Sign in to follow this  
The Green Brick Giant

Why don't European boxes have the piece count?

I have always wondered this, to me it makes sense to have the piece count on the box, but that's only done in North America. So why? I understand not having the title of the set on the box, because there are 20 languages in Europe, but piece count? It should be on all boxes everywhere.

It's probably done in the USA because of the hot competition over there. If you can justify a good value product from the number of pieces for the price, TLG may just win over from competitors. HOWEVER, I don't have a clue why there ISN'T a piece count on EU boxes :wacko:

Edited by The Rancor

I also don't know why, but I would guess it's some kind of legal issue in North America that demands the piece count to be on the boxes.

But I agree, it's weird that we don't have it in the rest of the world and I think it would be a good idea to have. Much easier to check the price per piece value (even if it's not an optimal variable).

I'll admit I use the piece count as a secondary indicator if a set looks particularly small/large for the price, just as an added check as to how good/poor value the set is.

However, it isn't a failsafe indicator of value, and as such, it probably makes sense for Lego not to include it if they don't have to.

Different companies have different regulations. In the US its required that the box tell you what's inside of it (hence piece counts), but it isn't necessary in EU

There you go :wink:

Basicly, In America, It's required, but it's not required elsewhere. It's a case of "If you don't have to, why would you?"

Hope thats the kind of answer you were looking for.

I was actually thinking about this the other day; we don't have any piece count here in Aus either. It would be very helpful, and I wonder why there is only piece counts in North America.

But as someone said, it might be something legal, and if it's not necessary here, why waste ink on it?

why waste ink on it?

:sceptic: It doesn't actually use any more ink. It's not like there's bare cardboard where there would otherwise be a set number. The ink is just different colors.

Most likely, it's a psychological marketing thing. The lack of a piece count means that the average buyer wouldn't be able to do an immediate cost per part analysis. That is likely designed to result in more buys from impulse from the marketing material, i.e. box visuals and other marketing hype.

That the parts count is legally necessary in the US is a way to protect the consumer from getting something other than what they thought they'd get using the box visuals alone.

edit: fixed tags

Edited by Lord Admiral

i THINK i know THE reason why. You know how people make returns at stores?

Well to avoid selling a PS3-shaped piece of wood to a customer, inventory checks if what theyre selling is complete and exactly whats in the contents section in the instruction manual of every set.

Edited by knuclear200x

I always got my iPhone with me so I just use a simple search to find it out.

Dont know why they dont put it on the boxes tho

I think it's only Europe and Australia that don't have the piece counts listed. I have gotten a few old sets from Japan and South Korea in the past (with text in the corresponding languages), and they have the piece counts listed like the US boxes.

As Lord Admiral said, it's a marketing tactic. It might actually be cheaper for TLG to put the piece counts on all boxes (simply due to economies of scale), but not having it there may result in more impulse buys from casual shoppers.

i THINK i know THE reason why. You know how people make returns at stores?

Well to avoid selling a PS3-shaped piece of wood to a customer, inventory checks if what theyre selling is complete and exactly whats in the contents section in the instruction manual of every set.

The store employees aren't going to sit there and count several hundred Lego pieces though. :tongue:

I never even knew that. I'd just die without my piece count. Some people use it to back up there thoughts on a set, I use it to determine weather to buy the set or not. I would never buy something with a low piece count at a high price.

You've got me wondering the same now too. Perhaps it has something to do with preventing people from figuring out that they're not getting a good deal? But, I don't really know anything bout European exchange rates, so perhaps it's just because people in Europe know their Lego, unlike stupid Americans (me) who demand a piece count. :laugh:

Edited by Darth Legolas

I never even knew that. I'd just die without my piece count. Some people use it to back up there thoughts on a set, I use it to determine weather to buy the set or not. I would never buy something with a low piece count at a high price.

I also usually check piece counts on the internet before buying. Especially for discounted sets that I mainly buy for parts.

You've got me wondering the same now too. Perhaps it has something to do with preventing people from figuring out that they're not getting a good deal? But, I don't really know anything bout European exchange rates, so perhaps it's just because people in Europe know their Lego, unlike stupid Americans (me) who demand a piece count. :laugh:

I guess we've implicitly found the answer in this thread. TLG would like to not disclose the piece count on boxes because people will start comparing across brands and see that one Lego piece is more expensive than another rip-off brand piece. Because U.S. regulators like to keep customers like Darth Legolas 'stupid' :wink: , TLG is forced to put the piece count on boxes in the U.S.

Guys, My post wasn't a suggestion on the topic. It's the official answer from Steve.

See here :wink:

Not much of an answer, he said "I think" let me double check and then he never posted again, so that's not very official.

Altough it does make sense, and that would be my guess but it's not official.

Not much of an answer, he said "I think" let me double check and then he never posted again, so that's not very official.

This has been been addressed as early as 2001, I believe by Brad Justus, although I don't think there's a written transcript. We've all heard this circulated around quite a bit, so at this point, I think we can say with extreme confidence that yes, this is why the North American boxes show the piece count.

What I haven't heard has been an official reason for why they piece counts are NOT on the European or Australian boxes. People have ventured guesses and speculations, but I'm not sure we've ever gotten a reply from LEGO. As stated, I similarly think it's to prevent people from over-thinking a set and concluding that one is a better deal than another. A LEGO buyer might see the 6199 Hydro Crystalation Station, which was $90 with 472 pieces, and see 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins which was $80 for 710 pieces, and conclude that 6199 was a terrible deal, and 5988 was an amazing deal. And in reality, 6199 might have a different price/piece ratio because of its large transparent elements, its raised baseplate, 12 chrome elements, or simply because it IS a worse deal. Anyway, it's a good guess that LEGO doesn't want you using piece count to evaluate the quality of a set.

DaveE

I think it would be more their disadvantage on price per piece ratio compared to clone brands than among Lego sets.

not sure if this has been discussed in other places (i searched but didn't find anything) or if it's common knowledge that i'm unaware of but i was wondering why some regions/countries have the piece count for a set printed on the box and some do not. is this a legal thing, i.e. governmental regulations dictate that they must clearly state it? is it cultural, maybe some places are less likely to buy without knowing the amount of pieces? maybe LEGO just like to confuse me? :laugh:

and in the places where it doesn't say the count on the front of the box like it does here in the US, is it stated somewhere else; either on the box in fine print or maybe in the instructions?

edit: this post made more sense when i posted it as a topic haha.

Edited by RXBandit

Gotta give Rick credit for being able to dig up a thread nearly two years old. Eurobricks Staff are awesome that way. :thumbup:

sorry about that :blush:

like i said, i searched but i wasn't quite sure what to look for. searching "set piece counts" didn't show me this topic. thanks for the redirect!