Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Governer

MAJOR reasons why Pirates WILL return in 2010!

Many users of Eurobricks are saying that the Pirates probably WON'T be returning in 2010, because of it being an anniversary line. I have some very good reasons why Pirates will return in 2010.

1) 6299-1.jpg

The Pirates Advent Calendar includes a regular BLACK shako! Not a shako with the gold medal-like design, a regular black one all the way from 1989! This could mean that the Legend's Pirate sets are being produced again!

2) The Armada helmets are appearing in every single set you could think of!

These are 2 VERY good reasons why I believe the Pirates will return 2010!

The Pirates Advent Calendar includes a regular BLACK shako! Not a shako with the gold medal-like design, a regular black one all the way from 1989! This could mean that the Legend's Pirate sets are being produced again!

Or, They just forgot to add the design because its well known that Lego are failing in the quality part.

But you could be right.

We have a saying in Holland: "Eén zwaluw maakt nog geen zomer" One swallow doesn't necessarily mean it's summer already....

It may be a reason for the return of the Pirates, just not a MAJOR one, in my opinion.

:pir-sweet:

If the Pirates are continuing in 2010, why no news or pics when every other theme has been identifeld and named? We seen the list/pics for Toy Story, Prince of Persia, Atlantis, SW, City, etc but not a single thing for Pirates.

Its a pity if pirates was a 1 time release. It has so much potential. Maybe it wasnt selling well?

We have a saying in Holland: "Eén zwaluw maakt nog geen zomer" One swallow doesn't necessarily mean it's summer already....

We have that in Italy too!

Back on topic:

1) So far we only know what set will come out in the first half of 2010, so there's no reason why Pirates shouldn't come out in the second half. As I already said on the big Castle topic, Castle 2008 come out in the second half too.

2) This theme seems to be good-selling and a bit AFOL oriented, and there's even fewer Castle self-competition since only 3 sets came out in 2009.

3) Basically, it would be another STUPID choice for Lego to already cut the Pirates line.

But that's all imho.

Most likely means Lego dropped the quality control ball.

I don't really think this signifies much.

I don't mean to be negative, but these don't seem like compelling reasons to me. I think these reasons are more persuasive:

With the exception of some licensed sets like Avatar, Lego have never introduced a line only to have it run for one year before. I think the minimum run is two years, and even that's pretty rare. Three or more seems to be the norm.

Also, I doubt they'd be producing lots of Pirates merchandise if they didn't intend to continue the line.

Also, the company is soliciting ideas for new pirate sets and pieces.

The only thing that indicates to me that the line might be discontinued is that the Pirates advent calendar didn't have any new minifigs like the Castle one did... but it looks like they blew their entire budget for new minifigs on the 2010 Disney sets.

Also, I doubt they'd be producing lots of Pirates merchandise if they didn't intend to continue the line.

The second one of these seems to be the most compelling reason why pirates will continue into 2010 (and beyond hopefully). That TLG is only now soliciting ideas for future pirates sets also suggests that they will not likely come out in January 2010 just yet, because the lead-time would be rather too short.

I agree that the two points mentioned in the first post don't really point to anything. Armada helmets have been around a bit longer already again (right?) and that unprinted shako could be a cost-benefit trade-off just for the calendar. I'd expect - for example - blue coat shakos to also be printed.

the saw shark mold, is good enought reason for me and also the pirate chess and TTT. pirates is selling well that or stores are takeing the sets of there shelfs them selves to be able to use up their "product is out of stock" signs.

Edited by muffinman42

With the exception of some licensed sets like Avatar, Lego have never introduced a line only to have it run for one year before. I think the minimum run is two years, and even that's pretty rare. Three or more seems to be the norm.

Aqua Raiders was an exception, or maybe just a splash-theme until they came up with something else.

That's one really interesting point. I don't think they are going to fool us.

And I suggest everyone to read this interview, one of the last paragraphs tells about the times of designing and releasing. In August 2007 they already had everything set up for the 2008 Castle line, so if there are going to be 2010 Pirates sets (and I believe they are), they have already been designed and TLC is gathering ideas for 2011.

I firmly believe that we will get sets in the Summer of 2010. TLG is most likely just holding them off until then as there are so many other themes coming out in January. Hopefully this means that we will get a big wave next Summer. :pir-classic:

I kind of have a gut feeling that we'll get something cool in January though...

If seeing the pass and comparing the sets, there is one set missing in the 2009 theme, and probably release in 2010 -- an imperial ship!

However, other than that, seems no other left and can be released. The 2009 theme already has a biggest pirate ship, a soldier fort, a pirate land base, plus some smaller sets just like what they designed every generation before.....unless, they start a sub theme just like "islanders".

Or, unfortunately, if they dont release pirate anymore. It's also usual, just like how their designs quality drop in recent year. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Be honest, I havent bought or had interest in LEGO's sets for many years, neither castle theme which I also liked before, nor the other new release theme.

I havent bought any 2009 pirate sets too, but I have just bought some minifigs. Really, the only things that 2009 LEGO pirates better than before and worth to buy, is the printed torso and heads. :pir-classic:

Ah,, the only recent sets/theme that are able to attract me are their modular house set. However, they were designed by LEGO fans but not the designer......so.......sigh. :pir-hmpf_bad:

No, there've been plenty of one-year lines: Dino Attack, Aqua Raiders, most likely Power Miners [and Atlantis after that, it seems to be the trend with Lego's action themes]. I'm surprised that Pirates won't be returning, though.

I kind of have a gut feeling that we'll get something cool in January though...

I guess we can't trust Erdy's gut feelings anymore :pir_laugh2:

And that, my friend is truly a travesty. :pir_laugh2:

Well, we don't know for sure that there are no more sets coming, you never know!

Besides a particular Indiana Jones set, which other sets have they been appearing in?

This thread makes me sad, we all had such high hopes, i feel like someones that has just been hanged...its not the waiting its the sudden unexpected drop that kills ya.

Well, we don't know for sure that there are no more sets coming, you never know!

Quoted from the annoncement topic:

This means there's not a new line designed for LEGO Pirates for 2010.

I think that settles it :pir-sceptic:

Our LEGO ambassader actually confirmed that we are not getting anymore. :pir-cry_sad:

Edited by Big Cam

Our LEGO ambassader actually confirmed that we are not getting anymore. :pir-cry_sad:
Yep, from Steve W:
I do want to let you know though that pirates wasn't designed to be an ongoing theme this time around. Its only going to be on the shelves until second half next year and then it will be done so there's not a new line designed for pirates for 2010.
Sorry, but that´s the info for now :pir-look: . So go out there and buy what you need for the next couple of years!

I still think we'll get a sort of "final sha-bang" in January. :pir-classic:

As you keep repeating this: Do you know something we don't? In this case I sure hope you do (*cough* s@h exclusive *cough*).

And... aren't you supposed to have a piratey avatar as a pirate regulator? :pir_laugh2: