Sign in to follow this  
Big Cam

The European Lego Fans Community

So through random events I ended up here.

At what point did this site stop being the European Lego Fans Community and become Eurobricks? As newer member I never new of the old site, and I was curious if there is any type of history lesson I can get?

Or was this simply a host move and I'm being nosey again?

Somewhere in March 2008 we moved hosts and providers because of our growing traffic. The move from being a European oriented website to a global site happened gradually and so we've dropped the old tagline in our banner to match reality. Now we're a site dedicated to those wonderful European bricks (TLG is a European brick-making company after all).

Somewhere in March 2008 we moved hosts and providers because of our growing traffic. The move from being a European oriented website to a global site happened gradually and so we've dropped the old tagline in our banner to match reality. Now we're a site dedicated to those wonderful European bricks (TLG is a European brick-making company after all).

Doh, I did not put that together :cry_happy:

Very interesting thank you.

I was lurking for news on the site just before it became the site it is today.

The proportion of American, Canadian, AUS, NZ members still existed though.

The proportion of American, Canadian, AUS, NZ members still existed though.

Indeed! I found EB back in 2005 when searching for set reviews. I didn't join at the time because forums aren't really my thing ( :wacko: ), I was trying to be subtle about my LEGO interest, and because the "Euro" part. I thought that I wouldn't be allowed to join! Eventually I noticed (via the flag tags) that there were many non-Europeans on the site, so join I did!

I remember that site, I was member back then :grin:

It really was a shock coming to this new site, quite a change from the old.

Now its a shock to go back :tongue:

I also like how the site's slogan has changed from being " The European LEGO Fans Community" to "Uniting LEGO fans from all over the world"

Very fitting :thumbup:

I knew that there was an old site but I had never seen it. I like the banner, we should resurrect it for a special month.

Great find Big Cam

Somewhere in March 2008 we moved hosts and providers because of our growing traffic. The move from being a European oriented website to a global site happened gradually and so we've dropped the old tagline in our banner to match reality.

Yeah some punk kept repeating for over a year Eurobricks should update its tagline to reflect the increasing international dispersion of its user base. Eventually this suggestion was taken on board and the tagline was updated in 2007, but you'd have to ask Hinckley for a more precise date since he designed the updated skin.

Good to know a bit more of the history of Eurobricks, since also I joined later (September 2008). I did visit EB and Classic-Pirates a lot before that date though (half a year?), just didn't bother to sign up.

I discovered Eurobricks while googling for Napoleonic minifigs (metal ones from Old Glory actually) and bumped into Bonaparte's Imperial armies thread. Since I always liked LEGO and still had my old and quite large collection, including about 50 bluecoats and a dozen or two of redcoats, I decided to start building my own Napoleonic army with LEGO as well, next to my metallic Old Glory army.

This is very interesting. I never knew anything about Eb, espesially this. Someone needs to write up the history of EB.

We did have an account of Eurobricks history once but it hasn't been updated since mid 2006. Its been lost and forgotten these days...

In many ways the forum itself is it's own history! Aside from the mysterious EB1, EB2 and EB3 which we have no record of (rumour has it that EB1 and EB2 were sabataged and EB3 vanished just after going public and will return in our time of need), everything else is here, including the first topic!

Indeed! I found EB back in 2005 when searching for set reviews. I didn't join at the time because forums aren't really my thing ( default_wacko.gif ), I was trying to be subtle about my LEGO interest, and because the "Euro" part. I thought that I wouldn't be allowed to join! Eventually I noticed (via the flag tags) that there were many non-Europeans on the site, so join I did!

I lurked on EB around that time too, coming from links posted on Lugnet. I was actually looking for a good Lego forum at the time, but the seemingly European focus kept me from joining too. It looked like a local LUG's forum to an outsider.

How old is EB, exactly?

I lurked on EB around that time too, coming from links posted on Lugnet. I was actually looking for a good Lego forum at the time, but the seemingly European focus kept me from joining too. It looked like a local LUG's forum to an outsider.

What did change your mind about joining up?

In many ways the forum itself is it's own history! Aside from the mysterious EB1, EB2 and EB3 which we have no record of (rumour has it that EB1 and EB2 were sabataged and EB3 vanished just after going public and will return in our time of need), everything else is here, including the first topic!

Well thats curious, there are so many Honoray Citizens but when you go to the members list, there are only 5 Honorary Citizens??

Well thats curious, there are so many Honoray Citizens but when you go to the members list, there are only 5 Honorary Citizens??

I guess those accounts are closed, because you also cannot find 'banned' or 'taking a break' members via the members search function (for good reasons).

What did change your mind about joining up?

I came back 3 or 4 years later and noticed that many posters had listed their locations as outside Europe, and there was more overall activity as well, so I registered. :classic: Lugnet was also pretty much dead by that point, at least the sections I used to frequent.

I guess those accounts are closed, because you also cannot find 'banned' or 'taking a break' members via the members search function (for good reasons).

I suppose that makes sense, but I wodner why close an honorary citizens account,.

Because sometimes staff members need to make important decisions. Things happen and issues need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

And to add to the confusion I'm actually an Honorary Citizen :grin:

And to add to the confusion I'm actually an Honorary Citizen :grin:

In your case the title is just Honorary.

Does that make me an Honorary Honorary Citizen?

Yes. Your full title is; Governor Phes, the Honorary Honorary Citizen.