Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

As always photography is key in this round, so each entree is expected to be photographed at a professional level with plain backdrop of any color. (We challenge the skill level of our builders more with each challenge, therefore in this round entrees that are poorly photographed and in bad locations will be disqualified. No furniture, pets or random objects in the background please)

I have to put up a dissenting opinion here. And I am really not doing this for me, as this isn't a problem for me when I am un-lazy enough to set something up. But, this kind of pushes the spirit of the project in the wrong direction. We are not on a professional photography forum. I think it was totally fine giving points for better photography, but completely disqualifying poorly shot MOCs or MOCs with a bad background dissuades people from participating. I don't think the point was to whittle down the best builders (and in this case the best photographers) by attrition, I think it was to foster an active and growing building community that pushes individual builders' boundaries. This policy seems to do the former rather than the later. I think that the more points for better photography is enough incentive for someone to try and shoot more creatively and with better background choices.

Just think of it this way, some point and shoots are not good for shooting Lego at all. Hell, some DSLR lenses are bad for shooting Lego. Some AFOLs on here are still using P+Ss from the mid 2000s or earlier, all with much worse resolution and features than what is available today even on some phone cameras. Some can't afford light boxes or even to make their own decent light box. (They do spend a lot of their money on Lego...) Yes, you can just drape a sheet up behind a MOC (although, some people might not even have white / light colored sheets). But still that is not going to make a difference if your camera sucks or you don't have good lighting available. As we are not on a professional photography forum, it just seems odd to use the term professional level - you are not going to get that level here.

I would encourage you all to reconsider this policy. As I said, it doesn't really effect me - I have a semi-professional camera, gear and multiple light systems as I do it part time photography sometimes... but others are not as lucky. I would hate for someone with a wicked entry in a hobby forum contest get DQed for a bad set of pics, or even worse, the policy to keep others from building.

Sorry, rant off... but I just felt like I needed to say something.

Regarding the photo quality; we don't expect it to look like shots from a Lego catalogue. That part is there just so we don't get pictures that do a total disservice to the model. (for example no background, totally blurry or dark pictures etc)

Trust us we don't expect real professional photos; and if the photos are bad enough to warrant disqualification then the moc would have no chance of winning at all. Trust in our judgement, and take it as a cautionary tale not as a criterion for us to nitpick at later. :wink:

Cheers, and good building!

Thanks everyone, I am truly honored to be a part of the Kaliphlin guild! I must say, the announcement just made my weekend!

I think everyone did a terrific job this time around, and we are sooo close to overtaking first place now.

Now, I have to go catch up on everything that has happened the last few weeks - so much reading to catch up on!

I must've been good this year....

7394041814_19be4be206_n.jpg

I got home from work about 9pm last night and my wife and all 4 kids were up waiting for me to give me a Father's Day gift. I had no clue they were doing it, since I usually request not to get any gifts from anyone. The best part is, my wife said my 5 year old was directing them all as to which sets would be best!

I must've been good this year....

7394041814_19be4be206_n.jpg

I got home from work about 9pm last night and my wife and all 4 kids were up waiting for me to give me a Father's Day gift. I had no clue they were doing it, since I usually request not to get any gifts from anyone. The best part is, my wife said my 5 year old was directing them all as to which sets would be best!

congrats on your haul, what a great surprise!

I got Helm's Deep and the Uruk-Hai Army (I got it a few days early when Lego was doing the double VIP on the package deal but had to wait until yesterday to build it!)

I think my wife secretly loves my Lego addiction, it makes choosing me gifts so much easier!

Congrats! I think my wife wanted to get me Helm's Deep, but I ruined that by buying it last month. I had been stashing some cash since December when they announced that set. Oh well, they did great picking these out.

And I agree....my wife jokes a bit about the hobby, but she keeps supporting my habit and never has to worry about a gift!

Congrats on the LEGO haul for Father's Day! No LEGO for me, but a nice big (meat) smoker. My daughter has recently discovered smoked salmon, so I suspect she influenced my wife's choices. That's OK; I have no qualms about buying LEGO for myself. I am a bit disappointed in the sales in the past few months however; not many good buying opportunities...

Challenge IV sounds like an interesting one; nothing like a bit of violence and destruction to liven things up a bit. I thought about just half destroying my embassy build and a few other MOCs and taking a picture of that, but I suppose I'll be a bit more creative. Perhaps I will still use the embassy as a free-build elemental destruction scene.

As for the photography requirement, I think it's a good idea, as long as we don't set the bar too high. I use a four year old point and shoot with no special equipment other than a $4 piece of foamcore as a background (although I do use GIMP to retouch). I think the point is to push people to make at least a minimal effort to take a good photo: use a few lamps or go outside to get some decent lighting, use a sheet or foamcore for a background, get at least some of the photo in focus (learn to use that Macro function perhaps), etc. I don't think we expect everyone to have a fancy DSLR with multiple flashes and a special lighting booth and so on. But some of the pictures in the past have been pretty bad, and really showed a lack of effort and care more than lack of equipment. The bar is not that high -- with a sheet for a backdrop and decent lighting outside, even my old iPhone 3 will take a decent picture.

Although the no-pets-in-the-background rule ruins my brilliant idea of having Fluffy the Giant Elemental Rabbit wreak havoc on downtown Albion!

thats quite a father day you've got there. In Germany it's just about getting drunk with your friends. Not presents at all ...

Oh...that's not good. This is going to be a fun first challenge.

As far as photo quality, what're the rules on backdrops? I confess, I'm not much of a photographer. So I guess my question is, how much breathing room will we get?

Never mind...I missed some of the other stuff. :blush: Good to go.

Edited by Axis600

thats quite a father day you've got there. In Germany it's just about getting drunk with your friends. Not presents at all ...

That doesn't sound too bad though....

Mikel Kalores I have finished the gatehouse, will post it tomorrow,hope you approve :laugh:

7418786382_a07dffa6de.jpg

I don't think I have ever posted here apart from permission for a build but Awesome MOCs from you guys! keep it up!

~Legonardo~

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Mikel Kalores I have finished the gatehouse, will post it tomorrow,hope you approve default_laugh_new.gif

7418786382_a07dffa6de.jpg

I don't think I have ever posted here apart from permission for a build but Awesome MOCs from you guys! keep it up!

~Legonardo~

Looking good! default_thumbup.gif

Apologies everyone for my absence... I have been busy with last minute Brickworld building and the event itself, the post-event let down and the eventual reread of all your wonderful posts...

--

Khamar Ibn Hakkad apologies on the late welcome. I was off! But now come drink. It is good to have an Officer join us. Please, tell us more about the Al Ezaela tribe. !

Trian Burress I must send our greatest appreciation for your help at Brickworld. And I humbly make you an honourary member of the Kaliphlin Guild, with all the rights and privilege of our Citizens.

--

Great job everyone on Challenge 3

As you guys figured out... Kaliphlin WON Challenge 3. We closed the gap between us and Avalonia!

Well done!

And don't forget some freebuilds to get a few more points :hmpf_bad:

--

As for the photography element... As you may or may have not noticed, we've been systematically trying to 'up' everyone's game. And this is just another step towards improving everyone's mocing skills - including presentation. We're not talking about professional set ups ... but simple care to having some clean back drop - a $1 piece of cardboard does wonders... :thumbup:

--

awesome gate house Legonardo!

And don't forget some freebuilds to get a few more points :hmpf_bad:

awesome gate house Legonardo!

All my MOCs I am currently working on are going to Kaliphlin. Lets see, I have 5 unfinished MOCs: Printing House, Kalores flagship, river cargo ship, Black Pyramids, and Lions Bluff castle. Summer is here so I might not get as much accomplished but then again the last few weeks have been a continual rain so I just might get more accomplished than I was expecting. Since we are on the topic I was wondering if any of the minibuilds for the Kaliphlin Times count toward Kaliphlin points? probably not but was just wondering....

Interesting that you have had continual rain....where I'm at Michigan we have had less than half the normal rain in April, May and June. When I mow I am followed by dustclouds. I actually thought it was a Kaliphlin curse, and that since I joined the guild, my yard was destined to become a barren wasteland as well.

I have a freebuild that I just finished this morning, and should have pictures posted sometime tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

EDIT*****Ok it is posted

7428684070_4f8a0e518a.jpg

The Moon Lord Kha

I am introducing a new character who will play a prominent role in Challenge 4, and brother to Aran-Salath(the 'elven witch' from Challenge 3)

Edited by Kayne

I have a couple of freebuild WIPs going on, though both incorprate elements of previous builds. I have to put up my Hogwarts build, so probably it will be the next cycle before the Temple of the Mad Monks gets constructed. Mitgardia and Avalonia are killing it on free builds right now, maybe we should put some small scenes up.

:classic:

I am going back north for a couple of weeks, so I may not get to finish my free-builds until mid-July.

On another note... I get to visit my real collection that I left in my mom's basement... So maybe I can find time to create something with pieces I haven't seen in 7 years. Although I don't know how much Kaliphlin friendly elements I have there.

-----------

As for the photography thing, I think I was the only one that really cared - and after explanation, my only problem is really just with the wording and the worry that it might discourage some. But, I think with all the replies that got cleared up.

My build for the Drow war that wasn't, is done. Part of this MOC was already submitted for the embassy challenge, so I'm not sure if it will score anything. Bit of fun, anyway.

Kayne, way to go with those Father's Day presents! Straight into the wither woods! Lovely.

:classic:

As for the photography thing, I think I was the only one that really cared - and after explanation, my only problem is really just with the wording and the worry that it might discourage some. But, I think with all the replies that got cleared up.

Actually I felt the same as you when I first read it. But unfortunately, since the only way to share creations here is through photos so a bit of photo skills is a must. Besides I just bought a camera from my neighbor for $40 and it takes better pics than my wife's $130 camera...default_laugh_new.gif And if you don't have the best photo skills, whats the harm in learning to take better photos? I think of it as a 2 for 1 hobby... or is it a 3 for 1? Communication skill enhancement as well?default_satisfied.gif

Sorry i've been so quiet of late peeps, work has been crazy busy over the last few weeks. Not so good for building, but great for the Lego fund! :thumbup::sweet: I've got some sorting to do over the next day or two, then it's back into some free-builds for me.

Nice to see some LOTR pieces showing up in MOCS already! I got my sets last weekend and they are already parted out into my storage boxes, awaiting construction!

ps. Nice Withers Woods creation Kayne! I've been meaning to visit that area myself sometime - there is so much scope to build there i reckon. :classic:

My BL order has just been shipped, as soon as I get it I'll begin work on five builds: Guild Challenge IV and four Nestlands vigs (one for the Commerce Challenge). I've got a group of figs (from every guild) ready to populate my scenes.

The Nestlands Clans have been doing some great business as of late, but the Minister of External Affairs says we need to advertise our wares more. Hopefully our painters are up to the task.

Wyrm!

7458575730_a87aa7c30a.jpg

I think I am responsible for bringing a little bit of Arrakis to Kaliphlin, so this is my payment of that debt :tongue:

Can I still join? I've read all 87 pages of this thread, and Kaliphlin Guild has me hooked. I've built my signing and most of his entourage, worked out a backstory, just got to take some photos now.

Also, the build in this are Awesome, with a capital 'A'!