EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

I just finished watching Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace last night, It was fantastic, I seen it before about a year ago but I was watching it on the computer and it was pretty bad quality so I watched it on dvd last night on the ps3, and it was a hell of a lot better !!

I'm planning on watching Episode 2 The Clone Wars tonight, can't wait its going to be awsome !!!! :sweet::sweet:

Edited by The Batman

I saw that recently as well. Pretty intense. I've seen Colin Farrell in some bad/annoying roles, but he was good in this. Another good movie with him is In Bruges.

Seriously? I hated 'In Bruges', I spent the whole movie waiting for something suspenseful to happen, but nothing came :sceptic: . I found it a pretty bland story, to be honest. I don't really understand what the big deal was about that movie. Overall, it was received rather bad over here in Flanders (where it was filmed). Maybe it's because everybody here already knows Bruges, we see that city a million times during our lifetime here. Every kid visits the city over and over with school. Plus, Flanders is really tiny, so the maximum distance you can live from Bruges is about 3 hours. Maybe it's that mysticism we lack over here and that makes the movie appealing to audiences abroad?

Tintin and the secret of the Unicorn 3D, was an awesome movie, loved it. :wub: And cant wait if it will coe in DVD someday. I hope there will be more movies coming out soon!

Captain Becker

Tintin and the secret of the Unicorn 3D, was an awesome movie, loved it. :wub: And cant wait if it will coe in DVD someday. I hope there will be more movies coming out soon!

Lucky, we got to wait till Christmas. :hmpf_bad:

Went to see Tower Heist today, much better than I thought'd be. Ending didn't agree with me, though. :sceptic:

The Jurassic Park series. Having only seen the third one before (and even that was years ago), I pounced at the chance to borrow a friends DVD boxset. The spectacular visuals, along with some great performances (such as

and
), help to overlook disproven facts (e.g Velociraptor being depicted as being bigger than Turkeys, and without feathers). Even the child actors were good, if a bit overused by the third film. I mean really, how many kids wind up trapped on those islands! :tongue:

Unfortunately, as with all disaster films I watch, there are always minor characters who I get attached to, and always end up dying quite painfully (

in Jurassic Park,
in the Lost World, and
in the third). :hmpf_bad:

I've seen a lot of movies in the past few days! :laugh:

The Muppets: Good movie with some good humor, great family movie.

Muppet Christmas Carol: Ranks up in my favorite Christmas movies. :wub: Great humor and music, plus there's Micheal Caine! :wub_drool:

Disney's a Christmas Carol: Good acting and music, but nothing too spectacular.

A Christmas Carol, The Musical: Lots of Caroling lately! :laugh: I love this one! Kelsey Grammar is amazing as Scrooge, and so is Jason Alexander as Marley! Highly reccomend it.

Watched the new Conan movie, now I don't mind the occasional mindless, throw-away, turn-your-brain-off film but this was BAD.

Here's one you don't hear about too often anymore: Linklater's Waking Life...

Interesting choice of film... I remember seeing this when it first came out at the cinema, I found it interseting in the way it explored existential realities but ultimately I found it lacking in a cohesive narative that eases you along the it's journey.

I guess the reward is in the discovery and exploration of the ideas that it brings up. I'm still undecided wether the *excellent* animation is effective or indeed neccesary in this film, it's clearly been added on top of actual filmed footage and is wonderful in it's richness but somehow the range of this medium doesn't seem to be fully realised or explored here.

It reminds me in a way of the quite superb (and far far superior) animated film Waltz With Bashir...

... it somehow drags so much emotion and meaning out of simple graphics that puts to shame most conventional movies. Whilst Linklater's Waking Life goes full on into an exploration of existential thinking that becomes the essence of the film, Waltz With Bashir similarily skirts around self thoughts and the meanings and consequences of that but does so in what I found a much more lighter and cohesive manner.

Another animated film that I recommend and one that shares similar traits, is the wonderful

... you quickly navigate around the simplistic line drawn cartoon affect and get quickly drawn into the emotion of the wonderful story.

Interesting choice of film... I remember seeing this when it first came out at the cinema, I found it interseting in the way it explored existential realities but ultimately I found it lacking in a cohesive narative that eases you along the it's journey.

I guess the reward is in the discovery and exploration of the ideas that it brings up. I'm still undecided wether the *excellent* animation is effective or indeed neccesary in this film, it's clearly been added on top of actual filmed footage and is wonderful in it's richness but somehow the range of this medium doesn't seem to be fully realised or explored here.

Interesting point you've brought up, Art; my thoughts on this...

Although the lack of a storyline initially put me off as well, I’ve come to view it as an interesting artistic decision... a major theme of the film is that life is not a cohesive sequence, but rather a series of moments (more or less addressed in Linklater’s own monologue near the end of the film), all blending into each other, and this is also illustrated in how abrupt the transitions are between monologues – there isn’t enough time to fully appreciate one moment, because you’re already in the next.

The film also brings up the existence of multiple realities independent of time so that one is never sure which reality they’re in (as evident from Julie Delpy’s line about how a few minutes of dreaming could contain the whole of one’s life and even suggested by Eamonn Healy’s line on multiple existences as a result of telescoping evolution, not to mention the fact that the question of whether the protagonist even survived the car accident at the beginning of the film is ultimately left unanswered) and the wavering look that the animation generally has really serves to accentuate that idea. I thought it was very visually disorienting, but then again it’s also touched upon in the film that we need to understand what the restrictions placed on ourselves are so that we can further the full realization of human potential... overall the big question is where we are and what we're doing, and this film was a wonderfully intense and enlightening exploration of that universal question, with ways of viewing the world most would never have thought of. As apparent from the scratches in the surface I've mentioned above, the choice of medium was an excellent one to convey this sort of message.

Edited by fallenangel309

I've recently watched what is both my favourite Christmas movie, favourite Rom-Com, and quite possibly my favourite film of all time: Love Actually. Yes, it was odd choice to reference 9/11 in a Rom-Coms introduction, but it's a good film, capable of making tears come to my eyes with both laughter and sadness. And if that wasn't enough, it stars Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Bill Nighly, Liam Nesson, Kiera Knightly, Kris Marshal and Rowan Atkinson!

EDIT: There are ten clips of the film on Youtube, all of which showcase the actors mentioned above, starting

! Edited by Professor Flitwick

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

I liked it, it was quite thrilling and exciting :sweet:

And seeing the performance of the i8 was good too :sweet:

Managed to get my daughter to sit down with me on Sunday to watch my favourite Christmas movie; Edward Scissorhands. I'm not a particularly emotional guy but the end of that film affects me almost as much as the end of The Empire Strikes Back. Fighting to retain my masculine exterior I turned to my daughter and asked what she thought of it - 'It was alright', she said :sceptic: - kids!

Edited by Praiter Yed

Alice in Wonderland.

I watched pretty much all of Depp's movies and this wasn't going to be an exception.

Ugh, that movie was bad. I'm sorry nobody warned you (me either).

Managed to get my daughter to sit down with me on Sunday to watch my favourite Christmas movie; Edward Scissorhands. I'm not a particularly emotional guy but the end of that film affects me almost as much as the end of The Empire Strikes Back. Fighting to retain my masculine exterior I turned to my daughter and asked what she thought of it - 'It was alright', she said :sceptic: - kids!

I actually hadn't seen Edward Scissorhands either until last week. I enjoyed it. Actually I had seen a little of it, but I was a young kid. Same thing happened with Nightmare Before Christmas - I saw that one for the first time as an adult too.

I saw some Christmas movies recently. I think I saw two versions of A Christmas Carol (one with muppets, and one with Scrooge McDuck). I also get forced by my girlfriend to watch some bad romantic comedies around this time of year, like Four Christmases and Just Friends (her favorite movie of all time). One time I tried to "get back at her" by making her watch Star Wars, which of course she ended up loving. (Besides, who makes it to adulthood having never seen any Star Wars? I mean, really?)

I actually hadn't seen Edward Scissorhands either until last week. I enjoyed it. Actually I had seen a little of it, but I was a young kid. Same thing happened with Nightmare Before Christmas - I saw that one for the first time as an adult too.

I saw some Christmas movies recently. I think I saw two versions of A Christmas Carol (one with muppets, and one with Scrooge McDuck). I also get forced by my girlfriend to watch some bad romantic comedies around this time of year, like Four Christmases and Just Friends (her favorite movie of all time). One time I tried to "get back at her" by making her watch Star Wars, which of course she ended up loving. (Besides, who makes it to adulthood having never seen any Star Wars? I mean, really?)

1. I could tell beforehand it was going to be questionable with you-know-who as the mad-you-know-what - who in the posters looked remarkably like Elijah Wood. I watched it anyway, as I do most Tim Burton films, and I enjoyed the cameo voice actors. I will say little more.

2. I still haven't got around to that one. Was too young when it came out. Nightmare I never saw until a few years ago. Would've been better back in the day, but still not bad. I preferred The Corpse Bride though.

3. Regarding SW, I put my ex through the entire saga as she'd never seen any of it. My first reaction when she told me was shock & disbelief. To her, Hayden Christiansen was The Jumper, Harrison Ford was just some old dude (don't know if she'd even seen Indy) Liam Neeson was... the guy from Batman Begins, Christopher Lee was Saruman (that's fine though) and who was everyone else? I made her watch Alien too, then Spaceballs to cap that off! She never made me watch bad romantic comedies, but stuff like Fast And The Furious movies. Not sure if that was better or worse.

I guess it depends on personal taste as I find Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland a very enjoyable movie, so enjoyable that it's even one of my most favorite of all time. Call me Shallow Hal on this one and I'm in no way a movie expert but I guess what's important is at the end of watching the movie you have that good feeling of enjoyment.And because I thoroughly loved that movie I even recently bought the DVD and watched it again last weekend (and gave me an idea for my next MOC project). <br>

I agree, the latest installment is miles better than the last two. A lot more gadgets too.

I agree, the latest installment is miles better than the last two. A lot more gadgets too.

I just watched a film called Escape From Sobibor, its a brilliant film set in WW2 and revolves around a Jewish Death Camp (Sobibor) and how the biggest revolt and escape took place. It is based on a true story and once you get past the first 32 seconds you realise how amazing the film is. I dont want to give out to much information, because I would rather you all went and watched it so heres a little synopsis from Wikipedia.

Escape from Sobibor is a 1987 British made-for-TV film which aired on CBS. It deals with the extermination camp at Sobibor, the site of the most successful uprising by Jewish prisoners of German extermination camps (there were two other uprisings, at Auschwitz and Treblinka). The film was directed by Jack Gold.

On October 14, 1943, members of the camp's underground resistance succeeded in covertly killing eleven German officers and a number of Ukrainian guards. Of the 600 inmates in the camp, roughly 300 escaped, although most were later re-captured and killed. The escape forced the Nazis to close the death camp, dismantling it and planting a forest.

Here is a youtube link for anyone interested, please beware, the film contains heavy violence, nudity and some bloody scenes. Id say if you are under the age of 14/15 and can be squeamish then dont watch this, but otherwise, enjoy. :thumbup: :

The Adventures of TinTin. Awesome is all I can say. A must see.The animation is excellent. It is almost to the point of reality. The story line is really good as well. We took our three kids to see the 3D version and enjoyed it.

LMW

Edited by Legoman of War