def

What are you reading?

Im reading the Making of Star Wars.

It's a really good book and provides a lot of insight to the film that started it all. :thumbup:

Almost finished Twilight: The Eclipse. I thought the Twilight series seemded pretty rubbish but it isn't bad at all. :thumbup::sweet:

CF

I just recently finished 1984, by George Orwell. Wonderful book.

Great book! If you haven't already, check out Brave New World, it's the antithesis of 1984, rather than scared and paranoid, the people are happily entertained and docile. It seems the real future will be a fusion of the two.

1984 is some heavy reading, especially the appendix on newspeak (or whatever it was called). I sometimes wonder if the massive increase in slang these days (thanks to TV/movies, etc.) is leading to a generation who think like that; like, you know, that's what I'm saying! lol...

Just finished all the "saturae" by Juvenal (Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis). Not in Latin, but translated. :grin:

Yet very interesting books, not classical, but a critical view on imperial Rome.

Oh, and I read "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin not long before. Awesome book, like a Russian precurser to 1984 and Brave New World.

Edited by Peanuts

Great book! If you haven't already, check out Brave New World, it's the antithesis of 1984, rather than scared and paranoid, the people are happily entertained and docile. It seems the real future will be a fusion of the two.

A number of people have recommended it, so I think I'll read it fairly soon.

It's great to see so many bookworms on here!

I am 250 pages into "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. You really have to love your history/academic work to enjoy it properly. But I like it!

Edited by Miss Kyle

Currently I'm reading the Women Of Justice series, book 2 - Don't Look Back. :classic:

also this makes my 300th post! :wink:

I'm reading Behemoth by Scott Westerfield, about halfway through.

I love all the twists and turns the story takes, and the Late-Steampunk story.

The illustrations are epic, too.

(If anyone decides to read it, it's the direct sequel to Leviathian.)

I'm also going through the second volume of Azumanga Daioh, if that interests anyone.

At the moment I'm reading a Dragonlance novel called "Dragons of Summer Flame".

The book has the same feel as the other six Dragonlance novels I've read, but not up to par in the story. I don't think I can get into the whole next generation thing.

I am reading "Heartless" by Gail Carriger, part 4 of the Parasol Protectorate series. It's as wonderful as the other three and I am really considering some PP MOCs :D

After falling in love with the Game of Thrones series on HBO, I immediately ordered the first 4 books in the Song of Fire and Ice series. Book 1 (Game of Thrones) was fantastic, and the HBO series did it great justice. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Book 2 (Clash of Kings) and it is equally good. It just might be edging out Lord of the Rings as my favorite literary work to date.

I've just finished reading the 2nd (and final) book in the Dirk Gently series by Douglas Adams.

I actually liked them more than his Hitch-Hiker series.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone who likes the Hitch-Hiker's Guide. They are really great books, possibly my favorite ones ever, and have a perfect mix of humor and thought-provoking philosophy. :wub:

I'm reading The End Of Eternity from Isaac Asimov, when I'm at home, Musashi Miyamoto from Eiji Yoshikawa, when I'm at work :blush: and Nobody's Boy from Hector mallot, when at bed :tongue:

Will soon be reading the last and sixth tome of Earth's Children, from Jean Auel, a monumental story (something like six thousand pages) about a woman living in Europe during the paleolithic era.

I've recently finished reading The Chronoliths, from Robert Charles Winston, Waiting for Godot, a play from Samuel Beckett, and The Man In The High Castle, from Philip K. Dick, one of my favorite books.

I rarely make mistakes when I choose the books I'll read :tongue:

At the moment I'm reading a Dragonlance novel called "Dragons of Summer Flame".

The book has the same feel as the other six Dragonlance novels I've read, but not up to par in the story. I don't think I can get into the whole next generation thing.

It's a Great book...It just takes time getting into it.

I'm reading Behemoth by Scott Westerfield, about halfway through.

I love all the twists and turns the story takes, and the Late-Steampunk story.

The illustrations are epic, too.

(If anyone decides to read it, it's the direct sequel to Leviathian.)

I know I'm somewhat late in replying to this post, but I just wanted to say that I read Leviathan a few days ago, and loved it. I'll absolutely be on the lookout for Behemoth.

I also read Brisingr in a day, one of Christopher Paolini's tomes of the Inheritance Cycle. I don't see why the critics thought it the worst of the first three books, I loved it. Especially the forging of Brisingr itself. Of course I read it in preparation of Inheritance, the final book in the cycle, coming out November 8th. I'm pretty excited for it, and it comes out two weeks before my birthday. I'm buying it as an early birthday present to myself. Can't wait!

... and The Man In The High Castle, from Philip K. Dick, one of my favorite books.

I love this book :wub: I've read it three or four times, and it always reveals new details to me. All of Dick's 'time-slip' books are a lot to wrap one's head around.

A Clockwork Orange. Dystopia!!! :look:

That's a good one too. It takes a few chapters for the language to sink in, but once you're with it, it's really great.

I strongly recommend Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker for you. It is set maybe 2,000 years in the future, and the language is even more dramatically different. Anthony Burgess loved it and did the main cover blurb for it.

Thanks for the suggestion Def, I just checked out a summary of that and it looks quite interesting. I think I need to take a break from dark satires for a while though.

Edited by Skipper

I'm about half way through the rather snappily titled 'Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty'... :sweet:

I've been bouncing books of against each other thematically depending on my last reads, as I keep a stock pile of possibly a hundred or so unread books from which I work my way through according to the last one read and whatever mood I might be in at the time.

So my current read comes of the back of two contrasting character reads, the first was the rather delectable Natsuo Kirino's 'Out', it follows through on a series of great modern Japanese novels that I have been reading in recent years and is a beutifully told look into the psyche of modern Japan and it's decay through the eyes of various character's... I was so taken in by the character portrayal I went on to the rather dissapointing 'Virgin Suicides', I don't have much to say about this one other than it was sitting on my shelf for years and when I finally read it, it was just :hmpf_bad: well nothing really, just insipid and rather flat for me... more annoyingly it reminded me of the far superior 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' so the comparison did it no favours.

But yeah, coming full circle, of the back of two character studies I am now currently reading a factual almost biographical study into the fascinating North Korean leader Kim Il-sung.