Emperor Claudius Rome

Romans or Greeks/Spartans

Romans or Greeks?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Romans or Greeks?

• Romans
    • Greeks/Spartans

Just think of the war machines they built which we could build in Lego - Fantastic !

Or think of the war machines that Archimedes (supposedly) built...

I can just see a small set called "Archimedes' Demise", or something like that: it would have Archimedes with a stick, drawing geometrical figures on sand (a small tan plate), and a Roman soldier with a sword, that's about to kill him! :laugh:

Personally, I think Romans are slightly more versatile in a faction sort of way since you can pitch them against a verry large number of other factions.

From Carthage, to the Egyptians, to the Germanic tribes, to the persian empire, Byzantians vs Western Roman empire.

Ofcourse, you can pitch the Greeks against the Perians and Egyptians as well. And ne could build numerous greek tribes/city state factions and pitch them against each other.

But given the geographic spread of the Romans I would probably prefer them, but only slightly.

Or think of the war machines that Archimedes (supposedly) built...

I can just see a small set called "Archimedes' Demise", or something like that: it would have Archimedes with a stick, drawing geometrical figures on sand (a small tan plate), and a Roman soldier with a sword, that's about to kill him! :laugh:

Archimedes thought of the idea of using mirrors to burn ships! Strength must bow down to knowledge, muhahaha. But whoever says the theme has to be military?

Cultural: An amphitheater with Dionysus and Satyr figures, an oracle with priests and priestesses, a boar and some hunters...

But if we are to pick a fighting theme, why not the Trojan war? You have Greek tiremes, princess sacrifices, the sack of Troy, and the Trojan horse itself.

Edited by dragonboy79

I think mythical creatures would be very nice for kids to play with. I think to them, that's the most important thing.

Personally, I don't mind which one would be produced. But it would be very nice to have one of the two.

I spent most of my time in the pirate forum and I think roman or greek women would be good figureheads since a lot of the figureheads were godesses with roman/greek dresses.

So I think Greek would be the best because of the cool mythical creatures :classic:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Romans would be fantastic!!

Just think, Lego could produce a large scale coliseum to go with the Eiffel Tower & Taj Mahal!

You could have things like chariots (Which have been produced before), centurions, lions, emporers, roman baths, long straight roads ( :tongue: ), roman treasure, Marvin the martian helmets! :laugh:

I voted for Romans, but with the current TLG policy of making everything action-packed, I doubt we'd see a realistic Roman line if they decide to do the theme. There would need to be monsters and historically-inaccurate mobile genocide machines.

Has this idea been squashed now as there have been pictures of the new lego castle/kingdom line knocking about?

Or is there still a possibility of a "historic" line, I mean they ran castle theme along side western theme didn't they.

Has this idea been squashed now as there have been pictures of the new lego castle/kingdom line knocking about?

Or is there still a possibility of a "historic" line, I mean they ran castle theme along side western theme didn't they.

If TLG wanted to make a Roman or Greek based theme, I doubt they would release it alongside the new Castle line (plus, we would have heard about it by now if they were). I believe there is chance we will get Greek or Roman sets, but not this year.

How about those books with some bricks in them, whatever they are called. You could get a classical greek myth (certanly considered good litterature by parents) which are all copyright free. And some bricks and a fig or two to act out the myth after you have read it.

Just imagine Perseus with a mirror (chrome) shield and Medusa. Or a Hercules with a shovel to clean out the Augean stables :laugh:

A lot of people feel different ways about which anceint theme lego should produce. Some people want a Greek/Spartan theme because they want mythical creatures and persians (Persians are not likely do to Iran lashing out on 300 because it inacurately portrays the persians, think of what would happen to lego). Some people want a Romans for the military features (I.e, centurys, bearers, Battering rams, Acurate balista :wub: )

It is unlikely that lego will do such real historic stuff but both sound good- about persians there will be persians soon because there is Prince of Persia lego line :tongue:

The two themes have so much amazing potentialities to build!

For example:

-thermal baths, aqueducts, theatre with actors, triumphal procession with Julius Caesar, Colossus of Rhodes, chariot race with Ben Hur, Spartacus against Crassus, Hannibal and the elephants, Troy with horse, Egyptian pyramids and Cleopatra, Mose, the limes, a roman aristocrat, Gaul Village, Asterix and Obelix (joke), slave market, Alexander against the Persians, beauty ancient houses and gardens, great statuary (for example imperator Nero with harp), catacombs of rome, tent camp, roman shields to form a turtle, geat catapults, priest with temple, gladiator school, gladiators against lions, Forum Romanium, Circus, sailing ships, roman senate, Ramses II temple, Varus against Teutons, Jerusalem, the Three Kings, herders with sheeps, farmers, library with Aristotle, Arabian Nights, bazaar, acropoles, temple of zeus...... and, and, and...

.......this are soooo many different beauty Minifigures! Incredible!

I can`t belive that LEGO have never gave us those amazing Themes!?

So much potentialities for play-sets!

So much potentialities for beauty exclusive-sets (12+)

Those Themes give us never ending ideas!

Elander, thy list hath whetted mine appetite for such sets tenfold . :wub:

If TLG ever does make 'Antiquity' sets I would do my very best to buy all of them, if not multiples thereof. :thumbup:

I voted for Romans, but with the current TLG policy of making everything action-packed, I doubt we'd see a realistic Roman line if they decide to do the theme. There would need to be monsters and historically-inaccurate mobile genocide machines.

There can be Romans vs Carthage, Romans vs Greeks(Well they did fight before the Roman empire was fully formed. Romans vs Italiote Greeks and Romans vs Pyrus of Epirus), Romans vs Barbarians (they already have Barbaric helmets in KK and the Trolls from Fantasy line. Hell Romans fought a lot of people. Greeks too.

I have read through this thread and I think all the ideas are interesting.

Right now, I'm going through my dark ages, but I have maintained an interest in the online community focused around historical LEGOs (including Pirates).

Here's my take:

The Viking stuff failed because the sets were mediocre. The "main fort" thing was cool, but not appealing, it could be easily replicated, and there wasn't much color (lots of brown bricks)

Secondly, adults didn't like it because Viking helmets did not have horns--and the execution of said horns was not appealing to kids either--or kids interested in Vikings who'd know that Vikings didn't have horned helmets.

That said, I believe there was a 2nd variation which was the two eye protected pieces attached to a conical helm--that was cool.

Additionally, the mythological creatures seemed to be the main attraction of having such sets, and if you're like me, you'd like the minifigs, not the fabricated dragon.

I'm a huge fan of Vikings as I am of history, but the LEGO Vikings were sloppily executed.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case of a lot of LEGO Castle sets being put out today. There is no real substance to the sets--which is fine for me because I just order specific minifig parts and lots and lots of bricks off the web.

The whole troll and dwarf theme I find to be pretty lame. The only cool thing is the winged helmets which I like quite a lot.

As far as Greece vs. Rome, well seeing what LEGO does now with the Viking, Castle, and Pirate themes, they're going to make something none of us might like. They might not, but that's my gut feeling.

I know if they do a Rome theme, the legionaries will have that ridiculous "lorica segmentata" that Roman troops are stereotyped as having--in reality more Roman troops wore chain mail than they did the lorica segmentata

I'm afraid if they do a Greek theme, they might have the ridiculous 300 theme with no armor for the Spartans and some tight loin cloth or something. That said, a Greek theme would be more interesting imo, if they did it "right"

A Greek theme has the most color, the most potential for branching into fantasy, and a more varied amount of soldiers (knowing LEGO they're probably going to just have the stereotypical "Legionary" Outfit).

I remember playing the Age of Empires 1 demo back in 1997 and then constructing a Watch Tower out of Wild West lego bricks.

Again, the real question is that if they were to do such a theme, would they do it right, and would they do it justice? Obviously, the fans will generally have the best interpretations of the LEGO theme, but new LEGO parts can't hurt.

And gladiators don't really sell me too much--the real gladiators were nothing like they were in Ridley Scott's film.

Looks like we have a chance of getting Greeks, with that lovely helmet that just appeared for Atlantis :wub:

The helmet is more then lovely! :cry_happy:

I will get it! 8D

The helmet is more then lovely! :cry_happy:

I will get it! 8D

Not to be negative nancy, but none of the headgear or helmets look all that great. Don't want to discourage anyone, but still...I can see it being Hellenistic inspired, but the resemblance ends there.

Not to be negative nancy, but none of the headgear or helmets look all that great. Don't want to discourage anyone, but still...I can see it being Hellenistic inspired, but the resemblance ends there.

It's true. The typical Greek helmet (Corinthian) has a slit running from the nose all the way to the chin. The customised ones (by Brickforge?) are more accurate.

It's true. The typical Greek helmet (Corinthian) has a slit running from the nose all the way to the chin. The customised ones (by Brickforge?) are more accurate.

Yes I agree, although I wish there were more "variety," if that makes sense. There certainly was more variety in the ancient period.

Is the minifig in the collection series a sign? That'd be awesome. :classic:

Is the minifig in the collection series a sign? That'd be awesome. :classic:

More likely the opposite. The collectible minifigures are supposed to be special and not part of any theme. So I guess a Roman/Greek/Ancient theme won't be possible for a couple of more years. :sceptic: