Fugazi

2011 Alien Conquest

Mothership has 24 of: Light Bluish Gray Slope, Curved 2 x 4 x 2/3 No Studs with Bottom Tubes which is highly wanted for making Emerald night Coaches or other train stuff. A few days ago there were just a few on BL and now it seems situation is getting better.

It also has full circle of Indinana Jones narrow gauge rails (although in black), 24 pcs of trans blue 1x4 tiles and a lot of grey bricks, so, I will probably just buy it for parts or mod it somehow to use just center part as flying saucer.

Whoa! *oh2* I somehow totally failed to realize it has those elements. I already wanted this set a lot, short list of play features be damned - the handful it does have are full of win, for me - but now, I want multiples of this set. I'm totally jonesing for it!

The mothership to me is like the 7707 Striking venom. It is very large and skeletical, but that probably means that the mothership will be great as a cherry to put on top of an Alien army. Imagine a couple of tripods and saucers being shadowed by a mothership that no longer looks empty because of the smaller sets using its space.

Unfortunately, the price is not practical 60 USD is like twice of what the Striking venom used to cost and I think they may have the same amount of pieces and the same size...

I would not mind at all getting one if I find it 25% off.

Wow, those product descriptions sure could have used some revisions. They claim that the Earth Defense HQ has more minifigures than it does, as well as consistently calling the reporter in the mothership set "he."

Wow, those product descriptions sure could have used some revisions. They claim that the Earth Defense HQ has more minifigures than it does, as well as consistently calling the reporter in the mothership set "he."

They also show the minifigure shot for the Earth Defense HQ in the gallery for the Alien Mothership. They have a few kinks to iron out of the listings, apparently. :tongue:

It's still great to see them up at last, though. I can't wait to see them in person!

Unfortunately, the price is not practical 60 USD is like twice of what the Striking venom used to cost and I think they may have the same amount of pieces and the same size...

Striking Venom was $50 according to Peeron. It did have 646 pieces as opposed to the Mothership's 416, but the ship does have those large track pieces and a sound brick.

Couldn't resist! Went back to toys r us and picked up the mother ship 7065 :sweet: the jet copter looked lonely so I got that too, leaving 7050 being the only Alien Conquest set I didn't have, so I got that too :laugh:

Alien Conquest super review incoming once I get them built :classic:

Striking Venom was $50 according to Peeron. It did have 646 pieces as opposed to the Mothership's 416, but the ship does have those large track pieces and a sound brick.

It was heavily discounted for most of the time and I still see copies of it in in some stores, after 5 years. I also heard from one retailer that their supplier still has large quantites of it, for really low prices, bu no one wants it.

I hope that it will be better with this mother ship (I personally did not want to buy Striking Venom for 20 euro, but would give at least 40euro for mother ship, so for me its much better)

For me Alien Conquest isn't as cool as Space Police 3 which became my favorite space theme. Using the old-fashioned style of 50's and 60's movies about alien invasions is a bit embarrassing, I would prefer something more modern.

But the theme is still very good, and I certainly will buy 7049, 7051, 7052 and 7067. The mobile unit vehicle from 7066 looks bulky, but this set will join them. 7050 and 7065 disappointed me.

It was heavily discounted for most of the time and I still see copies of it in in some stores, after 5 years. I also heard from one retailer that their supplier still has large quantites of it, for really low prices, bu no one wants it.

Wow, really? I'd like it; I wish I had access to your stores. :sceptic:

How much is it going for now, in those stores that still have it?

I'm starting to realize a big drawback to the mother ship is this:

5443785355_841e09f694.jpg

For a model that's supposed to hover over everything, you'd think it would be especially important to make a nice looking underside. But this mother ship's underside is terrible. Why on earth would they use white and red bricks for the bottom? If I saw that hovering over my city, I'd just laugh and the alien's colorblindness.

I still don't think the set is bad overall, but that seems like a huge oversight.

I'm starting to realize a big drawback to the mother ship is this:

For a model that's supposed to hover over everything, you'd think it would be especially important to make a nice looking underside. But this mother ship's underside is terrible. Why on earth would they use white and red bricks for the bottom? If I saw that hovering over my city, I'd just laugh and the alien's colorblindness.

I still don't think the set is bad overall, but that seems like a huge oversight.

I believe some of the LEGO reps at Toy Fair said the underside was unfinished, hence why there are exposed, colored wires connected to the not-yet-finalized sound brick. Hard to be sure since we have yet to see a proper review of the mothership, but the build itself could very easily have changed significantly since that version shown at Toy Fair.

EDIT: Just discovered that the latest catalog lists an Alien Conquest Battle Pack as item 853301. It contains both types of Alien Trooper, two ADU soldiers, and the businessman from the tripod set. Not sure if it is or isn't made in China, but I'd assume it is, so let's not start the Chinese plastic debate here until someone owns the battle pack and can tell us whether or not it shares the quality issues that the occasional Chinese-made products have had.

Edited by Aanchir

Just an awesome theme - huge nod to Classic Space which is (long) overdue!! I 've already got the Alien Defender and can't wait to get more.

A great start to a theme with huge potential - let's hope there is a huge Earth Defence Spaceship on its way!!

I like the idea too of different colour ADU minifigs maybe as the theme unfolds although the new-blue team look great.

Btw, minifigs say ADU which is "Alien Defence Unit" but there is an "Earth Defence HQ" and an "Alien Defender" - are the goodies Alien Defence or Earth Defence? Maybe both - why not..?! Bring 'em on!

Wow, really? I'd like it; I wish I had access to your stores. :sceptic:

How much is it going for now, in those stores that still have it?

I think its around 25-30 eur, maybe 35...

I also checked BL price and its around 30 euro average (MISB), so its really not popular.

[quote name='Aanchir

EDIT: Just discovered that the latest catalog lists an Alien Conquest Battle Pack as item 853301. It contains both types of Alien Trooper, two ADU soldiers, and the businessman from the tripod set. Not sure if it is or isn't made in China, but I'd assume it is, so let's not start the Chinese plastic debate here until someone owns the battle pack and can tell us whether or not it shares the quality issues that the occasional Chinese-made products have had.

It appears that this battlepack is currently not available in the U.S., I checked shop at home and it's not listed yet. Hopefully it will show up when the sets start appearing in stores.

There have been a few signs that Blacktron might make a comeback, but with City Space I'm not to sure about this, but still it does sound quite interesting default_classic.gif

Blactron is my fav theme during my childhood.

The series 3 space villian gt a blacktron logo. A sign?

...EDIT: Just discovered that the latest catalog lists an Alien Conquest Battle Pack as item 853301. It contains both types of Alien Trooper, two ADU soldiers, and the businessman from the tripod set...

vaultboy.jpg

Seriously, this theme needs a battle pack, the lack of minifigs astounds me. If I collected every set, I would have less than 10 ADU guys. Oh, and more aliens + ray guns are cool too.

Including the civilian in the battle pack seems to be a great way to make the battle pack less useful for space fans. Anyway, it would be great if those battle packs were available outside US...

Seriously, this theme needs a battle pack, the lack of minifigs astounds me. If I collected every set, I would have less than 10 ADU guys. Oh, and more aliens + ray guns are cool too.

I would say the best way to stock up on ADU troops is buying a wealth of 7049 Alien Striker and 30141 "Jetpack Dude", since they're guaranteed to be the set-quality of plastic. Not saying anything about the battlepack yet, but at this point you can't GUARANTEE that it will be of the same quality - we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Including the civilian in the battle pack seems to be a great way to make the battle pack less useful for space fans. Anyway, it would be great if those battle packs were available outside US...

I don't see why you would be complaining about another minifig. Besides...

ac004.jpg + 61287.jpg = useful to space fans.

@Vynsane: I'm looking for alien troops too, but that's a good idea as well, especially since I figured out where my local Target likes to stash its polybags. I'd get a a black jetpack piece too, although no aliens.

Edited by JustinYum

Well, since the point of the theme is an alien invasion of Earth, the battle pack is probably geared towards scenes related to that setting. Thus, extra civilians for the aliens to terrorize. At least they didn't put in a minifigure who you couldn't really use more than one of in an alien invasion scene, like the farmer or the news reporter.

Something I noticed in the catalog is that both the ADU soldiers and Alien Troopers have alternate torso prints for pilots. I had seen the ADU pilot torso in reviews, but had never seen any mention of the alien pilot torso. Of course, to be fair the catalog is really the only place to identify the two torso designs as being connected to separate roles, since unlike the ADU every alien from Alien Conquest is some type of pilot. None of the sets have had simple alien footsoldiers of any kind (unless you count the alien pilot).

Something I've noticed because of this theme is that very few sets this year use color 298 Cool Silver Drum Lacquered (BL's Metallic Silver). Instead, LEGO is moving towards using the newer 315 Silver Metallic (BL's Flat Silver/Pearl Light Gray/Pearl Dark Gray/Metallic Silver, depending on the set and who's doing the inventory). I definitely approve of this decision, as it makes consistency in silver colors a lot easier to establish if the "pearl" color is used more consistently in sets. And although I was a huge fan of Agents with its abundant Cool Silver Drum Lacquered parts, I am already growing very fond of the new silver after obtaining it in Atlantis, Hero Factory, and Minifigures sets from this year.

Edited by Aanchir

The battle pack looks good and the civilian looks like he could be generically useful even if you owned a few (the head is great and the torso would go great for businessmen, executives and others who wear suits)

I don't see why you would be complaining about another minifig. Besides...

BPs should be for army building. This fig is taking the place of an alien troper, a scientist or an ADU soldier. And that civilian is already in the tripod set anyway.

BPs should be for army building. This fig is taking the place of an alien troper, a scientist or an ADU soldier. And that civilian is already in the tripod set anyway.

So what? Suppose you did amass an army of alien troopers and ADU soldiers. They'd still be laughable if they were trying to defend a grand total of three panicking civilians, wearing completely incongruous clothing. Doesn't make for a very grand display.

As it is, I see no harm in having multiple businessmen. It's a great way to demonstrate the chaos the invasion is causing. And do businessmen in suits really need to look that unique? Conformity is basically what the business suit is meant to represent! And if it's that much of a problem you can swap the face prints, since you'd probably be doing that with the ADU figs anyways.

I'm not much of an army builder, but I'm not prejudiced against them either. I just don't see why civilian figs in this theme are less valuable to army builders than the more military figs when they're the ones most directly impacted by the invasion-- and the ones who embody what the ADU soldiers are trying to protect.

I'm not on a PC or Mac, so I can't see the link. What faces do the ADU troopers have? I'm hoping for the female and the elderly man...

Thanks for the news, though!