I called MrTOYs and found out only their large stores are getting 5 each of 8043, and you can't pre order. So rather than miss out on one I ordered one from Bricklink store BRICKSHOP Holland, $255 including shipping & insurance to Brisbane, should arrive soon and I saved nearly $100 on retail.

Mobile Crane 8053 AUD $179.99

Motorized Excavator 8043 AUD $349.99

:sceptic:

It's local or nothing for me at those prices. I got the Crane Truck for $200 rather than $299.99; hopefully I can get the excavator for $250.

(The punctuation for the crane is rather funny; "Crane and cockpit spin 360?" :wacko: )

I downloaded the instructions to the Excavator today and I love this picture;

:tongue:

I guess it is not a sandbox toy. There are Tonka toys for that purpose. :classic:

Attention US & Canadian AFOLs: Shop.Lego.com FINALLY is selling the 8043 Motorized Excavator (plus all of the other large 2H2010 sets)!

US Customers: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8043&cn=57&d=70 . Price is US$199.99 (the same price as Toys R Us).

Canadian Customers: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8043&cn=57&d=70 . Price is CAD $249.99.

LIMIT FIVE PER CUSTOMER. Now is your chance -- don't delay because they're going to sell out! :oh3:

8043-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Yesterday i got the first of 2 copies of the 8051.

Built the a-model immediately.

8051smallcollage.jpg

Great built! (It's an easy one but no less fun!)

Great looks!(Highly "Swooshable"! and full of greebles and other trinkets.)

The new rims are great, but i would have liked it if the rear wheel had a slightly wider tyre. (like the one in 8420)

A fun detail is the Easter Egg on the speedometer. :tongue:

Can't wait for te second copy to arrive and have a go with the b-model!

I built mine (finally) this evening, its a cool model. What is the easter egg? The model name as the mileage? There is another number too, does that mean anything?

Here a small collage i made on the 8051 B-model.

Again it is a cool looking model. I build it without the stickers and the use of a non-printed "fueltank-bubble-thingy", which gives the model a MOC-look.

8051b.jpg

The frame itself maybe a little flimsy, but i am so impressed with the look of the "harley-style" engine and the two-way belt-drive!

@ Tomacwhite:

don't really know what the second series of numbers means. Maybe it's an date important to the designer...

Edited by JunkstyleGio

yeah - this sunday Bilka (Danish mall) has 40 percent off ALL lego, so i'm heading for the 8043 (the moneys are a bit low, so that will be my only by this time :()

it will cost €115,55 - normal price in Bilka is €193,12

i cant wait till sunday :D

You better go there now and camp in front of the toystore.....

well, i went there half an hour before the mall opened, and got almost in front of the queue-line :)

as soon as the door opened, i ran to the lego-section and got 8 boxes of duplo for my son, and the 8043 for my self :)

now i just need to find the time to put i together...

well, i went there half an hour before the mall opened, and got almost in front of the queue-line :)

as soon as the door opened, i ran to the lego-section and got 8 boxes of duplo for my son, and the 8043 for my self :)

now i just need to find the time to put i together...

I just had a similar experience at the Hillsdale Mall Lego store. Picked up an 8043 for $179.99 (+ tax). It was mispriced, showed up in their system as 199.99, but of course they honoured the ticket price. There may be one or two more left there.

Tonight i've been working in the 8051.

In reviews on other forums and so, there was mention of chain-skipping.

So i replaced the new chains by the old version.

technic_chain_old_new.jpg

The new chain have less space between the parts. (See grey arrows)

With the old parts it works like a charm! :thumbup:

One more tip!

On the B-model front "drive-belt" you should keep the open side of the chain on the outside!

chain_do_do_not.jpg

Strange that a update on a part became a downgrade.... :thumbdown:

Edited by JunkstyleGio

It looks like 8043 Motorized Excavator has been pulled from sale on the Lego site in all countries.

exciting - cant wait to see what they come out with (if it returns :cry_sad:)

I've encountered the same skipping/binding problem with the chains on my 8051 also. The new link is fatter all the way around than the older link used for other motorcycles. As such, it tends to hang-up on the edge of the gear. Also, at least on my set, the new links seemed to be a bit un-finished. Each link still had small bits of sprue or residue from the mold hanging off. I found that if you assemble the entire chain, then run the length of it with a very fine grit sandpaper, you can knock off most of the excess plastic sprue, and increase the performance noticeably. However, switching to the older style links makes all the problems go away. Hopefully, TLC will switch back to the old style links...

The fun part of LEGO is that there are always ways to work around a problem.

But if you have to sand off the ABS-residue....... :thumbdown:

It's sad to see/hear/read that new (updated) parts are of lower quality!

Anybody got news for 1h2011 sets? Rumours or facts?

I was checking out TBs archive and the first rumours concerning 1h2010; the set numbers and names came out August 15th 2009.

Just wondering if anyone had news.

Waiting for that as well. Maybe TLC have decided to keep the cards close to their chest this year...

In addition to many complaints/remarks i posted here on various 2h2010 sets:

Yesterday i had a half-hour telephone call with a nice lady of LEGO-direct/Customer Service. It was a very friendly discussion about the 8051 Motorbike (and its redesigned link-chains), the 8052 container Truck (and my complaint about the missing of the clutch-gear), the 8043 (and all its flaws) and about AFOL’s in general.

A small summary:

1) I could keep the “old” LA which i received a week ago. This was sent to me because TLC was under the impression that my complaint about it and the 8043 was “a single issue” and they weren’t aware about the massive amount of complaints they were getting about this model.

2) I’m registered for the “8043 fix-and upgrade-set” which TLC is shipping out at the end of October. What this set is all about couldn’t be answered. They “can and will not talk about that yet, but new parts (!!!) are in development."

3) For easing the pain of waiting so long for the “fix” they gave me € 15 S@H store-credit.

4) In answer to my complaint about the newly designed chain link in the 8051 Motorbike I’m getting 60 “old” parts to replace (and test) them.

5) The missing of the clutch-gear in the 8052 is due to the fact that “it’s a too expensive part to include in this set.” I kindly declined the offer of receiving such a part to replace the regular gear.

All in all: TLC is kind of shocked about the great amount of complaints about the 8043 and they are working as fast as they can to fix all of our complaints and remarks to improve it.

Massive amounts of kudos to TLC in general for their willingness to listen to their customers and thus acting in a swift and prompt way..

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Thanks for the update, JunkstyleGio.

I'm really excited which replacement parts we will get and when we'll see the first pics of them, maybe with a statement from TLC.

I got the information the Service Packs will be mailed out late Sept./early Oct..

Anyway, I'm pretty sure when they're ready to ship TLC will send them out immediately.

Still no 2011 Technic topic? News should start leaking by now...

Edited by Cwetqo

An update on the skipping chain parts:

Today i got the replacement parts from TLC. But it was quite a disappointment to realize the those parts were not the promised old parts but just an extra batch of new parts...

After testing:

Telecasterman is right! Sanding down the chains works like a charm!

dsc04525.jpg

But then again: parts shouldn't be sanded down to work properly! :thumbdown:

Uff... this weekend I'm going to buy the #8051, but reading these bad news is a bit depressing :sceptic: .

I bought 8051 a week ago and i think this is good model, taken apart already but im very happy :) This set is god IMHO.