ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

After reading the Pick A Brick strategy topic, and seeing that there is some interest in this topic I thought this would be an interesting study, and one deserving it's own thread. This will be old hat for many of you, but for those of you who are just dumping pieces in a PAB cup, give a listen...

I just got back from the LEGO Store. Here's the cup I packed

pab_filled.jpg

It's not packed as well as usual, you can see alot of spaces that could be filled with 1x1 plates, but I was in a bit of a hurry.

Let's open it up so you can see the tops of the various stacks, and how it all fits together.

pab_open.jpg

And here's the top. I always put something in the lid stud.

pab_top_filled.jpg

Now we dump out the cup. The brick stack in my hand is the middle that I filled this cup around. This cup was a bit more challenging to pack since it wasn't comprised mostly of bricks.

pab_brick.jpg

Taking this brick apart, we see just how much you can cram in a small space. Yep, this is just from the stack that was in my hand in the previous picture!

pab_un_bricked.jpg

Here's the other stacks that were in the cup. I had tiles crammed in between the branches and in every nook.

pab_stacks.jpg

And everything else that was in the cup and not shown in the previous two pictures.

pab_other.jpg

Here's the total of everything that was in the cup

pab_all.jpg

32 2x2 trans windows

60 1x4 grey bricks

2 1x4 black angled plates

1 12x4 black plate

30 2x2 round grey bricks

12 classic yellow flowers

15 flower stems

7 pink flower sprues

18 1x4x6 door frams

12 1x4x6 barred door insets

11 black latice fences

38 1x1 trans cones in various colors

49 1x1 trans light blue round plates

31 Large tree branches

42 small tree branches

146 1x4 reddish brown tiles

506 pieces in total

Not my best performance by a long shot, but not to shabby. Now for the point of this narrative. Now to try and fill the cup as though we were just dropping pieces in at a store. Separating the pieces, putting them in, periodically shaking the cup down hard to make them settle in, I filled the cup just to overflowing and the results are below.

pab_nostack.jpg

It all fits except:

25 big tree branches

42 small tree branches

1 4x10 black plate

11 1x4x6 door frames

32 2x2 trans clear windows

111 pieces that don't fit. Over 20% less. :sad:

I'm sure I could lower that figure a bit by substituting some pieces for others, but I think the result would be close to the same. You can get around 20% more pieces per cup by packing. It probably takes an average of 20 minutes for me to pack a cup. Is it worth it? I've come to enjoy the challenge of packing a cup, but even if I didn't, I'd be willing to spend the time to get what is essentially free LEGO.

The way you pack your PAB cups works great, i read your link a while back and went to the Lego stroe and got more bricks in my cup than i ever have before, thanks you for sharing with us.

I have a question - somewhat unrelated to the packing process...Do you ever get weird looks when you're sitting there doing an "optimal" cup packing?

I have a question - somewhat unrelated to the packing process...Do you ever get weird looks when you're sitting there doing an "optimal" cup packing?

Most parents are interested in the challenge, kids not so much. When it comes to employees I have found that it varies by store. Here in Norther VA the Tyson's store is much more AFOL friendly than the woodbridge store for example.

I get called an "expert" sometimes... but I'm too busy looking at what I'm doing to notice.

Interesting (and great!) replies. I'll probably make a trip to the local store soon. It's about a 40 minute drive or so, so I need to make it worth it! I do have 2 of the holiday boxes already for after Christmas, so I could go and work my way to a third, haha.

If they ever ask you about your LEGO habit, do you divulge anything specific?

I was packing at the Orlando LIC, and had gotten a core and filled the cup halfway when *BAM*! some kid came up, and started taking out what he/she ( I didn't pay attention) didn't want, ruining at least 20 mins. work in a crowded store. After that, I always made sure to enlist the help of someone to watch my cup while packing.

Also, the Orlando store had run out of large cups, so the let you fill two smalls for .50 off the price. After my 2nd packed cup, I just gave up on filling every nook and crannie. Sad but true. :cry_sad:

I was packing at the Orlando LIC, and had gotten a core and filled the cup halfway when *BAM*! some kid came up, and started taking out what he/she ( I didn't pay attention) didn't want, ruining at least 20 mins. work in a crowded store. After that, I always made sure to enlist the help of someone to watch my cup while packing.

Also, the Orlando store had run out of large cups, so the let you fill two smalls for .50 off the price. After my 2nd packed cup, I just gave up on filling every nook and crannie. Sad but true. :cry_sad:

That what tazers are for!

The one time I filled a Pick A Brick bag, I tried to fill it so full, it almost burst. A small gap opened in one of the seems. How I envy you Americans with you sturdy, reusable non-splitting plastic cups - you even get a choice of size!. I wish we had something like that in the UK :tongue:

Edited by Rocketbilly

That what tazers are for!

The one time I filled a Pick A Brick bag, I tried to fill it so full, it almost burst. A small gap opened in one of the seems. How I envy you Americans with you sturdy, reusable non-splitting plastic cups - you even get a choice of size!. I wish we had something like that in the UK :tongue:

We do have.... That must have been LEGOLAND. Brand stores have cups, £11 or £6.

Another example where we get ripped off in the UK.

:cry_sad:

At least you guys have a PAB wall...

Dr Rod

I have a holiday pick a brick box, but no big PAB cups. Can anyone that owns both post a picture with the two side by side? I am curious of the size comparison between the two; which is bigger?

How I envy you Americans with you sturdy, reusable non-splitting plastic cups -

Not necessarily... I've packed cups so full that I cracked the sides and bottoms out of cups before. When the side cracks, it gives just a tiny bit more room for a few more bricks. :laugh:

Not necessarily... I've packed cups so full that I cracked the sides and bottoms out of cups before. When the side cracks, it gives just a tiny bit more room for a few more bricks. :laugh:

Oh, I thought that was an excuse for some side-splitting laughter. Ha ha, more brick!

I have a holiday pick a brick box, but no big PAB cups. Can anyone that owns both post a picture with the two side by side? I am curious of the size comparison between the two; which is bigger?

I'm trying to post a picture with the comparison, but I don't have enough posts to link it! :(

It's 11x11 studs and 9 bricks high. The effective "fillable space" is about half the size of a large PAB cup. If you can find my Flickr page, the picture is in there.

the wall in London Westfield is....only fill with bricks....and I mean bricks.."not even 1x4, small base plate.....=[

Have some studs, mail box,and the pin thing which can hang a flag or sth which clips on.

No trans part.....=_=

what should I get.....or goto another better wall?

Edited by clcwong

I'm visiting my brother and his wife in Charlotte North Carolina and we're going to the lego store in Concord on Saturday. Can someone let me know what the prices are for cups at the store or at least what the prices are in the US in general? I'm from Toronto and our prices are always a bit higher.

what should I get.....or goto another better wall?

You might find this really useful: BrickBuildr PAB. It's a community-updated listing of what's in the PAB walls of various stores so you can get an idea of what other stores might have in their walls. Obviously because it's up to fans to update it, the information may be outdated or incorrect, but it's better than nothing.

does the pick a brick wall at the lego stores have green plates and trees. if so, what is the size of the green plates and the trees. trying to finish my large lego world i have made (also need 19 blue base plates to finish it off). will have pictures once i am done.

note: mods, if need be add to the right topic. i am new here and i didn't find any topic about what i have wrote about.

Pick-a-brick walls tend to vary store to store, the one in my town isn't that great to be honest. As you are a new member you may not have heard of Bricklink.com That is a far better place to buy specific lego bricks and will have any part you can think off listed in stores all over the world!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search :wink:

does anyone here live in the dc area then and could tell me about the lego store in tyson corner and if it has what i am looking for.

ps i have heard of bricklink but i like to see the set before i buy it.

edit, my lego world would be 7 of the 32X32 base plates long and the same wide once i am done.

Edited by goalieboy82

does anyone here live in the dc area then and could tell me about the lego store in tyson corner and if it has what i am looking for.

edit, my lego world would be 7 of the 32X32 base plates long and the same wide once i am done.

Welcome to EB 'goalieboy82'!

Now about your question, I don't live in DC, but 32x32 plates have never been on pick-a-brick walls before. you must buy them separately. They are too big. trust me, you'll be able to get them much cheaper on Bricklink than at a lego store.

Welcome to EB 'goalieboy82'!

Now about your question, I don't live in DC, but 32x32 plates have never been on pick-a-brick walls before. you must buy them separately. They are too big. trust me, you'll be able to get them much cheaper on Bricklink than at a lego store.

i know they have 32X32 blue base plates for sell there ($4.99 i think). i need the following:

any size green plates (non baseplates) and trees.

just would like to know what they normally have on the pick a brick wall (will be going to the lego store once i have the money). i dont like paying taxes for shipping (and i also know they have a pick a brick on the shop lego site).

the plates i am talking about is this:

Element ID: 4116671

and this:

Element ID: 347028

this is what i have so far:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/goalieboy82/175241.jpg

I have seen tree parts there in the past (like a year ago) but don't know what they currently stock. They change the selection every few months. If you want something specific, the best thing is to just call them and ask.

I have seen tree parts there in the past (like a year ago) but don't know what they currently stock. They change the selection every few months. If you want something specific, the best thing is to just call them and ask.

I've seen foliage from time to time but as others have said, it's not a perennial item in stock like the 2 x 4 bricks are.

I'd suggest taking a look @ http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/ and then click at t6he sub link for the store closest to you. It's only as accurate as the folks updating it care to be, as well as how recently it's been updated.

I have seen plants and green bricks but never any green plates (My local shop has tan plates though, yummy).

does the pick a brick wall at the lego stores have green plates and trees. if so, what is the size of the green plates and the trees. trying to finish my large lego world i have made (also need 19 blue base plates to finish it off). will have pictures once i am done.

note: mods, if need be add to the right topic. i am new here and i didn't find any topic about what i have wrote about.

The Tyson's store is the best be in the DC area, as the Woodbridge store is larger, but the pab selection sucks down there. Ask for Gene @ Tyson's, he will hook you up with the goods!