mlahor

8258 vs 8110 Which one is bigger?

Everyone seems to be talking about 8110 as THE BIGGEST set but from the official LEGO site we can find out:

8110 •Measures over 19” (48cm) long and 12” (30cm) high

8258 •Crane measures 20.9 inches (53cm) x 22 inches (56cm)!

And some have measured the actual 8258 to be 55cm x 30cm x 25cm

Which one should I buy, 8258 or 8110?

OK thank you. Still, if someone could make a photo of 8258 and 8110 side by side to get a visual of their relative dimensions I would be most appreciative. Thanks :classic:

OK thank you. Still, if someone could make a photo of 8258 and 8110 side by side to get a visual of their relative dimensions I would be most appreciative. Thanks :classic:

There is no question that you have to buy both. By means of comparison, here is a computer generated picture. 8258 is "longer", but 8110 is "taller" and "wider". By volume then, 8110 is bigger. It also has more parts. In my opinion, 8258 is more complex though. For those reasons it is tough to do a comparison. They are very different models.

compare.jpg

Thank you all. I guess I'll buy 8258 first so it doesn't get sold out and then wait to be able to afford 8110.

Best regards,

Mladen

it don't matter what you buy both models are different in construction and unique You won't regret it

Thank you all. I guess I'll buy 8258 first so it doesn't get sold out and then wait to be able to afford 8110.

Best regards,

Mladen

I would strongly advise you to do so. I did the same (I just got 8110, and built 8258 a few months ago) and was really impressed with 8258. It's the best building experience I've ever had (haven't started on 8110 yet). It has a very complex gear system (and includes a XL-motor), and is generally a nicely constructed set. I mainly bought it for parts to build a 4 axle off-road Scania truck, but after having built it I would most definitely advise anyone else to get it.

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot

Got some comments on me posting my fully Modded Unimog against the crane truck.

Here are some other comparisons with other models

(The 2008 flagship 8297 and this years 8109.)

Pictures are used with permission

compositie.jpg

Never the less: Get the crane truck while you can... The unimog will be around for some time!

I have both and both are great in there own ways,

I'd love to buy an older flag ship,I was thinking 8421 or 8275?which is better :)

I'd love to buy an older flag ship,I was thinking 8421 or 8275?which is better :)

8421 is way better as a technical achievement. 8275 is more fun to drive around. Both are beautiful to behold. Pick your pleasure.

As for the 8258 versus 8110 comparison, here is a view from all angles:

compare.gif

hello,

in my opinion, the small truck 8109 can be built from parts of the big truck 8258 - the instructions are on the lego.com;

i've checked it just quickly, but it should be ok, except of the XL motor of 8258 which is bigger than the one in 8109, and maybe the wheels are also different size :)

also some exterior yellow parts of 8109 could be omited.

i have the 8258, so i will try it, because i like the mechanism of the rear platform of the 8109.

i wish i had also the 8110 :( it looks very good and imho, it is better than 8258, mainly because of the pneu-system

If you can only pick one I'd go for 8110, the functionality and further building opportunities offered by this model are second to none, and if I remember correctly its the largest technic model produced to date by part count!

Although i'm biased, 8110 is my favourite lego set ever... however 8258 will be deleted sooner than the mog so maybe go with the advice above!

8258's main model has many flaws.

The outriggers are a joke. You need to manually extend the end "legs" and it's far too weak - any force towards the front and they bend and twist!

The crane's final 2 mechanisms (winch + arm extender) are a joke, not connected to the main system.

I have the 8258 built on my table right now, yet I do not own it - I built it from parts from my collection (many color substitutions, notably the large panels). I do not regret my decision.

Yes, it IS is nice parts pack, but none of them are rare apart from the long gear racks. For all the complexities of the geartrain in the middle, it fails to deliver.... it's a shoddily operated crane.

8110's crane however, is completely operated from outside the crane itself.

That, and pneumatics are cooler than actuators.

Edited by SheepEater

As others have mentioned, I would definitely buy both, yes the 8258 has some flaws in its playability, but is still IMO a very cool set. But I'd get my hands on an 8258 pretty quick since its out of production and prices are way above MSRP, you will pay more than MSRP of $149 USD, 8110 is still being sold but I would imagine its time in production is limited since it is 1.5 years old now...

Edited by TechnicFreak

in my opinion, the small truck 8109 can be built from parts of the big truck 8258 - the instructions are on the lego.com;

i've checked it just quickly, but it should be ok, except of the XL motor of 8258 which is bigger than the one in 8109, and maybe the wheels are also different size :)

also some exterior yellow parts of 8109 could be omited.

i have the 8258, so i will try it, because i like the mechanism of the rear platform of the 8109.

According to Rebrickable:

if you only had 8258, you would have 63% of the parts needed to build 8109 : http://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=8109-1&s1=8258-1&c=1

if you didn't care about colour, you would have 81.8 % of the parts needed : http://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=8109-1&s1=8258-1&c=3

The pieces that you would be missing can be seen at the links above - scroll down the page a little bit.

Of course, you could rework the design a little bit...

i find it hard to compare the 2 sets.

Because there is a difference in scale, buildwise, and functions.

first of all i think that the unimog is more complex to build and its on a bigger scale (1:10 i think),

while the crane truck is (in my opinion) less complex to build and is in a smaller scale (around 1:18).

I really like the crane truck because of its real looking (and working) knuckleboom crane.

But i think that both sets are worth buying/owning.