KimT

Chrome Darth Vader

Its kind of fun to speculate and try to come up with how he did it... If in fact he did it at all...

I tried that today with about 15 BPs, but the all weighed the same :sadnew:

But that only works if you know there is a Vader inside. If there isn't then all the boxes should weigh the same...

Steve

Its kind of fun to speculate and try to come up with how he did it... If in fact he did it at all...

Steve

That's the odd thing, a few times he said he doesn't have a method, and a few times he did. :wacko: He must have had some way of knowing though, seeing as he made a video. :tongue:

I tried that today with about 15 BPs, but the all weighed the same :sadnew:

Either none of them had chrome vaders, or they all did! You just lost out on 15 Chrome Vaders!!!! :tongue:

How much does one of these fetch on bricklink? Is it really worth all the effort? Why not just varnish a regular Vader and pretend :wink:

Laurie

Edit: I'm not suggesting anyone sell fake vaders, i'mjust saying you could pretend for your own amusement :sweet:

Edited by SeaKing61

Either none of them had chrome vaders, or they all did! You just lost out on 15 Chrome Vaders!!!! :tongue:

How much does one of these fetch on bricklink? Is it really worth all the effort? Why not just varnish a regular Vader and pretend :wink:

Laurie

Edit: I'm not suggesting anyone sell fake vaders, i'mjust saying you could pretend for your own amusement :sweet:

Between $75-$130 USD :wink:

At some point I'll merge this into the topic on the Chrome Vader minifig, so don't be alarmed when it "disappears" :laugh:

At some point I'll merge this into the topic on the Chrome Vader minifig, so don't be alarmed when it "disappears" :laugh:

I will throw my hat into the fray. I can say without a doubt that you could weigh the boxes to find a Vader. He has to add weight to the set. It just makes sense. All you would need is a digital postage scale. The box that weighs more has the Vader inside. Pretty simple really. :classic:

I will throw my hat into the fray. I can say without a doubt that you could weigh the boxes to find a Vader. He has to add weight to the set. It just makes sense. All you would need is a digital postage scale. The box that weighs more has the Vader inside. Pretty simple really. :classic:

I too think that's likely. But it would be a lot of work. You couldn't check in the store, I don't think the owner or any of the staff would care for that. :wink: So you would have to buy a couple from a lot of stores, then weigh them and if it's not a winner then return them. Its not so much a method as hoping to get one that weighs more than the rest. :grin:

If I were him I would feel terrible that quite a few people think he is lying, and announce the method used. Otherwise there's really no point in showing it off...

But, I have nothing against him, we probably just have different opinions on the matter. :classic:

And I wouldn't think that he would go through all the trouble just to show off. I would feel pretty bad about lying, especially for something so small, but I'm just making an inference based on past experiences with the Internet. :classic:

Perhaps before hand, you could weigh a normal Vader figure (With cape and lightsaber) and a polybag , and see if there is a difference of that weight between sets... :wink:

But even a really advanced scale would have trouble differentiating the <1 ounce weight.

First of all I would just guess he got confirmation that it was in there from some one else, maybe a store owner knew he was getting one or something?

No, I don't think so. Many Lego employees don't know where to find chrome Vaders, so I would doubt that store employees would. :wink:

Maybe he bought a load of BPs and filmed himself opening each one by one until he found one with the Vader in it!

To me, the video sounded pretty well-rehearsed, so I think we can rules out that this happened by luck. I know that if I received a chrome Vader, I'd be too busy picking my jaw up off the floor to make a video of it. :wink:

Wait a minute! Does that actually work? :oh: If so, that would be the first actually affective way of checking for the Chrome Vader since it would be easy to bring a powerful magnet into a store and check if there is resistance if you hold it up to box!

Can anyone confirm if these Vaders respond to magnets at all?

Shouldn't you know that Lego is made of plastic by now? :grin: Although, if those five gold plated 3PO's were ever placed in sets, a metal detector might work...

What you need is someone on the inside who can tell you that he want some money in exchange for a box with the Chrome Vader. Somewhere between the factory and the store there has to be people that knows how to find the Vader boxes.

Two main reasons for this theory is..

An easy method for finding rare figures in your local store IS to good to be true!

Getting the unopened sure-to-find-a-Vader-box in this dirty way would be the only reason to do the box opening video stunt really.

..so there you have it. Nothing is easy and the world is ugly.

After reading some of the "brilliant" posts here, and I really hope you guys are joking on a lot of these...I figured I would chime in real quick.

In the U.S., if you enter a store and take a knife out to cut into a box, that constitutes vandalism, and the knife can be considered a tool used for shoplifting. Don't expect to EVER re-enter that store.

And you are correct in that no one is going to allow you to enter a store and weigh all of the individual boxes.

You can't really complain about a manager throwing you out or bad customer service. You're trying to exploit a promotion, and I think that store could live without your business if this is how you choose to act.

And the Vaders are inserted at RANDOM!!!!!!!!!! Which means there is no rhyme or reason to it!

"A shopkeeper"

And the Vaders are inserted at RANDOM!!!!!!!!!! Which means there is no rhyme or reason to it!

I think TLC said that there are ''random'' in the sets.

But it's still easier to have a little cadence, of course a secret cadence.... :laugh:

So it's although very hard to find them!

'Bricks'

Edited by Bricks

weight the box, high tech devices, buying and returning sets. the best way to get the chrome Vader is to tell your boss that you want to stay behind for over time or work an extra day or take over someone else shift for one day. That way you can be sure that you will be able to purchase the Vader. $80 is just a half day of work guys.

What you need is someone on the inside who can tell you that he want some money in exchange for a box with the Chrome Vader.

Oh, so what? We buy our Lego in the store parking lot now? And Wal*Mart has secret agents somehow listening to your bribes through cinderblock walls?

:hmpf_bad:

:laugh:

I've merged the topics on Chrome Darth Vader into this topic.

Now all can be found here (if you read the topic).

On bricklink it says that the chrome vader weights 3.9 grams. I dont know if that would really help you searching for one though..

Ok I did some reading up on the whole Chrome Vader thing and I have a few questions as I have gotten a lot of conflicting answers

The Chrome Vader's are randomly placed in Lego Star Wars sets, most sources say not in Battle packs but a lot of people say that's where they got them. Right now that seems to be a mystery so I'm going to let it go.

I have also read some things that they aren't in store exclusives (i.e The twilight, Ahsoka's Starfighter, the upcoming Dropship and AT-OT) is this true?

Are they only in January 09 Clone Wars sets or all Clone Wars sets?

I'd like to snag one of these guys, but I don't really want to turn my whole world upside down to do it, so if someone could answer me that would be great, thanks!

Are they only in January 09 Clone Wars sets or all Clone Wars sets?

I think that they're in all the Star Wars sets for 2009 (except maybe for BPs and exclusives like you said).

I think that they're in all the Star Wars sets for 2009 (except maybe for BPs and exclusives like you said).

That would be nice, even exclusives? I don't really buy multiples of sets so hopefully I'll come across one soon, the only 09 upcoming set I reall plan on buying is the dropship and AT-OT, who knows if there are any in there maybe I'll get lucky.

WOAH!!! I'll be so lucky if I get that in my annual lego set. I like the C-3P0 better though, because it's more realistic. This is such a fingerprint magnet, like my sansa e260

Anyone know if this can come in the solar sailer?

It's possible that you can find them in every set (except the Battlpacks...).

So in the ''spring-'' and ''summersets''!

'Bricks'

why do people keep on posting that chrome vader CANT be found in a battlepack!? it has been confirmed time and time again that they are in the battlepacks... theres even video evidence linked IN THIS THREAD! one of my co-workers was lucky enough to get one, and it was in the clone trooper battlepack...