3 M motors?

I guess 2 drive and 1 is for steering. The wheels and tyres remind me of those from 8297, yet they seem a bit narrower. The controller is simillar to the small racers sets. Axles seem to use the mog's portal hubs. Nice to see Lego build a TT :classic:

Heli seems to use new blades, but the swahsplate looks like its built without any special parts.

Wow, that helicopter is much larger than I thought that it would be. *oh2* The offroader/crawler looks really cool. I like the black/orange color combo.

Edited by Meatman

Too soon for me to have a proper judgement, but from what i've seen so far, not excited. They look like MOCs and contain little functionality for their size. But like I say it's too soon to tell. Maybe there is more sophitication to the helicopter rotor blades that enable both cyclic and collective control, but it looks very over engineered and bulky. It is odd that instead of showing three m-motors in a line on the off-roader box, they are showing 2 + 1. Maybe there is a new kind of motor that has not been fully designed yet, and the m-motor is a place holder image on the box, for a servo used for steering maybe? Remember the first images of the 8258 showed a m-motor instead of an XL-motor so it's possible. This would be fantastic, but still, highly unlikely there will be a transmission leaving this flagship with only drive, steering and suspention, which is a function or two short of a good flagship. Would have prefered a monster truck with servos to control both a transmission and steering remotely and a proper tubular looking frame.

That helicopter is a monster, much larger than I foresaw. Hopefully it'll be a tad more complex than the previous two have been, otherwise I might have to pass on it. As for the Rock Crawler... well... I'm pretty surprised they're releasing a wheeled RC vehicle, but it looks quite impressive. Regarding the speculation about motors, I do remember that preliminary images of 8258 showed it with an M motor, but when released they gave us an XL, so they could change before release.

Only problem now being where I'm gonna find the money and room for these new sets... especially seeing as the city mining sets are also tempting me... :laugh:

I counted about 50 studs long for the helicopter, how many bricks will be?, near 2000 I think...

Edited by jorgeopesi

Here are the same pictures seen in LegoPictureHQ's slideshow.

9396 Helicopter 

The helicopter looks magnificent, the colors remind me of 8109. There looks to be a "mass" around the swash plate of the main rotor, I hope you could be able to control the angle of the blades. I think there is a 36 tooth gear attached to the tail rotor. A winch is also included in this set. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be, but is that a old style differential right behind the "2011?"

I see Lego is making the orange color more popular, the black and orange goes well together, well so would red and black. Is there a patteren I am seeing, rc flagships in 2007, 2010, and 2012 :laugh: I can't really say anything about it except it 'may' have 4 wheel steer and it includes 3 motors. I hope one motor is attached to each axle, making this a 4 wheel drive car, with 4 wheel steer!!! 9398 also looks like it has pendular suspension, rear maybe the normal spring suspension. If this rc car has the 94.8 wheels, then this car may be pretty big.

For larger (but not as clear, still good though) pictures, just check out my BS folder, once it is public.

Edited by KielDaMan
Deeplinking of confidential preliminary images are not allowed in the site.

Ah HAAAAA! What's that writing I see beside the motors? Could it be "Servo MOTOR" and "L MOTOR", I can only hope! Also why does the helicopter have a batteries not included sign?

Edited by allanp

Are we not starting a official 2h2012 tread so people can put there finds or new info on these sets?? This rock crawler looks to me to have a few surprises up its sleeve! Iv a feeling we might see a new motor,has anyone an idea what size wheels or tires were talking about here? I really was hoping for a rerelease of the power puller tires:( these look much smaller to me!

So I take it we get no pneumatic s this year?

Ah HAAAAA! What's that writing I see beside the motors? Could it be "Servo MOTOR" and "L MOTOR", I can only hope! Also why does the helicopter have a batteries not included sign?

I also read servo and l motors .

I can't tell but it is certain that the motors of 9398 have different names, one of them has got to be new. Anyways, why else are the motors pictured separately?

Maybe as a placeholder for XL motor, but I hope not.

Regarding servo motor: something doesnt add up. Because if that motor is servo, we would also need new remote, with speed adjustment and return to center ability. On the picture we see normal remote, but when I heard first information about this set I was under the impresion that remote will be different, more like dirt crusher. Could be just prototype though. Too bad we dont have image enhancment technology like those guys in CSI. :tongue:

Price will be the same as for 8043, so I do not expect much more pieces than that (but its true that it has just one remote/reciever and one motor less). Helicopter is cheaper than 8109, but since it looks like it will not have any pf parts, piece count should be similar. I personally like it more than crawler.

Never mind, it "clearly" says 'servo motor' and 'l motor.' 

P.S. What does it mean by "l" motor?

Edited by KielDaMan
No deeplinking of confidential prelims, even "cropped" images

Maybe as a placeholder for XL motor, but I hope not.

Regarding servo motor: something doesnt add up. Because if that motor is servo, we would also need new remote, with speed adjustment and return to center ability. On the picture we see normal remote, but when I heard first information about this set I was under the impresion that remote will be different, more like dirt crusher. Could be just prototype though. Too bad we dont have image enhancment technology like those guys in CSI. :tongue:

Price will be the same as for 8043, so I do not expect much more pieces than that (but its true that it has just one remote/reciever and one motor less). Helicopter is cheaper than 8109, but since it looks like it will not have any pf parts, piece count should be similar. I personally like it more than crawler.

First of all the helicopter has power functions just look at the "battery's not included" it kind of gives it away ha ha

Second of all this is quiet possible it is a servo motor as the remote seems to be modded for steering for self centre etc !

Never mind, it "clearly" says 'servo motor' and 'l motor.' 

P.S. What does it mean by "l" motor?

I'd say an L motor is in between an m and xL motor.

It is very interesting to see these preliminary pictures.. default_thumbup.gif

I actually like the Helicopter a lot.. but I've almost never (the 8043 excavator being the only exception) purchased a Technic set without tires default_tong.gif (ACTUAL tires, not tiny ones for landing gear)

Now for my take on the Rock Crawler/RC Offroader. WOAH.. RC = Rock Crawler = Remote Control???? Coincidence? I THINK NOT!! default_laugh_new.gif

Firstly, I believe the tires are those from the 8297 as they fit the size and the curve shown in the picture. The use of these tires and not the smaller ones from the Telehander means that it will have to have significant gear reduction should Lego wish to preserve their Customer Service.. Or they could make "awesomer" parts instead?

Secondly, I think that there will be a new motor, probably the two for drive (since those are under a more constant strain versus the steering motor). This also brings up the durability of ABS plastic in such a scenario. I AM NOT QUESTIONING THE ABILITY OF THE AMAZING TRIAL TRUCK BUILDERS!!! default_blink.gif I am simply saying, unless Lego "hired" or searched Brickshelf, it is unlikely that they will build such sophisticated and secure drivetrains as the professionals here on Eurobricks. But I am not criticizing Lego either. default_satisfied.gif

Lastly, I, personally, would be very happy to see this as their flagship model of 2012, because it symbolizes their "feelings" towards this model. Could this mean more RC driven vehicles? I would hope so, but that also removes a potential mod opportunity for us MOCers and drives up the prices with each motor they add. Even if this set is not packed with functions, I think that a step in this direction is welcome and I am anxious to see what they will provide us with.

Edited by Crtlego

Could the "L" motor finally be our high speed/high torque motor we've been waiting for? Or at least higher speed then xl, and higher torque then m? Or faster then even m and higher torque then xl?

Could the "L" motor finally be our high speed/high torque motor we've been waiting for? Or at least higher speed then xl, and higher torque then m? Or faster then even m and higher torque then xl?

It is possible, but in accordance with what Cwetqo mentioned above, this would probably require a new remote control AS WELL as a new Receiver as the "current" one cannot provide enough "current" default_laugh_new.gif The L motor would probably be similar to the RC motor from the Supersonic RC (same motor.. not casing) with an obviously redesigned shape and different gearing. Maybe we will see a new Receiver but this is expensive as well. I am not sure what they will do at this point. default_sceptic.gif

I'm guessing the "L" motor would be slower, but have more torque than the "M" motor. It would also be faster, but with less torque than the "XL" motor. Hopefully, this "L" motor will be the same size as the "M" motors. If it is the same size as the "XL" motor, than I don't see any point in using it over an "XL".

A servo motor would be a fantastic addition to Technic. I hope this becomes available as an individual component at LEGO S@H. I'm not sure I understand why a new remote would be required for a servo motor, but I'm not an electrical guru either. The current remote already has return to center.

I'm loving the helicopter! Alasdair Ryan, good catch seeing the "batteries not included" label! If this thing has a motorized winch and landing gear, I'd be stoked! :thumb up: Also, it looks like the helicopter may have a working door on the back, below the tail boom.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

I'm loving the helicopter! Alasdair Ryan, good catch seeing the "batteries not included" label! If this thing has a motorized winch and landing gear, I'd be stoked! :thumbup:

That was Allanp i was meaning beside the servo motor on the off roader were it seams to say 'new' ?...... .

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I dont know why people are disappointed sure it may not have all the features you want but we are guaranteed 2 new motors plus whatever else lego surprises us with.

But the biggest part is Legos recognition of motorized vehicles with wheels! This opens the door to new and exciting vehicles next year and the year after which will use gearboxes and everything else we could dream of. If this works and doesn't have an epic PR relations disaster that is...