Oky

Star Wars

It makes me beyond happy that Han is going to enlist in the Imperial Academy like in the old books. 

I hope they keep his first meeting with Chewbacca the same as well since it's fairly compelling, however if they change it i'll be okay.

I don't think it's going to be so bad afterall.

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

Wicked smart, bro. If you can keep it between you and me, I know someone who'll sell much cheaper LEGO from China

Heck, you can even get LEGO for free (if you got a get-out-of-jail-card that is) :

https://wtop.com/stafford-county/2018/02/stafford-co-man-arrested-1-8k-lego-scam/

Haha, funny.  I was really just talking about the negativity towards Star Wars that I have felt since watching The Last Jedi.  Great buildup, great trailers, great promotions, totally unsatisfying movie.  So I will not be spending money on tickets to further Star Wars films (not that they will miss my $10 among the billions they'll make).  They've fooled me once, as it were.

If they play this out like a Ocean's eleven with Han's origin story thrown in there it might be a fun watch. 

Completly unecessary but if it's fun why not. 

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

The shorter trailer was surprisingly more satisfying. 

Same here, for some reason. The "monorail" in that teaser was also quite intriguing. 

The short teaser actually got my hopes up.  Then the full length trailer brought them back down to reality.

Maybe Maisie Williams can be in Episode IX?

3 hours ago, Schneeds said:

The short teaser actually got my hopes up.  Then the full length trailer brought them back down to reality.

Maybe Maisie Williams can be in Episode IX?

I felt the same way. The teaser spot did a better job of hooking me along. This longer version one has basically explained the entire movie in a sense. Now the question is: to watch it to see the details between point A and B? Or wait for it till goes on rent and get the scoop then? Hmmm? Or just skip it outright? 

OK, saw the new trailer.  It still looks good, but I also learned from The Last Jedi not to trust the trailer.  Still, despite my misgivings with what I saw here I will still probably enjoy it when I eventually see it.

20 hours ago, x105Black said:

Haha, funny.  I was really just talking about the negativity towards Star Wars that I have felt since watching The Last Jedi.  Great buildup, great trailers, great promotions, totally unsatisfying movie.  So I will not be spending money on tickets to further Star Wars films (not that they will miss my $10 among the billions they'll make).  They've fooled me once, as it were.

Yeah, it was the biggest meh experience I've ever had in a cinema and the only SW movie I've only seen once. Not sure what to think about this one though .. I love the SW universe but I'm pretty tired of the OT characters. R! was really great though ('cept the last scenes with Vader)

That could be cool.  Is Martin going to give them story treatments?  Unlikely, but maybe they can do well without him.  Then again, I doubt it will have the adult appeal of Game of Thrones...

Edited by x105Black

Well, that Solo trailer was about as underwhelming as expected. The only things I liked are Glover as Lando and that shot of the ISD in the cloud, but that's about it. What's up with all the random tentacle monsters in Star Wars lately? :wacko: Was that one of the purrgil from Star Wars Rebels? This might just be the first Star Wars movie I won't see in theaters.

On a brighter note, I finally got to experience Secrets of the Empire for my birthday yesterday and it was AWESOME! It's fairly short (it's 30 mins, but half of that time is spent briefing you on the mission, putting on the gear, etc.) and once the secret is revealed, it is not really explained what the significance of it is, but the level of immersion was amazing and it's just super fun to become rebels in stormtrooper armor and blast stormtroopers with your own squad like a real life SW Battlefront! If you ever get a chance to try it, I highly recommend you do! :thumbup:

On 2/5/2018 at 4:34 AM, 1974 said:

Wicked smart, bro. If you can keep it between you and me, I know someone who'll sell much cheaper LEGO from China

Heck, you can even get LEGO for free (if you got a get-out-of-jail-card that is) :

https://wtop.com/stafford-county/2018/02/stafford-co-man-arrested-1-8k-lego-scam/

:laugh_hard: This! :thumbup: Seriously though, don't pirate movies (or Lego), kids.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:37 AM, Forresto said:

Phew...that was much more then I ever expected to write :blush: :wink:

Thank you for giving your detailed thoughts on TLJ. I much prefer a lengthy analysis over the "SHUT UP YOU WHINY LITTLE FANBOYS!! THE MOVIE IS AMAZING!!!!" type of comments that I usually see. That said, I will have to respectfully disagree. I get what the movie was going for, I just think it was executed poorly. It seems like it was so focused on being subversive that it forgot to tell a cohesive and satisfying story.

Spoiler

All the "subversive" twists about Snoke, Rey's parents, etc. only amounted to unsatisfying pay-offs to mysteries that were being built up since the last movie. And as you said yourself, Snoke ended up being a completely pointless character who was only there for the sake of having a twist. Considering that he was the one who caused all of the conflicts in this trilogy, the fact that we didn't get any backstory on him makes for a frustratingly big plot hole. Sure, the same could be said about Palpatine before the prequels, but at least he had a purpose as he represented a temptation for Luke to turn to the dark side. Other twists like Holdo's secret plan also only open up more plot holes, and whether it fit thematically or not, I still fail to see what the Canto Bight subplot contributed to the main plot. The whole movie was just a bunch of scenes copied from ESB and ROTJ that end in a twist regardless of whether it makes sense or not. So much so that the twists became predictable by the end. Just because these scenes end in a twist doesn't change the fact they are they are still mostly the same scenes. Not only that, but the twists don't change anything. You think Luke is not gonna train Rey as expected, but he ends up doing it anyway. You think Kylo is not gonna be villain and join up with Rey after killing Snoke instead of Leia, but he stays on the dark side. Everything is the same by the end of the movie except a bunch of background characters died, so I don't see how this film is the game changer that you make it out to be. That combined with the unoriginal vehicle and location designs, it makes the film seem uninspired and lazily done. I will let another famous youtuber explain further:

As for the ruining of Luke's character, while I can see what they were going for and how you're trying to justify it, having him repeat the same mistake completely nullifies his character arc in the OT and the message it told. Sure, in real life people face new challenges every day and tend to make the same mistakes, but this is a fictional sci-fi fairy tale universe with heroes that are meant to inspire us and teach us morals. All that this taught me is that Luke didn't learn anything from his previous actions and nothing he did in the OT mattered because he was doomed to repeat his mistakes and screw up even worse the next time, just like how Han somehow reverted back to his self-centered loner self from before all of his character development in the OT. But even if we excuse his creation of Kylo Ren, what I can absolutely not accept is that after making that one little mistake, he does absolutely nothing to fix it and just turns his back on his family, friends, the force, and the entire galaxy by going into exile to wallow in his self pitty for 30 years. This is not the Luke I know. Even Mark Hamill himself has said that Luke would never just give up and abandon everyone like that. Him showing up at the end to save the handful of rebels that survived does not excuse that. especially since he didn't even really show up and only phoned in his appearance via a Force-Skype-call that somehow kills him.

But hey, if you enjoy that stuff, more power to you.

To me it seemed shocking that people found TLJ to be purposefully subversive for its own sake, to me this seems like a fan thing. A lot of fan theories including mine where based on world building rather than actual story content, and I think that shows a mindset that was offset from evaluating the content of the film itself. This is true especially considering most Star Wars worldbuilding from the films came from assimilating content with external media like books (or how about explaining the internal logic of having a lightsaber with its short beam instead of a gun?) rather than outright in-film continuity or logic, or included outright changing the story significantly like the Vader and Leia twist, Kenobi's master, or the Emperor design change after ESB. Besides maybe Rey/Kylo switching sides which had little narrative basis, the theories that did focus on world building would not have explained the rise of the FO more than learning from Rose they're mining out planets or supported by the war industry. The story was kept at a personal level Instead of crediting historical events to the powerful and those in authority, and made ideology and fallibility an important part of that story.

I was pretty impressed with what TFA set up and wrote a paper about its themes and ideas a few months after it's release, and pretty much everything in TLJ followed my expectations in that sense. Rian took things farther than I expected, which shocked me in an enjoyable way, and is necessary for the last chapter to not to be overstuffed with resolution for every element of the new trilogy.

To me, TFA's thesis was always "we need to bring back Star Wars,"--bring back Luke Skywalker--and set up that as the fundamental problem of the trilogy. Kylo was the perfect foil for that because he wanted to bring back Vader, in a sense, and follow the villains journey that the prequels established. The conflict was over which Skywalker was Star Wars, but through Rey the narrative with the most weight was that getting Anakin's saber was about more than being a Skywalker as Kylo was, it was about accepting who you are and connecting with the larger Force. 

TLJ does not subvert any of this without advancing Kylo and Rey's journey at a personal level that is more interesting and complex. TL carries on the questions of the previous trilogies and the problem of Vader in a way that makes perfect sense for the saga and what Luke has to deal with in terms of this duality.  The thing is TLJ does take that thesis of bringing back Skywalker--the hero-- and shows the problem of it. This is what the second chapter should do, it's the anti-thesis, it questions the previous chapter before setting up the synthesis or resolution of the problem. How Can the Force Awaken if Luke is The Last Jedi? --(Spoiler?)--The Spark of Hope. 

To me TLJ is still in the dark part of the story, so Kylo is still driving the narrative.

Ultimately, I think TLJ is the first film in the saga that really says something. There is such a large industry now a days on outsmarting films with 4 hour reviews on YouTube and so forth, which is literally the easiest thing to do, that the film undercuts its audience is considered upsetting. Rian Johnson ultimately made a film which engages and creates emotional reactions, (even if those emotions are discomfort sometimes, ha) and followers are not used to that stuff that isn't calculable with theories and speculation, and people think that any movie that creates a reaction is bad because they can't validate it in the context of the previous films. In reality the film brings up a lot of questions and ideas, and the way the film plays out retroactively shows how someone like Snoke could rise in the image of Emperor and power could be maintained inside the system.

Of course I'm talking pretty abstractly because I'm too lazy to do spoilers or post my old content, but yeah. The film drags I a couple spots but overall it could be the best Star Wars film, although I kind of knew it would be too much for classic fans.

Edited by the last chronicler

@the last chronicler Excellent Analysis, i'm pretty much in total agreement with that.  

Also if you follow the stream of consciousness in the negative reaction to the Last Jedi, your right, it really is a fan claim that the Last Jedi is overly subversive for the sake of being subversive. Something I entirely disagree with.

In other news has anyone seen this absolutely incredible fan video?

Edited by Forresto

2 hours ago, ChiefPie said:

Jon Favreau is set to produce a live action series now. 

And write.

I may give this a chance, as long as it doesn't cost me more money.

10 hours ago, ChiefPie said:

Jon Favreau is set to produce a live action series now. 

He has done a nice job with the shannara chronicles.  I hope its going to be something entertaining.  

Should be a better movie than The Last Jedi.

It will not make as much money as The Last Jedi because of timing.  TLJ followed the incredible The Force Awakens, so many were expecting something up to that caliber and spent the money to get tickets.  Now, many were disappointed by TLJ,  and are disillusioned with Star Wars.  Because of that, there are many who will not see Solo out of frustration with the IP and IP holders.

Wasn't convinced on my first time seeing the trailer, but I watched it 3 times now and It looks like a fun space adventure. I like it. 

No one is gonna match Ford's Solo, it's just an impossible task, but I hope he's at least a somewhat ikeable and charismatic character in this movie.

Chewie, Tobias, Lando and his robot all look great; I'm just worried about Han and Emilia Clarke's character.