Plate

Grand Emporium vs Pet Shop

Hi all!!

I´m an entusiasthic of Modular Houses, I already have the Green Grocer and Fire Brigade. I want to buy another one but I dont know what: GE o PS?I like Snot very much, I enjoyed building FB. I see GE very equal in the facade, and I feel that PS Its going to be little to me...What do you think?

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi all!!

I´m an entusiasthic of Modular Houses, I already have the Green Grocer and Fire Brigade. I want to buy another one but I dont know what: GE o PS?I like Snot very much, I enjoyed building FB. I see GE very equal in the facade, and I feel that PS Its going to be little to me...What do you think?

Thanks

Jonathan

hey john,

i cant speak for everyone but i can tell you that the pet shop is not as good a build as the grand emporium, in my opinion.

the pet store is repetative in sections and is not as complex a build as grand emporium.

for me pet store felt like a creator kit, where as the emporium feels like a "modular".

also i feel that the pet store is no where near the same level as some of the mocs ive seen on here, but the decision is ultimatly yours.

Definitely GE. The Pet Shop can wait, if you are going to get it at all. It's a nice build but it just doesn't live up to the line like the GE does. Plus, this will be your first corner building, which is a nice change.

Definitely GE. The Pet Shop can wait, if you are going to get it at all. It's a nice build but it just doesn't live up to the line like the GE does. Plus, this will be your first corner building, which is a nice change.

good point, i love corner builds, they look great, so much frontage.

im gonna complete a full interior to my cafe corner once im finished my current project.

I agree that GE is the best choice for now. And it'll be the first of the two to disappear from the shelves.

This question was also just posted here, so you could probably go there to hear what others have to say :)

I agree that GE is the best choice for now. And it'll be the first of the two to disappear from the shelves.

This question was also just posted here, so you could probably go there to hear what others have to say :)

The grand emporium is a great parts pack also, and has some interesting parts such as the two large windows, the 70+ dark green windows, the dark green domes, etc...

Neither are especially interesting builds (heck, the four flags are about the only difference between the second and third floors of the GE), but I would say without hesitation to get the GE first. For one, as was stated by thewatchman, it just feels more like a modular - it's hard to put into words, but it makes a much bigger impact in a layout than the PS, and it isn't just the height. For another thing, it is always wise to get and older modular before a newer one while you still can for the standard retail price. It will be another year or so before the GE starts getting phased out more than likely, especially since the FB is still in stores, but you definitely don't want to wait until you can only get it on ebay or Bricklink.

the pet store is repetative in sections and is not as complex a build as grand emporium.

Hey, I just built both of these sets, and the GE can get extremely repetitive at times. Particularly the four pillars on the ground floor, and the windows. Not to mention that the first and second floors (or second and third, depending on how you count floors) are almost exactly the same. At least all of the floors in the PS buildings are different.

But yes, I'd go with the GE as well. It's just a more impressive building.

Grand Emporium is the best of the modular buildings to date IMO and I am glad I was able to get one :)

Grand Emporium is the best of the modular buildings to date IMO and I am glad I was able to get one :)

Do you have the Green grocer yet?

In my opinon that was the most fun build, though cafe corner was very fun too.

Do you have the Green grocer yet?

In my opinon that was the most fun build, though cafe corner was very fun too.

They said in the first post that they already had the Green Grocer and Fire Brigade.

My family was recently faced with this same decision, and we ended up choosing the Grand Emporium. Not only is it more majestic, it'll also be the first one to go out of production (being older). So if you get the Grand Emporium now, you might still be able to get the Pet Shop if you save up enough money by this time next year!

I'm building Grand Emporium as we speak, and I'm loving it!

I have Fire brigade coming this week. I'm looking to get Pet Store next.

I have the PetShop and Grand Emporium. I enjoyed building the Pet Shop more, mainly because it was two distinct buildings. I also love the way the townhouse turned out.

Lego should have their Modular buildings in LDD, then if desired a fan could change its colours in LDD, and hit a button and order it. It would be a nice way to build an entire street.

I'm a bit disappointed I just got into the hobby so I missed out on the Green Grocer and the Cafe corner, but everywhere I travel now I go into toy stores to see if by some fluke they have an old kit still on the shelf. Unlikely, but its fun. Kind of like searching for an old favourite book.

I have all the modulars except the Pet Shop which I am getting soon, but only one of. The Grand Emporium is great and the only one I have bought 3 of to make a larger store. I also have a boxed Cafe Corner so I can add another floor to my built one.

So my vote goes to the Grand Emporium. It looks empressive and I love the escalators.

taupo2011b.jpg

I have all the modulars except the Pet Shop which I am getting soon, but only one of. The Grand Emporium is great and the only one I have bought 3 of to make a larger store. I also have a boxed Cafe Corner so I can add another floor to my built one.

So my vote goes to the Grand Emporium. It looks empressive and I love the escalators.

taupo2011b.jpg

Posh Shop? Haha, love it.

When the 'Town Hall' arrives, I imagine that the Grand Emporium will be the next modular to be discontinued, so it might be a good idea to make any decisions SOON!

Edit: I take that back - just rang my local LEGO store and they said it's not going to be discontinued yet, but the Fire Brigade will be when the Town Hall arrives on 1st March!

Edited by tom-cat

I would also recommend GE before PS, Besides that it will be the next to go, after FB which will not last through march.

But by the end of the year or soon after GE will be gone!

Also since these buildings are so contagious you'r going to kick yourself if you do miss out on GE!

look how many people are already trying to scrounge up the parts for CC or GG.......

Definitely get GE before you will regret it! :devil:

GE has a nice construction and outer detailing, but it seems a bit bland inside to me. The PS has a lot more story to it and playability value I think :)

Out of the 2 you probably get more with the GE but to be honest I would get both while they are still around and definitely if you find them on sale which is more than probable

I preferred the PS build much better. The GE is a good set, but very repetitious in its build. There is only one correct answer however, get both, and get them sooner than later.

My answer is much like Follows Closely. Definitely get both, starting with the GE, solely because it's going to retire first. The build is the most repetitive of the bunch and a bit boring. The PS is better due to a lot of different colors. Two buildings with nice facade features.

I preferred the PS build much better. The GE is a good set, but very repetitious in its build. There is only one correct answer however, get both, and get them sooner than later.

Agreed. Buy both! :laugh:

I was a little bored when building the GE on the top two floors. I did them first to get them out of the way. The end result was an excellent looking building from the outside though!

I really enjoyed the PS build. A generous amount of reddish brown and sand blue was very welcome.

Having said that, I bought an extra GE just so I could have more tan which I needed for some MOC's as it is a good parts pack. It is still however sat in the DHL box it came in! :blush:

I would go with the grand emporium first especially if your planning on displaying your building in a street layout. Seeing from your post that you already have the green grocer and fire brigade, having a full sized corner building would fit in well with the 2 other modulars. I agree with everyone else that the grand emporium can be a little repetitive in the build but I think it's worth it in how it looks when finished. The pet shop is a nice set too but with two smaller building I see it ss more of a complimentary than a full sized corner building which can be more of a centerpiece set if you have a layout. The pet shop will proably be around longer as it was released just last year so you will have plenty of time to pick it up in the future.