Henchmen4Hire

LEGO parts made of Chinese plastic?

No, but there are parts that are. I wrote to the TLG a few months ago asking about Chinese made parts and that is part of what they told me.

Oh, your wording confused me a bit.

CMFs have shown to be a prime example.

And also the ONLY example. Nobody seems to be able to tell which bricks are made in China and which aren't. Seems to me then that there's nothing to worry about.

Yellow has been a consistently poor colour ever since the switch away from pre-coloured pellets. And, if anything, I'd say the yellow coming out of China is more consistently the same shade than anywhere else.

I noticed this just yesterday when building the NinjaCopter. Specifically, some of the yellow Technic parts from that and the Unimog which I also built recently are far too orange (almost to the point where they could be confused for Flame Yellowish Orange). I'm pretty sure Technic isn't produced in China, but rather in the European factories. The yellow in my CMFs is far more consistent; only the hands are ever any different from the standard, and even then only slightly. And that could be a materials issue, since I think minifig hands use a softer, more pliable plastic than the solid heads or arms.

I noticed this just yesterday when building the NinjaCopter. Specifically, some of the yellow Technic parts from that and the Unimog which I also built recently are far too orange (almost to the point where they could be confused for Flame Yellowish Orange). I'm pretty sure Technic isn't produced in China, but rather in the European factories. The yellow in my CMFs is far more consistent; only the hands are ever any different from the standard, and even then only slightly. And that could be a materials issue, since I think minifig hands use a softer, more pliable plastic than the solid heads or arms.

Yeah, colored Technic parts have issues with color being of slightly different shades for some reason :sceptic: I can understand that when comparing liftarms and say connectors (these looks like made of a different plastic or mixture), but when two same liftarm have different shades - that's bad. I've noticed this with yellow, red and blue parts. Black, LBG and DBG seems to be fine.

And also the ONLY example. Nobody seems to be able to tell which bricks are made in China and which aren't. Seems to me then that there's nothing to worry about.

So far as we know regular bricks are not made in China yet. That's what they are building a TLG owned factory for. The Chinese factories are generally used for specialty stuff. Blind bagged or promotional packaged minifigs (possibly some others such as Chima). Big figs. Very specialized head molds. And very very unusual specialized parts. Often stuff that comes individually bagged.

So far as we know regular bricks are not made in China yet. That's what they are building a TLG owned factory for. The Chinese factories are generally used for specialty stuff. Blind bagged or promotional packaged minifigs (possibly some others such as Chima). Big figs. Very specialized head molds. And very very unusual specialized parts. Often stuff that comes individually bagged.

Don't know if they're actually in any current sets but I think the system cows/goats/pigs are among that list. Maybe the chickens? I seem to recall the barn animals mostly coming in separate bags last set I got with them.

Don't know if they're actually in any current sets but I think the system cows/goats/pigs are among that list. Maybe the chickens? I seem to recall the barn animals mostly coming in separate bags last set I got with them.

The LotR and Hobbit lines have the Wargs and Eagles both in separate plastic bags. Does this mean they are from China or does this only apply to small pieces usually mixed with a big bag of parts like helms, hair, etc?

The LotR and Hobbit lines have the Wargs and Eagles both in separate plastic bags. Does this mean they are from China or does this only apply to small pieces usually mixed with a big bag of parts like helms, hair, etc?

Forgot about the wargs. I don't have any eagles though. But I'm pretty sure the wargs are chinese plastic. From what I recall, everything individually packed (except cloth parts, of course) is from the Chinese factories.

Things like the Wargs, Eagles and cows probably fall into the same category as BigFigs, and are probably mainly made in China. The only exceptions being the common system set animals like horses and dogs.

Cloth, including capes and fabrics, and any CMF part that appears in normal sets, are most certainly made in China

You can really notice the difference between CMFs and "regular" minifigs.. The CMFs just feel very cheap, the legs already feel old (no friction), awful lines, etc. I can deal with them being crap, since I only display them, but if LEGO ever go full China I'm definitively boycotting them.

The reason we buy LEGO is for the quality!

Cloth, including capes and fabrics, and any CMF part that appears in normal sets, are most certainly made in China

Not necessarily. The making of cloth parts is fairly cheap and easy regardless of where they do it. There probably isn't much benefit to specifically producing the cloth stuff in China. I would guess they have a few sites setup to do cloth the printing and die cutting, and use whichever one is convenient for the produced item. So CMF capes may be made in China, but Ninjago sails may be from elsewhere. Etc.

Not necessarily. The making of cloth parts is fairly cheap and easy regardless of where they do it. There probably isn't much benefit to specifically producing the cloth stuff in China. I would guess they have a few sites setup to do cloth the printing and die cutting, and use whichever one is convenient for the produced item. So CMF capes may be made in China, but Ninjago sails may be from elsewhere. Etc.

I hope this isn't off-topic but on the note of cloth parts, is it just me or is the cloth a lot "stiffer" these days? It crinkles and creases worse than I remember my older capes doing. Most of my really old star wars ones (while admittedly a bit frayed from being tossed in a lego bucket through my dark ages) have more of a soft feel to them that the new ones don't seem to really get even if I try to break them in a bit. The new ones almost feel like paper, they're so stiff (though that doesn't feel like the right word... starched?) I feel like I could give myself a paper cut with them.

Edited by Hrafnblod

I hope this isn't off-topic but on the note of cloth parts, is it just me or is the cloth a lot "stiffer" these days?

I've noticed actually a variety of materials used now for capes depending on the figure. Certain capes are quite stiff like you say, perhaps the majority, but I've gotten others that were quite soft such as Vitruvius' cape, Gandalf's cape, and Dwalin's cape, to name a few. Dare I say that LEGO is purposefully giving softer capes to bearded figures so that the capes don't retain a messed-up shape when not used with a beard? That's probably thinking about it too hard.

Personally, I like the stiffer capes since they seem less likely to fray. Nearly all of my capes from the early 2000s (when capes really exploded due to Star Wars and Harry Potter) look very shaggy and worn. It's hard to say since there haven't been as many years on the newer capes, but they seem less likely to do that.

About the separately-bagged part thing: there has been one set with separately bagged parts that did not list China as a country of origin. It was the PoP Ostrich Race. The ostriches certainly don't feel like normal LEGO, since the hard black parts don't have the normal LEGO sheen, but make of that what you will.

Personally, I like the stiffer capes since they seem less likely to fray. Nearly all of my capes from the early 2000s (when capes really exploded due to Star Wars and Harry Potter) look very shaggy and worn. It's hard to say since there haven't been as many years on the newer capes, but they seem less likely to do that.

I absolutely hate them when used with things like quivers, longer wizard hair (Saruman and Gandalf), or the LotR/Hobbit elf hair.

Edited by Deathleech

I hope this isn't off-topic but on the note of cloth parts, is it just me or is the cloth a lot "stiffer" these days? It crinkles and creases worse than I remember my older capes doing. Most of my really old star wars ones (while admittedly a bit frayed from being tossed in a lego bucket through my dark ages) have more of a soft feel to them that the new ones don't seem to really get even if I try to break them in a bit. The new ones almost feel like paper, they're so stiff (though that doesn't feel like the right word... starched?) I feel like I could give myself a paper cut with them.

I've noticed the same, but with the ship sails. The sails for my Black Seas Barracuda are softer and more flexible than the sails for my 10210 Imperial Flagship. I feel like I could accidentally tear the sails for the Flagship, although they do hold their shape better than the BSB sails.

I've noticed actually a variety of materials used now for capes depending on the figure. Certain capes are quite stiff like you say, perhaps the majority, but I've gotten others that were quite soft such as Vitruvius' cape, Gandalf's cape, and Dwalin's cape, to name a few. Dare I say that LEGO is purposefully giving softer capes to bearded figures so that the capes don't retain a messed-up shape when not used with a beard? That's probably thinking about it too hard.

About the separately-bagged part thing: there has been one set with separately bagged parts that did not list China as a country of origin. It was the PoP Ostrich Race. The ostriches certainly don't feel like normal LEGO, since the hard black parts don't have the normal LEGO sheen, but make of that what you will.

I don't have any of those ostriches. I want them, though, I need to pick up some of the animals I missed during my dark ages. Even if they're made in china, I haven't really found a lot of fault with the non-minifigure pieces from there. Probably because there's less fiddling with non-figures, but yeah. I don't have a lot of the LotR/Hobbit stuff but my.. whatever dwarf in Warg Attack that has the cape, and my Haldir both have the 'stiff' capes. So I haven't noticed softer capes for characters whose headgear always gets knocked off by stiff ones, I can barely keep Haldir or the Dwarf's hair on.

I absolutely hate them when used with things like quivers, longer hair (Saruman and Gandalf), or the LotR/Hobbit elf air.

Pretty much agree. But I also remember Qui-gon's hair in particular, from the first wave of Star Wars sets, had trouble staying on even with the softer capes of the time. Even if they fray a bit more I think I prefer the softer cloth to the kind that feels like it could snap in half.

I've noticed the same, but with the ship sails. The sails for my Black Seas Barracuda are softer and more flexible than the sails for my 10210 Imperial Flagship. I feel like I could accidentally tear the sails for the Flagship, although they do hold their shape better than the BSB sails.

I haven't bought any ships since I came out of my dark ages, save bricklinking the Armada Flagship. But I could see it being a bit of a good thing for sales, my old Skull's Eye Schooner has pretty limp, shapeless sales, and always has.

Hi,

Polybags for example

Hobbit Lake-town Guard Polybag , Set 30216 are made in China like CMF series ??

Edited by Adam87

Hi

so what? Half of the things you will get in touch with during your life is mad in China!

This has nothing to do with any difference in quality. Just about that e.g. hand painted headpiece are cheaper to produce there.

LEGO is producing there and THEY take care anout the quality.

Nevertheless we already have a topic where CHINA!! made parts are being discussed.

Dino

yea but everyone claim about quality of CMF so i`m wondering if sets in polygabs are also poor quality like CMF are

I don't think the Chinese made sets are poor quality. A couple of possible moulding issues (and very minor ones at that... you want moulding issues then check Megabloks pieces!) and the odd colour variation that has happened in other countries of manufacture don't make them poor quality.

We have three pieces of cloth currently. Gandalf's cape and the skirt on the Pretzel CMF girl feel very similar -- almost paper like.

But we also got a cloth "bedspreads" in a Duplo princess set I found on Clearance this Christmas and that feels more cloth-like.

yea but everyone claim about quality of CMF so i`m wondering if sets in polygabs are also poor quality like CMF are

I don't think they're Made in China in their entirety (because as far as I'm aware standard bricks generally aren't). I've never really managed to get my hands on one though, polybags are impossible to friggin' find in the states, it seems like.

Hi

so what? Half of the things you will get in touch with during your life is mad in China!

This has nothing to do with any difference in quality. Just about that e.g. hand painted headpiece are cheaper to produce there.

LEGO is producing there and THEY take care anout the quality.

Nevertheless we already have a topic where CHINA!! made parts are being discussed.

Dino

You're wrong, there's a distinct difference in quality between europe-made minifigs and chinese-made.

You're wrong, there's a distinct difference in quality between europe-made minifigs and chinese-made.

Got that right! Certain specialty poly bags are made in china. Turns out my TC-14 and Incredible Hulk are made in china. The polybags that are sets I would say no. Just seems isolated to the mini-figures. Not so much worried about capes and the like as they receive little attention other than hanging off the figure.