Oky

2011 LEGO Boardgames News & Discussion

Are the monster heads in Fortaan Castle standard minifig size?

Heroica sounds like a lot of fun to play. The Battle Heroica variant is especially fun for anyone who likes playing a villain.

It's good to know that the microfigs don't look different just for cosmetic reasons but actually have different play mechanics. The rules seem to be flexible enough that you can't help but create your own house rules.

No. Tinyfigs are one piece.

Thanks for rules! They sounds easy to play! I wonder what weapons in bigger sets do!

And I love them that way :laugh:

they might not be custom mixable or too too compatible with the minifigs, but they're a stellar aesthetic match - and I wanna add in my CM caveman as a Heroica Giant (one eyed space police alien head makes him Polyphemus of the Odyssey :sweet: ). I do think it would be hilarious if there was an 'adapter torso' though - a minifig body with a tinyfig body shape cutout :grin:

and you're welcome for the scans :wink:

also, besides weapons we've got all the other powerup bottles to find out about (I wonder if one might be a speed doubler or an invisibility coat for sneaking past a particularly bad baddie), and the rest of the hero abilities - lots of good extra fresh stuff to expand with.

oh and the thing that got in my mind that made me post - I was looking at this poster in the game box : it's a comic strip and a layout for the specific game, with the layout for the giant combination board on the other side. I was looking at the placement for all the little bottles because I was putting it all into LDD, while I was all insomniac in the wee hours, and the phrase "periapt of vitality" kept jumping up and down in my mind - I'm pretty sure that's a Warcraft 3 thing. I feel really dorky :grin:

my younger siblings are all getting really into it though, especially my 6 year old goddaughter. she's pretty much taught my whole family the rules, and boy does she hog the 'barbarian' :grin: and it's so easy to enjoy when you can play it with the kids - I just have to fight my LEGO urges to dismantle it and throw all the great parts into my hoard :laugh:

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Thank you for scanning the instructions, SpiderSpaceman! I can't wait to get a chance to play Heroica myself. Like I've said earlier, this boardgame could easily become the next big thing in AFOL/TFOL scene.

This is great,One cool rule would be having your hero be able to use the crystal of deflection as shown on the last page of the rules.Wonder what the axe heads on waldruk are, magic barriers perhaps. Post rules when you get them please.

This is all amazing. The rules are easy to get, but what does it say about combining? Any rules included for that? Or still have to use and make your own rules?

no 'rules' but a schematic for the layout. I think it's likely that the combo rules are only included in one of the bigger sets

no 'rules' but a schematic for the layout. I think it's likely that the combo rules are only included in one of the bigger sets

I almost not dare to ask, but can you get/make a scan of the schematic layout?

And does anyone of you know when those games will be available in Europe? Thanks in advance :thumbup:.

And does anyone of you know when those games will be available in Europe? Thanks in advance :thumbup:.

Officially August. This is actually the first time I've seen a Board Game available in the States before Europe.

I would have scanned it, but it folds out like a road map and the scanner I'm using isn't big enough :sceptic:

but I do have one of these as a replication, if you use LDD

lddscreenshot28.png

^ and that's the file by the way

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Thanks for rules! They sound easy to play! I wonder what weapons in bigger sets do!

http://flic.kr/p/9L2Pbw

I had the chance to see a pre release version of the Heroica games. Of course, by fair play I haven't posted any pics that weren't otherwise available or posted rules. Since the sets are now released, I can share the info I have.

Each microfig hero has a special skill.

Barbarian Melee: Defeat ALL adjacent monsters and move 1 space

Wizard Ranged: Defeat a monster up to 4 spaces away, even around corners

Druid Ranged: Restore full health

Knight Ranged: Move up to 2 spaces and defeat an adjacent monster

By extrapolation

Thief Melee: Defeat the monster and take 2 gold from store

Ranger Range: Defeat a monster up to 6 spaces away in a straight line.

There are six weapons, corresponding to each of the hero characters.

Any hero can use any weapon, but a hero's skill is better than the corresponding weapon skill.

Weapons.

Axe Melee: Defeat ALL adjacent enemies

Wand Ranged: Defeat a monster up to 3 spaces away, even around corners

Staff Ranged: Restore up to 2 health

Bow Ranged: Defeat a monster up to 5 spaces away in a straight line

Dagger Melee: Defeat the monster and take 1 gold from the store.

Sword Ranged: Move 1 space and defeat an adjacent monster

You can buy weapons from the store (3 gold) and sell them back (2 gold)

Of course, these are just the printed rules. People will make up their own rules I'm sure.

http://flic.kr/p/9L2Pbw

I had the chance to see a pre release version of the Heroica games. Of course, by fair play I haven't posted any pics that weren't otherwise available or posted rules. Since the sets are now released, I can share the info I have.

Each microfig hero has a special skill.

Barbarian Melee: Defeat ALL adjacent monsters and move 1 space

Wizard Ranged: Defeat a monster up to 4 spaces away, even around corners

Druid Ranged: Restore full health

Knight Ranged: Move up to 2 spaces and defeat an adjacent monster

By extrapolation

Thief Melee: Defeat the monster and take 2 gold from store

Ranger Range: Defeat a monster up to 6 spaces away in a straight line.

There are six weapons, corresponding to each of the hero characters.

Any hero can use any weapon, but a hero's skill is better than the corresponding weapon skill.

Weapons.

Axe Melee: Defeat ALL adjacent enemies

Wand Ranged: Defeat a monster up to 3 spaces away, even around corners

Staff Ranged: Restore up to 2 health

Bow Ranged: Defeat a monster up to 5 spaces away in a straight line

Dagger Melee: Defeat the monster and take 1 gold from the store.

Sword Ranged: Move 1 space and defeat an adjacent monster

You can buy weapons from the store (3 gold) and sell them back (2 gold)

Of course, these are just the printed rules. People will make up their own rules I'm sure.

Does the helm of protection have a special bonus like the crystal of deflection does? Also even though the hero skills are better each hero only has a ranged or meelee but not both, Buying a weapon could change that. Does anyone else have any homebrew rules, Im thinking of creating more classes weapons different spells and possibly adding in sometype of racial bonuses to the game.

Edited by aangmaster333

I would have scanned it, but it folds out like a road map and the scanner I'm using isn't big enough :sceptic:

but I do have one of these as a replication, if you use LDD

lddscreenshot28.png

^ and that's the file by the way

Woah *oh2*, that's just briljant! Even better than a scan I would say. Thanks alot for making and sharing this. I hope you had fun to make an LDD out of it. Thanks agian :thumbup:

Does anyone have the forest, If so post a scan text or picture of the ru :sweet: les

I almost got it yesterday but sadly, my TRU had a half-price dented Slave I box, and I had to change my plans :thumbup:

What is the price to buy all of the sets, I got a few hundred dollars to spare so i might buy them all. Sorry i wont be able to scan rules my scanner dosnt scan onto computers, it just instantly prints. :hmpf_bad:

According to Brickipedia the US pricing is:

3857 Draida Bay 101 pieces $14.99

3858 Waldurk Forest 225 pieces $19.99

3859 Caverns of Nathuz 217 pieces $19.99

3860 Castle Fortaan 304 pieces $29.99

The pricing looks typical of the LEGO Games theme. Unfortunately, I was shocked to learn that LEGO Champion has very steep pricing.

3861 LEGO Champion 216 pieces $34.99

I guess I won't be getting the two female microfigs exclusive to this game. :cry_sad:

So far far i think these sets are really cool! They are not out yet where i come from,but with the scan post here(thank you very much :wink:),the .lxf file and a dice i tried it out and i like it,alot:) Does anyone have the scans for the other sets(forest and caves,and a better castle fortan)?

Also as anyone tried to create their own layouts ? cause with ldd the community can definitely share new ,custom made adventures for heroica among each other. That is something i really look forward to :laugh:

Edited by Aveal the black sheep

The pricing looks typical of the LEGO Games theme. Unfortunately, I was shocked to learn that LEGO Champion has very steep pricing.

I guess I won't be getting the two female microfigs exclusive to this game. :cry_sad:

Don't worry, I imagine a number of people might be buying this set and parting it out on Bricklink. Those 2x4 bricks in rarer colors like Medium Lilac (Dark Purple) and Light Purple (Bright Pink) could be in high demand as well!

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO Champion's pricing might have something to do with it having a "brick tray" similar to that in Creationary. And it might also have cards or some other sort of non-brick content? Who knows? In any event, I am hoping it will have the same level of all-ages fun as Creationary, because if the contents don't justify the price the gameplay still might (says the guy who still hasn't gotten Creationary :tongue: ).

Those prices seem to be fair. As Draida Bay would be almost €10,50 and Castle Fortaan would go for €21 as those prices are right and the value of Dollar and Euro would stay around the same I might (be able to) buy them all. Or maybe not just all 4 at once.

I bought all 4 at toysrus for roughly 70 dollars with the 25% off sale. the two middle sized sets have two different builds shown. and fortaan has 3.

The crystal in Draida is the only "treasure" that you cannot use once you obtain it. The others have special properties for the player whose has them.

Chalice= +2 hp to the character who obtains it (so that sharacter would have 6 hp instead of 4)

scepter= you can take a defeated monster from another players hero pack and place it anywhere on the board

Helmet= +1 hp you place it on your figs head

weapons are purchased for 3 gold sold for 2.

the ranger is one of the most useful characters. I am hoping that they will make more of these sets. It would be cool to see one that has more elevation to it.

special rules for each place.

-forest: when you end your turn on a blue "magic space" you can relocate either of the magic doors (the blue axes) to an empty dark grey space. if you are by the magic door and roll a shield you get to slip through the the first spot on the other side.

-cave: when you come upon rocks you stop and roll different things happen depending on the roll either slip through, remove the rocks entirely, or are forced to step back from the rocks.

-fortaan: you need a key to get through doors- once they are unlocked they remain unlocked.

Edited by Archer

What about the monsters that you place on the same place as your HP and items and weapons.

Is it only to keep count of how many you have killed or have those an extra effect once defeat and placed on your stand?