And after Shelob, etc., Lego isn't unaccustomed to giant spiders.

I doubt they'd release another "giant spider" set after Shelob Attacks. At least, not anytime soon. At the moment, all that could do would be having the two sets taking away sales from each other. The general consumers and public won't be as likely to buy two giant spiders as, say, a giant spider and a headless horseman or something. And heaven forbid that ANY sales get stolen from LOTR!

Personally I wish instead of "Monster Fighters", it was just "Monsters". I'd buy a lot more of those because no yellow-skinned minifigs would be invading my collection. I honestly don't have a use for them! I'll still buy a few MF sets, lose the yellow humans, and mix the monsters with my flesh collection. But I'd buy more if the sets were just monsters in their habitat or something. (Yes I know TLG would never do that because there's no conflict, but one can dream). Just like making torsos with no skin showing on them, releasing only the monsters would benefit a larger audience because people who prefer yellow and people who prefer flesh could both get equal use out of them. But I'll stop dreaming now.

At least the Haunted House only has monsters!

Edited by purpleparadox

Personally I wish instead of "Monster Fighters", it was just "Monsters". I'd buy a lot more of those because no yellow-skinned minifigs would be invading my collection. I honestly don't have a use for them! I'll still buy a few MF sets, lose the yellow humans, and mix the monsters with my flesh collection. But I'd buy more if the sets were just monsters in their habitat or something. (Yes I know TLG would never do that because there's no conflict, but one can dream). Just like making torsos with no skin showing on them, releasing only the monsters would benefit a larger audience because people who prefer yellow and people who prefer flesh could both get equal use out of them. But I'll stop dreaming now.

I suppose you're just living up to the 'paradox' in your name, because by the logic here LEGO should never release any theme that has human minifigures, so that both people who prefer fleshies and people who prefer yellow will buy it :wacko:

There's plenty for someone to like in these sets while disregarding a couple of minifigures if you don't like them. Models, parts, the minifigures you do like, whatever. If you don't like the sets, don't buy them, but I'm quite glad this is a fun action theme with fun models and not a 'bits of grey landscape' theme like LotR.

I doubt they'd release another "giant spider" set after Shelob Attacks. At least, not anytime soon. At the moment, all that could do would be having the two sets taking away sales from each other. The general consumers and public won't be as likely to buy two giant spiders as, say, a giant spider and a headless horseman or something. And heaven forbid that ANY sales get stolen from LOTR!

Well... I'd be happy to take those yellow-skinned minifigures off your hands. :laugh:

Sell what you don't want on Bricklink. Make money to buy more. Or if you don't want them, send them to me.

Or you can just continue to cry about yellow minifigs which doesn't get you anywhere. :def_shrug:

:tongue: