Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

By almost all, you mean two right? :dwacko:

I would say four. The mummy, the Frankenstein monster, the vampire, and the zombie driver (well, the face at least). Okay, three and a half. default_satisfied.gif

I would say four. The mummy, the Frankenstein monster, the vampire, and the zombie driver (well, the face at least). Okay, three and a half. default_satisfied.gif

I would say Mummy, Monster, and Vampire. SO i guess i miscounted but still that's not most. :wink: I would not count the zombie, any of them, as they are totally different than the one from S1.

Well, I'd count four: Mummy, Vampire, Monster, and Frankenstien. Then, there are also the zombies and the werewolf that had renditions in the CMFs, but look signifficantly different. Which is not to say that such similarity in character is a bad thing. I think it'll add great diversity to my collection!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Regardless of exactly how many, the fact that several monsters are so similar to their CMF counterparts raises a really interesting issue. Although I previously thought of the CMF line as a self-contained theme that was not intended to hint at possible future sets, Monster Fighters makes me wonder if other minifigures might eventually be get their own full-fledged themes.

I don't think that Monster Fighters is based of CMs; I think both sets of monsters are based off the monsters of folklore, legends, and movies.

I don't think that Monster Fighters is based of CMs; I think both sets of monsters are based off the monsters of folklore, legends, and movies.

Right, but we're discussing the fact that some of the monsters in this theme are clearly very similar in design to their CM counterparts. Obviously both sets are based on folklore, but the fact that both sets have such a similar interpretation of these archetypes may be significant.

I really like the return of glow-in-the-dark elements. The sets don't look bad. My favourite is the Ghost Train, mainly because it's a train, but I saw some pure photos, and it doesn't have as much luminescence as the box art suggests. There is one big disappointment for me from this theme; it's that it's just another humans vs. monsters theme. I should of known better, because I've had this problem with new themes since I was a kid.

The train does look nice but probably not PF-capable without making it look less visually appealing. But with my limited budget, I don't think that this or the other Monster Fighters sets will get high-enough priority for me.

I really like the return of glow-in-the-dark elements. The sets don't look bad. My favourite is the Ghost Train, mainly because it's a train, but I saw some pure photos, and it doesn't have as much luminescence as the box art suggests. There is one big disappointment for me from this theme; it's that it's just another humans vs. monsters theme. I should of known better, because I've had this problem with new themes since I was a kid.

I too am totally psyched to get more Glow-in-the-dark pieces! Especially this new glow in the dark which is whiter than previous versions. On the subject, I'm even more excited to get that white/Glow-in-the-dark spider that features in several sets! I have plenty of black and trans-... spiders, and a grey spider web, but I've never had a white spider! And, I love the use of flick-fires to launch the spider in the Vampyre's castle. This is one of the only times I've ever approved of Flick-fire missiles! :grin:

Although it is a Monsters v. Humans theme, the Humans do get to fight one human... Doctor Frankenstein! who is technically a person, just a bad one. :grin:

Let's not forget about McHammer. About time we got some green flannel! Plus his hunting vest is a nice touch. This may be me, but doesn't his face resemble one of the old Rock Raiders faces?

Sorry I forgot about this, You're thinking of Bandit!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Does anyone know if the Werewolf mould is a different one from the one released way back when as Lupin? Never liked that piece.

Does anyone know if the Werewolf mould is a different one from the one released way back when as Lupin? Never liked that piece.

Yep, it's a new mold. :classic:

I've just seen some pictures assuming that The Monster Fighters theme is already released in Germany (Köln)

Lego Monster Fighters !

(sorry if this is old news but I didn't see it in the last couple of pages so...) :thumbup:

Right, but we're discussing the fact that some of the monsters in this theme are clearly very similar in design to their CM counterparts. Obviously both sets are based on folklore, but the fact that both sets have such a similar interpretation of these archetypes may be significant.

There aren't very many different ways to make a monster with it still being recognizable. The werewolf is the only one that could do this, and it is very different from the CM. Vampires are pale guys with suits, mummies are wrapped in bandages, Frankenstein has a flat head and is green with scars, etc. It would be too hard to make MF monsters different from CM ones while still being recognizable.

For anyone speculating how the line could continue, would a cryptozoology theme be a good idea? (if a departure from the current aesthetic)

Though before I get ahead of myself, I am very excited to pick up a few of these sets. Some of the car designs are a bit wonky, but I won't make any final judgements until I can get a better look at them sans flick-fire missles.

There aren't very many different ways to make a monster with it still being recognizable. The werewolf is the only one that could do this, and it is very different from the CM. Vampires are pale guys with suits, mummies are wrapped in bandages, Frankenstein has a flat head and is green with scars, etc. It would be too hard to make MF monsters different from CM ones while still being recognizable.

True, and besides, not everyone got their hands on the CMF monsters. Aren't they redesigns, as well?

Is there not just the possibility that they came up with a theme, realised they already had the moulds/print designs still from the previous CMF's and so decided to save money rather than create new moulds for £250k per mould for this particular theme?

I can't imagine they will specifically be using CMF's to be hinting at what is coming up next, rather; coming up with themes, and if there are still the moulds/print designs available from the CMF's that would fit in with that theme, then just using them to help save money.

It is quite possible that this will be a one-wave theme, but at the same time I'm not sure "running out of ideas" would be too great an issue. Just look how many years Scooby-Doo has been able to keep producing new shows. Now, obviously some of the Scooby-Doo villains aren't "iconic" enough to fit well in a theme like this, with many just being ghosts with some specific theme. But there are a few ideas I can come up with:

• A ghost knight
  • A witch
  • A witch doctor
  • A robot (could possibly be packaged with a return of the first wave's Mad Scientist)
  • Bigfoot/the Abominable Snowman
  • A pirate ghost
  • A blob (might be difficult)
  • A sea monster (sea serpent, maybe?)
  • A headless horseman
  • A gargoyle

So I think there's a lot of directions this theme could go if it were to continue. It doesn't have to rely on obscure cryptids or mythological entities to maintain diversity in its "monsters".

*snip*

So I think there's a lot of directions this theme could go if it were to continue. It doesn't have to rely on obscure cryptids or mythological entities to maintain diversity in its "monsters".

I agree, and that's a great list! I'd throw in a fly headed scientist and the medusa we saw a sketch of, although she sort of falls under the mythological entity category. There are plenty of monsters out there just begging to be made into lego (the creature from the black lagoon was one of them) so I do hope they'll have at least a second wave.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Wow, I'm pretty excited for this theme. But between all of the other EPIC themes coming out, I'm only letting myself get two or three sets, and small ones at that. Oh well, still a very cool theme.

Is there not just the possibility that they came up with a theme, realised they already had the moulds/print designs still from the previous CMF's and so decided to save money rather than create new moulds for £250k per mould for this particular theme?

I can't imagine they will specifically be using CMF's to be hinting at what is coming up next, rather; coming up with themes, and if there are still the moulds/print designs available from the CMF's that would fit in with that theme, then just using them to help save money.

Yes, that's the right train of thought in the matter, but take one more step: before TLC ever gets those molds produced they will clearly have a schedule prepared laying out what themes the new items will be used in and for how long. My guess is that even before those CMF classic horror characters appeared, a fetal Monster Fighters theme was already alive and kicking in TLC's test tubes... with an appetite for those CMF pieces hardwired into its existence ;) Or in other words: If it wasn't for a subsequent theme to use those CMF items later on in mind, there would never be those items in the first place. Just look how the spaceman's retro-raygun found its way into the fading Alien Conquest line. Or the new highlander/black knight-longswords will be prominent in the upcoming LOTR sets.

I quess there's still some mileage for some of those elusive collectable-only pieces to be had in future regular themes.

Okay, that's a much better-stated version of what I had been trying to say. :laugh: That this theme isn't "based on" the CMFs, more like they were just developed in tandem and so both utilize some of the same stylistic elements.

Much as I would love a cryptozoology theme, I think it is a little thematically removed from Monster Fighters. Also, Medusa is more suited for a greek theme isn't it? I feel like LEGO would need to stick to the world of Universal monsters, unless a thematic change is what they want (which has happened before - Alpha Team, for example, got a new location every year).

You forgot the Medusa and ghost captain we saw in the design sketches. I don't see why going underground would be a logical continuation of the theme. There's always the possibility that an evil witch could take up the slack. Or a grim reaper type. Or that Voodoo Doctor! Also I doubt anything called a demon would ever get made by TLC.

They should still use those ideas in the 2nd theme though.

Page+03.jpg

Edited by TomRoid

Looking at that picture makes me wish that LEGO had gone with more of a Scooby-Doo vibe... and also makes me hope that LEGO makes that ghost ship! So much potential goodness in a set like that!

I also notice the upcoming haunted house, looking pretty similar to the one we glimpsed in that promotional video. I guess that means that LEGO could very well be doing some of this. At least, it's a possibility! :thumbup: