Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

LDD Help with Trains

This is no doubt a stupid question to those who know the answer, but I do not and have just given up looking for it.

I see lots of trains on here designed in LDD.

I have LDD installed on my PC.

Hoever when I go into it I do not have an option to get many of the bricks needed for trains. For example there are no train wheels or buffers?

Obviously as people have these in their own designs there must be a way around this but I just cannot find out what it is. Maybe someone could help me?

You'll probably want to enable Extended Mode, which gives you access to a much wider selection of parts and colours. Instructions on how to enable it can be found here

The Train Wheels --> Axle was surprisingly lost in the latest release; but most train bases; buffers (9V and RC/PF); windows (fronts) exist, but as with all LDD: older things are missing.

That's one of the biggest advantages of LDraw based tools (such as ML-Cad), older parts are available...

That's one of the biggest advantages of LDraw based tools (such as ML-Cad), older parts are available...

I totally completely agree.

Downloaded the "latest" (I was living a little in the past) parts library today ... Oh my goodness. Since LDraw folks don't care about what's available through LEGO's PaB, there seems to be much more freedom. It seems that Bricklink is the limiting brick source for LDraw (which simply means that virtually unlimited brick "ages" and quantities are readily available, if you can afford them).

That is exactly the reason I stick to MLCAD + LDraw resources.

Best regards,

Thorsten

The downside, however, is that newer parts are often not present. I seem to recall someone calculating that, once you account for the fact LDraw treats different prints as different parts which LDD does not, the two have roughly the same number of pieces available.

And there still isn't an LDraw tool that comes close to the ease of use and level of productivity that can be acheived with LDD once you get used to it. And until there is some sort of consensus on how to define connectivity between pieces, I'm not sure it ever will.

The downside, however, is that newer parts are often not present. I seem to recall someone calculating that, once you account for the fact LDraw treats different prints as different parts which LDD does not, the two have roughly the same number of pieces available.

And there still isn't an LDraw tool that comes close to the ease of use and level of productivity that can be achieved with LDD once you get used to it. And until there is some sort of consensus on how to define connectivity between pieces, I'm not sure it ever will.

Hi AndyC,

you are absolutely right - in terms of connectivity. However, having played around with MLCad for a couple of years, that really is not an issue. For newcomers it may very well be though, and LDD is much better.

With respect to the "level of productivity" - as of now(!) - we should probably be more careful with the judgment. I have inspected the "Make building instruction" feature of LDD, and yes, you do get a decent HTML output. But running the latest PovRay fed with an LDraw input file, with all the nifty add ons available on LDraw.org, I am pretty sure: The output from these programs is truly amazing. You do have to do a lot of hands on work to get high quality instructions, but at least I can do that with plain vanilla PC programs and >I< have control.

I guess this may change in the future. But as of now: LDraw + all the gadgets is what I do. I am pretty sure it also depends on what material you build with: I am piling up a rather outdated stock of bricks ... being more than 45 years in building business ...

Best regards,

Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

To counter the newer parts not present I would say that since they will eventually make their way into the LDraw System it pales in comparison to the issue with LDD dropping older parts of the face of the earth.

If a new part is essential to my virtual build then I have options:

1. Build a mock-up.
  2. Grab the unofficial part (which is a work in progress but close enough for practical purposes).
  3. Build without the part.
  4. Create the part myself.

In LDD I only have 2 options, either build without it or use something in it's place. This is where the flexibility of LDraw System comes into play.

And there still isn't an LDraw tool that comes close to the ease of use and level of productivity that can be acheived with LDD once you get used to it. And until there is some sort of consensus on how to define connectivity between pieces, I'm not sure it ever will.

Is LDD easier to build with out of the box, sure. I won't argue with that but I would say that the cost for that "ease of use" is too high for my tastes. Ironically the very thing you seem to dislike about the LDraw System is one of my favorite features, that it doesn't enforce what it thinks are "Legal Connections". Another is the ability to build sub-models and use them within the main model.

At then end of the day they each have their strengths & weaknesses...

Something I ought to point out is that in an interview LDD forum leader Superkalle did with a member of the LEGO Digital Designer programming team, it was stated that the programming team intends to eventually add all bricks to LDD, save for a few that for some reason or another cannot be rendered digitally (whether this is because of some connectivity problems or some other reason is anyone's guess, but I certainly don't think he was talking about any widely-used parts when he mentioned that).

Now, they obviously have a lot of parts on LDD that tend to be in more current sets, like a load of Ninjago parts that appeared in this year's updates. But the LDD team even surprised me in some of the most recent updates by adding a huge number of parts that relied on discontinued hinge styles. So it's clear that they weren't fibbing when they stated a desire to add old parts to the palette when possible.

As for LDD's other disadvantages to LDraw, such as limitations of the "click-into-place"-based interface, those will need some fine-tuning. I'm a builder who avoids illegal connections whenever possible, but at the same time some legal connections have connectivity problems, not to mention how hard it sometimes is to get parts into place that aren't technically connected-- for instance, getting train wheels onto curved rails.

Still, I prefer LDD to my experiences with LDraw just in terms of how authentic the building experience feels. I prefer "clicking" parts into place over "sliding" them into place with coordinates. For train fans, it's not an ideal tool yet, but I'm hoping that future software updates will continue to improve the program and make it more convenient for building all types of models.

OK, tried that but don't seem to have the relevant folder? I am using Windows 7 Home Edition and have openned my user ID but there is nothing in there about the LDD programme?

I have tried looking for the 'show hidden' box under 'view' in the options but I don't seem to even have that as an option coming up? Strange I know it used to be there when I had Windows XP, but since having Windows 7 I've never had to look before. It does not seem to be giving me any information about any programmes at all in any way or form and I cannot find a folder in explorer with any in it?

Any ideas?

Still, I prefer LDD to my experiences with LDraw just in terms of how authentic the building experience feels. I prefer "clicking" parts into place over "sliding" them into place with coordinates. For train fans, it's not an ideal tool yet, but I'm hoping that future software updates will continue to improve the program and make it more convenient for building all types of models.

Hi Aanchir,

your comments are very well received! I agree: Future releases of LDD will make train construction easier, for sure.

What I like about the LDraw approach though is: Open Source. The various programs come with: Install what you want, skip what you want. In contrast - LDD: "An update is available. Download size: 135 MByte". And clicking on the LDD program icon fires up stuff that I simply don't want to see; all I want is building. I know, I am living in the past ...

LDD has all the options to become the #1 digital LEGO designer program: A >team<, TLC's backup (PaB is tied in, right?), and what not.

LDraw folks are focusing on making parts available; PovRay lives on it's own, and the other gadgets are more or less final releases, just working blistering fast and fine.

I am an LDraw fan, others are not. It is nice to see all that activity though.

All the best,

Thorsten

Sorry, I know there is a LDD help forum, but I need help from the Train Tech crowd on this one:

I can't find the train wheels with the Technic axle hole (like for the PF motor). I find it hard to believe they were excluded from extended mode, but I cannot find them anywhere....

Any help?

Honestly this is one reason why I prefer MLCad with LDraw.

Most of the train parts are there and generating instructions from my virtual models is simple with a few tools.

Have you looked into MLCad/LDraw? It does take a little more effort upfront to learn the system since it doesn't "snap" bricks into legal connections for you but this also allows you to build easily with "illegal connections" that actually work in real life.

Additionally the MPD format allows you to build in easily manageable components and then use the components as sub-models in the main model. For example I only build the bogies once and can use the sub-model twice in the main model.

Edited by kyphur

I can't find the train wheels with the Technic axle hole (like for the PF motor). I find it hard to believe they were excluded from extended mode, but I cannot find them anywhere....

They were there, but there was an issue with them so they were temporarily removed. Hopefully they should be back along with a lot more bricks in the next update due in a weeks time (to coincide with the removal of Design By Me mode).

They were there, but there was an issue with them so they were temporarily removed. Hopefully they should be back along with a lot more bricks in the next update due in a weeks time (to coincide with the removal of Design By Me mode).

OK, thanks for the heads up.....eagerly waiting the update.

Hi All!

I have a question regarding the LDD and using tracks into the same. My problem is that I am currently planing some ballast for my track. For the the curves, straights and flex-parts it worked really fine. The parts are in the LDD (extended mode). But when I came to design the ballast for the switches I realized that this parts (peeron part number 53407 and 53404) are missing in LDD.

Now my question is, is it possible to get the switch part also into the LDD. Are there any custom parts available?

Many thanks in advance and BR,

tmctiger

I'm interested in #53404 and #53407 switches too.

They are not in latest LDD 4.3.5.

Does Anyone know how to add them?

Thanks.

Funny thing LDD: The switches are not there, at least not the PF ones. However switches 75541 and 75542 can be found in LDD (Under the icon of the XL-motor where you can find more PF items), but these are the 9V versions and not compatible with the PF ones. That is not a problem because the straight and curved 9V sections are also there. The only thing is that you cannot use the flex-track with these tracks.

But in case you want to design a lay-out maybe it is easer to use Alban Nanty's Bluebrick: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31141

If you look at the one i just did u used the points in LDD but i had the 9v version in my hand. if you look at my designs the track is one stud higher than the bricks so LDD lets me build the ballist.

I can email you my version it will work for 9v track and would guess PF

Edited by Lazarus

Thanks for your replies, MWAH and Lazarus.

I prefer using LDD.

I've managed to create a template with the exact dimensions and angles of the switch using some plates and flexible tracks.

It's not pretty, but it works (see attached image).

Anyway it's a shame that the PF switches are not included.

There's another problem.

Flexible tracks are not flexible... :hmpf_bad:

Do you know how to bend them?

post-35250-0-11391300-1357223484_thumb.jpg

To flex the flex rail, use the Hinge tool (H).

The issue I've found with the 75541/42 points in LEGO Digital Designer is they cannot attach to anything. When designing ballast, any 'attachment' point must be a tile and to place the point(s) on the ballast, you must build an external framework to support the point(s) from the studs on the top. I hope that makes sense... It does in my head. :blush:

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

Hinge tool is your friend:

I've tried several times.

It doesn't work on my project.

What do you do?

Angle dropdowns stay disabled and compass doesn't appear on top left when using Hinge tool with flex tracks.