Hello there, sorry to dig out that old topic - I've recently got back into Technic (after around 20-22 years or so...) and luckily for me the Unimog was the first one I've got after such a break. Anyways, this is what made me get it at all cost as my first set:

I've contacted the author, sadly no response for days. My question is: did anyone try to swap pneumatics for mechanical actuators for B (or even better, A) model ? Maybe it's the condition of the set/pneumatics that I got but they seem to be a abit 'wonky' - mechanical actuators seem like a better choice when more realiability is needed.

So, my fellow (and more experienced) technic lovers - did anyone try to do such thing, better, with instructions ? I'd gladly pay for such MOC manual as soon as it's done properly ;)

Thanks and hi everyone, 1st time poster (long time lurker), wohooo ! 

Blichew

Hello @Blichew and welcome to Eurobricks, i also own a Unimog and like you i also think that the pneumatic system isn't that great, maybe the use of the V2 Pneumatics could improve the functions of the set, more specifically in the crane of the A-model, but because it is still pneumatically actuated, the inaccuracy and bouncing of the moving parts can still be a problem, the other options is, as you say, a mechanical system, in my opinion something like the system used in the 42054 or 8258 would be useful, the main 3 functions of the cranes of those sets are turntable rotation, main boom elevation and secondary boom elevation, these 3 functions can be powered easily by the PTOs of the Unimog, using the base platform of the 42054 and the boom assembly of the 8258 should look and work properly on the Unimog, at the moment i'm not capable of doing it because i'm pretty busy right now, but i will try to make this idea, at least in LDD, if this idea works it will definitely be a very cool MOD to make this set even better

On 9/8/2011 at 9:15 AM, Cypr-21 said:

Hi !

Here is Spreader Notice, in HD photography pdf.

Clic here to download it.

I hope you'll like it.

Hi everybody,

Can anybody upload this pdf file again?

On 9/25/2011 at 9:29 PM, tripletschiee said:

I just build up my snowplow in orange too. It features...

.. orange and black panels (I like that, as sometimes there is a black rubber shield attached to the top of the plow),

.. I removed all red parts, replaced them by dark bluish grey ones,

.. I added two cylinders for turning the blade. It's a bit more realistic

.. I added the two little flags that I've seen at AndoS snowplow,

.. two little stabilization wheels,

.. ...

8110_unimog_snowplow_05.jpg

More pictures in my brickshelf-folder, once the admins have published them.

Regards,

Gerhard

P.s.: For the meantime: deeplinks are from 01 til 12... :wink:

Hi All,

Does anybody have instructions for this attachment?

On 10/4/2011 at 12:36 AM, AndroTech said:

I have finally finished my Unimog. OMG it's huge.

I think that, although it's a great model, it needs some modification.

This is how I modified it.

mog_mod.jpg

or for this one?

Having missed out on some amazing sets and developments through the "dark ages", I was blown away by the likes of the 8110 and the 42043 - something I could only dream of as a kid! With a fresh coat of snow on my doorstep, I finally run out of excuses and took some photos of one of my MOCs/MODs to share with the AFOL community that largely inspired me to pick up the bricks (eh, liftarms) again.

If anything, I found the snowplow of the 8110 B-model way more interesting and unique than the crane of the A-model. But the rear of the vehicle was clearly missing something, so I built this functional grit (eh, 1x1 brick) spreader:

50923078357_0e45bd0e61_c_d.jpg

50922267358_78697ef32e_c_d.jpg

A lot of time went into figuring out the angled geometry, and making sure there are no gaps whatsoever, especially around the container belt. The setup works well with pins, small bushes or small bricks - the chute is just over a stud wide. The belt driving sprocket is at the front - while this meant a longer path for the drive shaft, it allowed a much tighter belt radius at the rear, with better looks and function overall.

In the spirit of the original modular model, the gritter attaches via the same mounting points as the bed and crane, and uses the rear power take-off (PTO) to power the conveyor belt and the rotating spreader:

50922952896_6c3d0f29d6_c_d.jpg

Pneumatics power the raising and lowering of the spreader chute (which disengages from the driving gear when raised), and the opening/closing of the cargo doors:

50922952386_1ffa36fd07_c_d.jpg

I am particularly pleased with how the virtual-pivot kinematics of the doors turned out - the doors open and close pneumatically via linkage for filling without increasing the width of the vehicle.

50923078242_38dc870624_c_d.jpg

Linkage right-hand-side view (also shows the belt drive via universal joints and a worm gear):

50923077857_aabac23a69_c_d.jpg 

50922266973_2ae8b309b9_c_d.jpg

Front view of the virtual pivot movement:

50922952236_3f083f4d98_w_d.jpg50923077602_da5d1c9089_w_d.jpg50923077677_60ccb45669_w_d.jpg

More photos and videos can be found here - I hope some in the community will find this MOC interesting/useful from a mechanisms standpoint.

I am looking forward to being part of the Eurobricks community (at the risk of running out of shelf space very soon)!

Edited by ig248

Hi @ig248 it is nice upgrade to U400 B-model. Perhaps you didn't know but we gave this topic for that purpose...

Kind regards

[removed duplicate]

Edited by ig248
duplicate post

3 minutes ago, ig248 said:

Thank you for the kind words @I_Igor. Should I move the post to that topic?

Well it is just a friendly advice since we have that topic for years and (in most cases) it is not the best solution to have dozen of new topics dealing with the same thing. Another practical thing is then we other members want to peek into some solution we can easily find where it can be....but if course @Jim and @Milan have final word in this case...

Kind regards

Good points @I_Igor, doesn't look like it's within mortal members' powers to delete the topic again :)

10 minutes ago, ig248 said:

Good points @I_Igor, doesn't look like it's within mortal members' powers to delete the topic again :)

But every little thing can make big change :wink:

Thanks guys, for pointing this topic. It has been merged, so we can have another great mod for 8110 in one designated topic! :thumbup:
Nice work, Ig248!