r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

It's the IGN interview

It's here in this thread

Hmm, another funny detail:

Have you seen how that guy had problems to put the 1x1 fossil-part onto the hand of the Minifig (at Minute 2:00)?

We just had a discussion about similar problems with the hiker's compass in the Series 16 thread.

It seems it is not an unusual problem... :laugh:

It's only a question of time when products getting more expensive.

It means CMFs have more than doubled in price - 100% price increase, since being introduced only six years ago. There's no inflationary explanation for that.

There's some "inflationary explanation" for it. There's also a good deal of basic supply and demand involved as well.

It means CMFs have more than doubled in price - 100% price increase, since being introduced only six years ago. There's no inflationary explanation for that.

The collectible Minifigures startet at 1.99$ in 2010.

Already in 2011, with Series 3, the price increased to 2.99$.

That's a 50% price increase in only one year.

I think the price for the first two years has only been something like an introductory price.

Maybe Lego recognized that they were too cheap for the quantity they need, who knows?

But it also means that the price remained stable for six years, and that's really remarkable.

The price increase is long overdue in my opinion.

Edited by Mellow

Wait so is the price increase to $3.99 or to $4.99? Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure they've been $3.99 for awhile

Re the price increase, I just have to say, I started collecting the series with, I think, series 12. Since then, I have been picking up earlier figures here and there as I can afford. Comparing current figures to some of the earlier series' figures I can see where the collectable line has come a long, long way. Some of those earlier minifigures, like in Series 1, for instance, really lacked the level of detail that I have come to enjoy (although they are perfectly fine, don't get me wrong). I don't think the series should continue to increase in price by 100 percent, though. That kind of increase is a bit hard to swallow no matter how stellar the figures might be.

I think that Lego has watched the prices of the "second" market and have realised that people pay easily 1-2€ more for a Minifig from the actual series and about 3-10€ (or even more) for the older series. Why shouldn't they try to get some more of that piece of cake?

There will be enough fans who pay that price ... But it is really a big jump!

In the last series there were lot of additional items and some Minifigures have more value than others (because of more pieces like for example the hiker or the imp). Perhaps in the future series every bag contains more items?

There are a couple big differences between the direct market and the secondary market.

Most importantly you know exactly which minifig you are getting on the secondary market. I generally consider myself very good at feeling bags but I occasionally screw up. Also it can take me a long time to go through a display of minifigs to get the ones I want. If LEGO wants their raise their prices closer to the secondary market, they should consider clearly marking the minifig inside.

The price differences on the secondary market are simply increments of $1 (or your local currency). I can stomach occasional price increases, but if they were 25 or 50 cents it would seem more reasonable. I see why they don't want speculators buying up vast quantities to drive up prices and scalp minifigs.

I applaud LEGO putting out the Easter Chicken Suit Guy as a way to bring secondary market prices down on those and get a popular figure into the hands of kids again. The casual fan wins with these efforts.

I hope LEGO returns to the occasional minifig blister pack similar to the Halloween and Bdach ones as a way to get older CMFs to fans. It would be great to get a Roman one with the Emperor, Centurion, Officer, and Gladiator. They could also do a Far East one with Kimodo Girl, Sumo wrestler x2, Ninja, Samurai Warrior.

The collectible Minifigures startet at 1.99$ in 2010.

Already in 2011, with Series 3, the price increased to 2.99$.

That's a 50% price increase in only one year.

I think the price for the first two years has only been something like an introductory price.

Maybe Lego recognized that they were too cheap for the quantity they need, who knows?

But it also means that the price remained stable for six years, and that's really remarkable.

The price increase is long overdue in my opinion.

The price hasn't ever been stable for six years.

2010: $1.99

2011: $2.99 starting with Series 3

2014: $3.99 starting with The Simpsons Series

2017: ?

The price has never been stable for more than 3 years, and considering the last increase was 2 years ago, it hardly seems overdue. Maybe they want to jack up the price by $1 again because it will have been 3 years again. Personally I think that at $4 a piece for a single minifig, that's pretty close to the actual value of the figures, even though I've already had to accept a 100% price increase since I started collecting.

I think that Lego has watched the prices of the "second" market and have realised that people pay easily 1-2€ more for a Minifig from the actual series and about 3-10€ (or even more) for the older series. Why shouldn't they try to get some more of that piece of cake?

There will be enough fans who pay that price ... But it is really a big jump!

In the last series there were lot of additional items and some Minifigures have more value than others (because of more pieces like for example the hiker or the imp). Perhaps in the future series every bag contains more items?

I can believe this because the amount some people pay in the secondary market for some minifigures is crazzzzzy. :wacko:

I can believe this because the amount some people pay in the secondary market for some minifigures is crazzzzzy. :wacko:

Yeah I was going to give the Easter Bunny as a gift, turns out I only had one, go online.... insanity.

However $5 for a minifigure is just too damn much. I would love if they did retro series with the ones that have the biggest secondary value, just to screw with people.

However $5 for a minifigure is just too damn much. I would love if they did retro series with the ones that have the biggest secondary value, just to screw with people.

It's not just to screw up with people who resell... as a manufacturer, one should look if the secondary market demand is a result of an actual lack of supply. I think TLG is now exploring this area to generate data.

It's not just to screw up with people who resell... as a manufacturer, one should look if the secondary market demand is a result of an actual lack of supply. I think TLG is now exploring this area to generate data.

Seeing as they would save on having to make new designs, it seems plausible to me that they might attempt something like this, if not soon, then 5-10 years down the line.

I applaud LEGO putting out the Easter Chicken Suit Guy as a way to bring secondary market prices down on those and get a popular figure into the hands of kids again. The casual fan wins with these efforts.

I hope LEGO returns to the occasional minifig blister pack similar to the Halloween and Bdach ones as a way to get older CMFs to fans. It would be great to get a Roman one with the Emperor, Centurion, Officer, and Gladiator. They could also do a Far East one with Kimodo Girl, Sumo wrestler x2, Ninja, Samurai Warrior.

I absolutely agree. The Chicken Suit Guy was a great move, and I think these new Toys R Us Brocktober packs that have been seen are a missed opportunity to do what you're talking about here. How about a Forest pack with the Elf, Forest Maiden, and Forestman. Or a Royalty pack with the King, Queen, and Princess (maybe toss the Wizard and the Heroic Knight in there). Or a pack with a bunch of the animal suits, like Bunny Suit, Gorilla Suit, Bumblebee Girl, etc. A Halloween pack would be great, too. So would a Space pack.

Anyways, Seeing some of these CMFs return again in other forms would be a fantastic move. Even if they wait a certain number of years to 're-release' them, it would be smart to get more of these out there.

The price hasn't ever been stable for six years.

2010: $1.99

2011: $2.99 starting with Series 3

2014: $3.99 starting with The Simpsons Series

2017: ?

Damn, it's my fault. :sadnew:

I mistook the US-prices with the european ones.

Here the actual Series still cost 2,99€, and will be increased in 2017 up to 3,99€ (if the rumors come true).

Damn, it's my fault. :sadnew:

I mistook the US-prices with the european ones.

Here the actual Series still cost 2,99€, and will be increased in 2017 up to 3,99€ (if the rumors come true).

Wait, so can someone summarize the European price increases? I haven't really been following that.

If the Euro to USD conversion rate has decreased since the last European price increase, that might explain a European price increase and might suggest that the US might be saved from this BS.

Yeah I was going to give the Easter Bunny as a gift, turns out I only had one, go online.... insanity.

The insanity in the secondary market is too real. I'd love to some retro minifigures too, because i just only started collection in series 10, and i don't even have all of series 10 complete. And i definitely agree, 5 dollars would be way too much. Thinking about it just makes me :angry::hmpf_bad::wacko:

Edited by BrickFit26

The insanity in the secondary market is too real. I'd love to some retro minifigures too, because i just only started collection in series 10, and i don't even have all of series 10 complete. And i definitely agree, 5 dollars would be way too much. Thinking about it just makes me :angry::hmpf_bad::wacko:

Oddly I stopped with 10 or 11 because the price jump from $3-4. Also when that happened it became difficult to find any at TRU. I bought a bunch of 3-10 because they were $2-2.50 on sale at TRU, but that ended, and the 1-2 times in recent years TRU had that sale they were always sold out.

Oddly I stopped with 10 or 11 because the price jump from $3-4. Also when that happened it became difficult to find any at TRU. I bought a bunch of 3-10 because they were $2-2.50 on sale at TRU, but that ended, and the 1-2 times in recent years TRU had that sale they were always sold out.

I believe the price increase from 3-4 dollars started with Simpsons series 1 because I didn't get that series in a "protest" of the price increase, which i kind of regret not getting now lol. I never see minifigures on sale. :sceptic:

And this is why Simpsons 3 didn't happen

Found today:

1.99 is a really good price. Simpsons 2 was around earlier this year in my area, but i don't see them anymore.

I believe the price increase from 3-4 dollars started with Simpsons series 1 because I didn't get that series in a "protest" of the price increase, which i kind of regret not getting now lol. I never see minifigures on sale. :sceptic:

Yes. The Simpsons came out after series 11, the last one I got (with the cute elves that were super cheap), then Simpsons I ignored and Series 12 were $4 too.

I think Europe will see a price increase but the USA will not. There is that tax over there the the USA doesn't have.

And this is why Simpsons 3 didn't happen

Found today:

<image snip>

Simpsons Series 1 was available on the US Lego Shop@Home from its release till the end of December that year, alongside the later series without mark down.