sonicstarlight

MOC: Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to say that this is the most impressive custom I have seen. I really wish Lego would release something like this, I would easily pay $200+. Very nice job, I'm very envious.

Guess what I saw the other day! :tongue:

It looks even better in person.

Great shot, and thanks for the compliment! I agree that photos don't quite do it justice.

And wow, over 10,000 views on this topic now! Thank you all. :blush:

Well since the topic has nog died out yet and I just saw it for the first time: absolutely brilliant design, amazingly done and for me as European it is very recognizable as a 30's theater and diner :)

I would like to suggest one addition which struck me when I visited New York (yes I've been there just once for a full 10 days :P): fire escape ladders! It could be added to the balcony if you have the space for it.

But maybe you are already 10 steps ahead of me (instead of 9) and it just doesn't fit?

But still one of the best MOC's I've seen lately, and I've been lurking for a while now...

Great shot, and thanks for the compliment! I agree that photos don't quite do it justice.

And wow, over 10,000 views on this topic now! Thank you all. :blush:

I was very surprised to see it there. Had I not seen it before on here I would have thought it was a new set. Also, I didn't realize you were in my area. I'm out on Long Island.

What was the website on that card for AFOLs?

I would like to suggest one addition which struck me when I visited New York (yes I've been there just once for a full 10 days :P): fire escape ladders! It could be added to the balcony if you have the space for it.

That's actually a good idea. The space it tight but it could certainly be done. The modular I did before this had a fire escape on the front of it, so I think I was over fire escapes at the time.

I was very surprised to see it there. Had I not seen it before on here I would have thought it was a new set. Also, I didn't realize you were in my area. I'm out on Long Island.

What was the website on that card for AFOLs?

Yep, I'm a New Yorker - work in Manhattan and live in Brooklyn. I just recently joined up with I LUG NY (www.ilugny.com) which is how I got to put this build in the Rockefeller window - if you want to know more about the group, just PM me.

Jaw-dropping work. If LEGO made them I would buy them.

I'm a huge fan of Art Deco/Moderne and you serve them well. I wasn't aware of the Town Center cinema but yours is far superior.

Truly awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by htbomb

Since the topic is up again, let me just congratulate Sonicstarlight for this amazing work and his own display window in LEGO store. I've been to NY about a year to early to see it displayed. However, it's a greatly detailed and very inspiring creation as seen on the pictures so I can only imagine how breathtaking it looks in reality.

Sweet mother of Zeus, this is amazing. I would love it if you were to put this on Cuusoo and this were to be made into a set.

Sorry for dragging this thread back up, but I came here from the pic in the signature and just couldn't not post. This is some amazing work right there and some great motives you've chosen.

Absolutely incredible. Quite possibly better than Lego could've done themselves!

I never understand this sentiment. Of course really nice MOCs are going to be better than most official set. The builder doesn't have to worry about strength, price, legal connections-only, parts count, etc. I have no problem believing that without constraints, Lego's designers could build modular buildings on par with the best we see here.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Sweet mother of Zeus, this is amazing. I would love it if you were to put this on Cuusoo and this were to be made into a set.

Sorry for dragging this thread back up, but I came here from the pic in the signature and just couldn't not post. This is some amazing work right there and some great motives you've chosen.

It is on CUUSOO, actually - a fact I only just now realized. Check it out! Sonicstarlight doesn't seem to be one for self-promotion so I guess it's up to the rest of us to get the word out about it. :grin:

I remember seeing this on cuusoo and liked it enough to support it :thumbup: . One of the features that I like is how you made the diner have rounded edges. Also, the color choice works well, in my opinion :classic:

Edited by somara

I am in love with that theater. I have a bit of a secret love for movie palaces and your MOC has the look down pat. the diner has a nice greasy spoon vibe going on. I dig it, man, great job on the both of them! :thumbup:

Wow :wub:

What a cool M.O.C. ! I really like the theater (seriously, it's great!) but my favorite one is the dinner.

They are awsome : you are very talented.

Nice job !

You have amazing builds. With the "leak" of the Palace Theatre for the modular series, I have to say, I'd much rather spend my money on the bricks to build your theatre. Fabulous work - would be thrilled to have this in my street scene.

You have amazing builds. With the "leak" of the Palace Theatre for the modular series, I have to say, I'd much rather spend my money on the bricks to build your theatre. Fabulous work - would be thrilled to have this in my street scene.

Yeah, I would hate to ask if you had any instructions on how to build our own. I could probably handle the Galaxy Diner, but the Empire Theater is just something that I wouldn't be able to match in quality.

I could be mistaken, but generally speaking stunning MOCs like this one tend to use a lot more bricks (and more different bricks) than the 2000 bricks of an official modular (and I'm not counting in the diner). You should be prepared to pay a lot more than € 150,- to build Sonicstarlight's Theatre. But it would be best to try and build a MOC by yourself.

Now it's been bumped, I'd like to chime in and say that these modulars are beautiful. The construction of the cinema and projection room above is very creative!