Review: 6399 Airport Shuttle  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

I enjoyed reading this review, it had colorful pictures, and great minifigures. A lot of suitcases, which is nice. I enjoy the the hamburger stand the most though.

judging from videos i've seen it seems that the monorail does very well on slopes. i wonder why there haven't been more or at least an updated set?:hmpf: i also wonder why the trains can't incorporate some slopes like the monorail.

Maybe you should get some basic lessons in mechanics ;) but b.t.w. LEGO released 3 monorails so that isn't that bad either.

...I also wonder why the trains can't incorporate some slopes like the monorail.

That's because the monorail-motor uses a gear which connects to the rack in the middle of the track to provide forward motion. Gears provide considerable more grip for climbing, and for this reason there exists in real-life purpose-built mountain-locomotives, which incorporate a mechanism that is virtually identical to the system used by LEGO's monorails, just so they can climb steeper hills. I think electric DUPLO locomotives also has a similar system for climbing bridges, with spurs molded into the drive-wheels.

The LEGO trains on the other, do not have a system for this, unless you build one. Monorail owners are usually careful about extending their trains because the motor, or more specifically the drive-gear, can only take so much load, and trains weight several times over compared to a monorail. Too much weight, and the gears break, which is easy to do with trains. Which makes wheels so much easier because they just slip, protecting vital components from breaking or overheating.

That must be one of the biggest expenses Lego-like: buying an MISB 6399!

Congratulations with the purchase, though it is a lot of money for one set.

The one I bought wasn't MISB, it was used. I wanted it to build and use because that's what LEGO bricks are for. I just realized that all the smaller sets I've bought in the last five years or so probably added up to what a MISB 6399 would have cost, despite me thinking previously that a used 6399 is too expensive for me. So I bought one and cut back on other sets, and I won't regret it. The one I bought cost less than $330, including shipping and was the cheapest of the totally complete ones on BL at the time. It truly is a sight to behold when it is built!

...The one I bought cost less than $330, including shipping and was the cheapest of the totally complete ones on BL at the time. It truly is a sight to behold when it is built!

That is quite a good price for a complete monorail: I bought mine of Ebay with the seller stating that it was complete for 130 euro's, but when I got it lots of pieces appeared to be missing.

It had the original instructions though, and the box. It was very frustratting at the time, looking at the box and knowing that all the pieces had been in there someday but got lost.... :cry_sad:

I bricklinked the remaining parts, including the stickered ones (for a considerable amount of money) and now it is completely new-looking and restored to it's full glory.

It indeed is a sight to behold when it is built! :wub:

Great review! I especially appreciate the pictures you took of the box, which are hard to find online. I'm especially impressed with the original stickers yours still has...mine was missing most of them, so I used an hccamsterdam sticker sheet scan, modified it with MS Paint, and printed my own.

6399sticker.jpg

I voted Outstanding of course :wub: :wub:

This was a such an awesome set!

The concept of a Monorail was very nice and I don't think they started using monorails or air-trains much after this set was made.

So you could say this set idea was ahead of its time

Awesome set one of my all time favorites :thumbup:

Edited by Macoco

Hi,

I have been looking on bricklink to find a replacement motor and i noticed there a 2 types.. ones with short or ones with long couplings. Could someone please tell me which one is the same as this set?

Thanks in advance :)

Mike

Hi,

I have been looking on bricklink to find a replacement motor and i noticed there a 2 types.. ones with short or ones with long couplings. Could someone please tell me which one is the same as this set?

Thanks in advance :)

Mike

The motor with the short couplings was only ever used in the Futron Monorail Transport System. So that means you want the long couplings for the Airport Shuttle. :wink:

The motor with the short couplings was only ever used in the Futron Monorail Transport System. So that means you want the long couplings for the Airport Shuttle. :wink:

Hi thanks so much for the quick reply default_classic.gif

I love this set got it for Xmas as a child and still own it to this day. I also rated it outstanding ! My parents got my the extra track set in addition to set to this helps when setting up my lego city. I dont have any problems incorperating it into my city though and find it to be my pride and joy. :sweet:

Bought this set 3 months ago with the monorail expansion for just over 300 euro's in absolute mint condition!

Loved the set ever since! To bad I never got it as a kid.

I can recommend it to everyone!

This is definitely one of those "must have" sets. I've been trying to get one for years, unfortunately its going for a premium I don't think I can pay default_cry4.gif Maybe one day. Excellent old review default_classic.gif

This is a great review for a set that just happens to be out my price range. So many play features in one set. If only I had enough money for this set...