I try not to sort my broken down sets into a collection because it makes it a little more difficult if I intend on re-building it later on.

If I am planning to display the set again at some future time I either, disassemble and keep the parts together or I just do not disassemble at all (I find a way to store it assembled). Usually when I disassemble I have no plans to reassemble that set/MOC, so the prts go in my inventory/collection.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

If I am planning to display the set again at some future time I either, disassemble and keep the parts together or I just do not disassemble at all (I find a way to store it assembled). Usually when I disassemble I have no plans to reassemble that set/MOC, so the prts go in my inventory/collection.

Andy D

Andy D

I am too afraid of storing assembled sets just for the fact that a few pieces could get loose and I wont be able to find it. If you store yours assembles what do you use for the storage?

I am too afraid of storing assembled sets just for the fact that a few pieces could get loose and I wont be able to find it. If you store yours assembles what do you use for the storage?

When I store assembled sts it is usually on a shelf in the closet, not close to anything else so nothing touches it and parts don't fall off or I stor them in boxes (plastic bins) either alone or bagged or wrapped so parts do not get misplaced. I haven't had problems yet (knock on wood).

Andy D

Andy D

Right now I am building and working with Lego like a refugee. I haven't had dedicated lego space for almost 7 years (Thanks Army!) but am now settling down in a more permanent state.

My partner doesn't like the clutter of having lego all spread out over the place, but my favorite environment to build in is a sprawling pile of non-sorted elements. I like to wallow in the bricks like a pig, building intuitively, letting what's in-hand decide what elements to look for next. Also, not having my pieces sorted forces me to use what I can find nearby, not look for super-specific pieces that may or may not exist in my collection (or in the part of my collection I have access to).

Right now I keep all my bricks in large plastic bins. They are transparent, but it doesn't matter because inside each bin is a sheet. I get fitted queen size sheets (the ones with the elastic along the edges) at the thrift store. Whenever I want to build I pick a bin, drop the sheet out onto the floor, and then when the session is done, I snap it up and back in the bin it goes.

I feel like the illegal street vendors selling knock-off purses sometimes - when the law comes in, I snap up the sheet and slide the bin back under the cabinet and no one would ever know I was there...

When I store assembled sts it is usually on a shelf in the closet, not close to anything else so nothing touches it and parts don't fall off or I stor them in boxes (plastic bins) either alone or bagged or wrapped so parts do not get misplaced. I haven't had problems yet (knock on wood).

Andy D

Andy D

When you say that you place them in plastic bins wrapped, how do you do that without breaking off pieces from the assembled set?

Edited by kermit

When you say that you place them in plastic bins wrapped, how do you do that without breaking off pieces from the assembled set?

Some of the pieces may come loose, but they are contained so I know what belongs to what for ease of reassembly. Not a problem for me.

Andy D

Another classy storage/sorting system is using an old printing cabinet, the one for storing fonts: http://www.certiferm...-3529643327.jpg

The neighbour of my parent bought one some time ago, having Lego sorting in mind, but never actually used it. If I had space for it, I would have bought it... but unfortunately such space is a luxury I can't afford in my apartment.

It is fine for storing small parts like small plates or 1x1 bricks, but not really suited for larger parts I think.

Brilliant! I love the looks of those.

My new Lego-storage in the updated Lego-room

I'm combining storage with a surface to build on.

It will fit most of my building pieces. Bricks and plates will be stored separately, there are too many of them.

It's made from fibre-board, the same kind as Ikea uses but without the outer coat. I will paint it later. Inspiration comes from Ikea Trofast.

I let the hardware store cut the fibreboard to the exact size and put it together myself at home.

I got some left-overs of the fibreboard, I cut them to thin stripes and let the storage containers glide on them instead of buying special ones.

The table-top is an Ikea work-top.

Fibre-board ≈ 30€

Cutting ≈ 10€

Work-top ≈ 45€

Screws ≈ 3€

Cross-brace ≈ 2€

Total ≈ 90€

Storage-containers 0-5 € each depending on size and brand. I'm also using plastic trays that used to contain candy. I get them for free from the local shop.

Above there is a small shelf. It's supposed to house pictures but I'm using it for minifigs. The depth is 8 studs. I'm using the collectible minifig stand so I can only have two rows of minifigs. Maybe change that in the future to be able to have three rows.

And a couple of small Lego inspired containers.

The room itself is about 3 x 4 meters.

arbetssyta.JPG

forvaring.JPG

heads.jpg

oordning.JPG

visaupp.JPG

rummet.JPG

Edited by shiftaltcmd

I am in the process of sorting all of my bricks....I have already sortrd by color and I am moving on to type/style. Is there any place to find pictures of the bricks like 1x1 plates...etc....on the web to print out...

Edited by Deathwing

I have an old file cabinet. I just dump extra pieces into the cabinet. No organization, no system.....no problem! Maybe this is a result of formerly being employed by a government agency. :-)

Thousands and thousands of bricks, just crying out for organization.

I'm in doubt and I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice:

I have a bunch of storage drawers for my LEGO. I've seen more people here that have the same drawers as I have. You can see a picture of them (I have 2 versions of the boxes) here.

My doubt is: shall I make labels?

The drawers have a small space where one can put labels. I've been designing and measuring a bit and I made some prototypes. You can see the one for the big drawers (dark gray ones) here and the small drawers (transparant ones) here. Note that the images aren't the correct ones. The labels should be folded btw, top rectangle to bottom and bottom rectangle to top, to make them a little sturdier. The labels have 4 squares to show the color(s) and a name/number and a small image. If a drawer contains 2 parts, the image will be deleted and only the color and name/number are left (2 times). If a drawer has 3 parts, only name+number will be left.

Anyway, hope that's a bit understandable :grin:

But, don't mind my designs or anything like that, my main concern is: should I invest all the time constructing the labels, or shall I just go on without them?

(snip...)

But, don't mind my designs or anything like that, my main concern is: should I invest all the time constructing the labels, or shall I just go on without them?

Personally, I don't bother to label every bin, bag, and box. I tried it once thinking it would make me nice and organized; that was when I first started to realize the breadth and depth of my collection. It dawned on me that having four thousand plus labels staring back at me wasn't actually making me any more organized, it would just be pretty, well-branded clutter.

That said, I _do_ find it helpful to have "Macro-level" labeling, such as "Black Std Plates 1-12 " on a storage box that, well, holds in sorted bins black rectangular plates with up to 12 studs - pieces ranging from 1x1s to 2x6s to 1x12s, etc. This allows me to quickly distinguish it from, say, "Black Mod Plates 1-16" which holds similarly sized rounds and angle plates. Due to the frosted nature of the plastic on the lids of the boxes, without the labels I'd need to open up the case to know which box holds which.

Once I have the (proper) box open in front of me the labels become something of a moot point as I can see the actual contents of all twenty or so bins at once - so why label something if you already know what it is?

I know some people who claim that exhaustive labeling helps them to know when they are getting low of a particular part and to have its proper part number for buying more at S@H PaB and/or Bricklink. I'll agree that knowing the part numbers can be helpful, I'm not convinced that the time it would take to inventory and research my entire collection would ever amount to a net savings of time and energy over just looking things up and browsing through search results when I need a specific part.

Anyway, that's my take on it - your mileage may vary.

....should I invest all the time constructing the labels, or shall I just go on without them?

No, I think the best quality a storage system can have is flexibility - as the inventory changes (as you build and take apart MOCs and as BL orders come in) you may need to switch out smaller containers for larger ones and vice versa. I change mine fairly frequently, but I keep them in the same position around my desk so that I know where the Plates are and where the Tiles are. I might forget what they're actually stored in but I know they're at.

I have been considering a form of labeling. My main storage is parts in freezer bags in 15 quart plastic bins in a closed cabinet. I am trying to keep the same color bricks in each bin. My thought is an 8.5 x 11 sheet in each bin with the contents of the bin, that way I would have a typed representation of what is in the bin. I am still sorting, have not yet got to th labeling.

I am also trying to keep an inventory of parts and sets on Basebrick to help me to know what I have. I am going to use two Akron Mills storage sets wtih drawers to keep small pieces. My time in my studio is divided between building and sorting/storing. I hope I have a system reasonably complete and in place before the end of the year.

I want to make next year the year of building!

Andy D

No, I think the best quality a storage system can have is flexibility - as the inventory changes (as you build and take apart MOCs and as BL orders come in) you may need to switch out smaller containers for larger ones and vice versa. I change mine fairly frequently, but I keep them in the same position around my desk so that I know where the Plates are and where the Tiles are. I might forget what they're actually stored in but I know they're at.

This is one of the better ideas I have seen, knowing where parts are located is the key to building.

Andy D

I have three enormous plastic boxes filled to the brim with them. I do enjoy Lego, but for me it's just another toy in the closet. I'm no Lego artist, far too expensive for me. If I could afford to have millions of pieces they would be sorted very carefully by number. I do like organizing things.

most of the LEGO sets I have are completely dismantled and in tubs all around the house. I probably would have no chance of re building them as the majority of the pieces are missing. The only sets I would have a chance of rebuilding are my Tiny Turbos, they're in a huge pile in the corner of my room :)

Although I plan to take more care of any sets I happen to pick up soon.

Edited by RelicRaider

My current system is just a cheap one. Why... spending on storage means less to spend on LEGO! Ha.

Anyway, I currently use the Sterlite 6 Qt shoe boxes with zip-lock bags inside approach. These bins are usually only $1.25 each USD here in the states a piece. You can stack them quite high and then you can sort by what ever approach you use in the bags.

Not perfect though. I see the appeal of pull out drawers!

I always liked the idea of drawers and if I can find clear drawers that are capable of being pulled out, I may bite. But for now I think I like the lidded/open topped containers for the majority. I never once considered labels. If I can't find something, then I'll keep looking.

I have come to a conclusion. LEGO as a hobby is more about sorting and organizing and finding storage solutuions than building. I need to get this sort, store, organize project done so I can spend more time building. I just spent the better part of 4 hours disassembling sets, gathering parts from sets I previously disassembled and pre-sorting into small tubs so I can do a fine sort, another several hours. But, it does help me to refresh my memory a to what I have in terms of quantity and color of standard bricks and plates and special pieces.

So maybe sorting and storing is just as creative as building ;) ;)

Well back to it.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

(snip)

Well back to it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the only reason Sisyphus got off with _only_ having to roll a boulder up a hill for all eternity is because Lego hadn't been invented yet. If he were sent to Lego-hell, he'd be sorting and organizing instead - talk about a thankless job that's never done....

Oh I don't know, I quite like the sorting aspect of the hobby; I find it quite calming, and it also appeals to the more OCDish side of me...