Sign in to follow this  
Gen. Knowledge

No Pirates in 2009 LEGO lineup?

I just read an article about Lego's 2009 lineup, and there is no mention of the new pirate theme. The article does state that it's the January lineup, so there still could be a May release. I was just hoping we would see some pirates early next year. Here is a link to the article if you want to read it.

Click Here

Tony

The funny thing is that I think that every other theme in the catalog was mentioned, plus power miners. But themes in the retail catalog have to be official, right? That's what retailers are ordering from. LEGO can't just change Pirates to power miners, can they?

No. I simple believe that we got lucky and saw pictures from a summer release early on. Nothing more than that. Lego wouldn't release those pictures if the theme wasn't going to go through.

With the new boat hull moldings and everything else we see in those pictures, its obvious that LEGO is very far along in the design process and has put alot of money into the line so far. We will absolutely be seeing Pirates in 2009.

With the new boat hull moldings and everything else we see in those pictures, its obvious that LEGO is very far along in the design process and has put alot of money into the line so far. We will absolutely be seeing Pirates in 2009.

:imperialguard_commander1:

TLC is just trying to keep the public knowledge a secret cause they want to try and suprise people and we just go "We know...".

Personally, I think pirates will not be part of the new January 2009 line-up. My estimate is that the new pirate line will be introduced somewhere around May 2009. Don't ask me why I think this, I simply do.

Same might be the case with some of the other releases such as the SW line and the Indiana Jones sets. I mean, come on, the current Lego line is not that old and not outdated enough yet to be replaced and overhauled that drastically. Some sets need to be sold for at least another year or so in order to earn back costs of development, etc. The new catalogue does not hold many sets that are currently part of the range so my estimate is that the current sets will still be available for some time (some might end up in the December 2008 or January 2009 clean-out though which happens every year) and after that, they will gradually bring new items including the new pirate line.

Or maybe the LEGO Group decided to cancel the new pirate theme after the images got leaked to teach people not to leak images in the future.

And yes, lurkers who are looking for an opportunities to misinterpret my posts, I'm being very facetious :pir-grin:

Or maybe the LEGO Group decided to cancel the new pirate theme after the images got leaked to teach people not to leak images in the future.

hehe, you can't download LEGO bricks from pitarebay, can you? So where is the problem? :pir-tongue:

I think this is the case, since the images leaked so early they can easily already be copied and so TLC can either come up with new sets, or just drop the line...

I just read an article about Lego's 2009 lineup, and there is no mention of the new pirate theme.

No Castle or Agents either. But we're quite sure they will be back.

I’d say they didn’t mention pirates as TLC was the focus on power miners, likewise detail was limited on everything but power miners in the interview.

There was probably no information in the article since TLG wanted the Pirates line to be a surprise, but the pictures were leaked...

I think this is the case, since the images leaked so early they can easily already be copied and so TLC can either come up with new sets, or just drop the line...

Don't say things like that! It's bad luck! :pir-look:.......:pir-grin:

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard

Wouldn't that be hilarious? Lego decides to let certain selected people have a peak at the new lines, knowing that there always is a smartass taking pictures without permission and letting the AFOL crowd believe there will be a new Pirate line. And then, all of a sudden, when those pictures of the new sets with the 62xx set numbers and names widely known already do not show up in the January and August 2009 catalogs, and people start making inquiries, TLC calmly informs us that on second thought they decided to drop the line as a result of someone leaking these pictures a year early.

A TLC spokesman: Well, we gave it some thought and we decided that it would not be fun to make the sets since someone grossly interfered with our policies regarding secrecy... this person owes the AFOL crowd big time for us deciding to drop the plans of introducing a new Pirate line. If the AFOL community still might have a need to buy new and unused Lego pirate related sets, all I can say is good luck on eBay to ye all! :grin:

In that case we might want to forget those other new Indiana Jones and Star Wars sets as well. God knows how much time, efforts and costs were involved in designing and developing those new lines of sets.

A few of you could be right in Lego cancelling their Pirate theme due to copycats for one big reason: -

There weren't any Power Miner pictures in the scanned catalogue.

(I'm very sure the person scanned all the pages in their catalogue because they even scanned the back cover!)

My guess is that THERE ISN'T A CATALOGUE FOR 2009 JUNE ONWARDS YET!

So don't expect to see leaked pics of Agents, Castle and Summer Star Wars because Lego haven't even released that retail catalogue yet!!! :pir-sad2:

Edited by The Rancor

A few of you could be right in Lego cancelling their Pirate theme due to copycats for one big reason: -

There weren't any Power Miner pictures in the scanned catalogue.

(I'm very sure the person scanned all the pages in their catalogue because they even scanned the back cover!)

My guess is that THERE ISN'T A CATALOGUE FOR 2009 JUNE ONWARDS YET!

So don't expect to see leaked pics of Agents, Castle and Summer Star Wars because Lego haven't even released that retail catalogue yet!!! :pir-sad2:

Don't forget that Lego sometimes does not introduce certain lines in specific countries. For instance, I live in Holland. In our most recent August 2008 there is no trace of Batman sets. My expectation is that Lego found out that Batman was not such a beloved item here (compared to for instance the States where Batman originally came from) and decided to cancel the Batman line for Dutch retailers. Only way of acquiring those is through foreign sources or through Lego Shop@Home. This also reduces the risk of Dutch retailers having to handle overstocked Batman items (i.e. putting them on sale to get them out of the way) that did not get sold and only real dedicated fans will know their way to get the sets anyway.

The scanned pages were in Spanish language. This might be a catalogue for Spain or for certain countries in South or Central America, who knows. It is very well possible that TLC decided that the new Power Miner line will not be introduced in those countries.

Don't forget that Lego sometimes does not introduce certain lines in specific countries. For instance, I live in Holland. In our most recent August 2008 there is no trace of Batman sets. My expectation is that Lego found out that Batman was not such a beloved item here (compared to for instance the States where Batman originally came from) and decided to cancel the Batman line for Dutch retailers. Only way of acquiring those is through foreign sources or through Lego Shop@Home. This also reduces the risk of Dutch retailers having to handle overstocked Batman items (i.e. putting them on sale to get them out of the way) that did not get sold and only real dedicated fans will know their way to get the sets anyway.

The scanned pages were in Spanish language. This might be a catalogue for Spain or for certain countries in South or Central America, who knows. It is very well possible that TLC decided that the new Power Miner line will not be introduced in those countries.

From the first paragraph - I don't even remember seeing the newer Batman sets for sale in shops in the UK, so similar there!

From the second paragraph - I don't know if you know but Spain has 2 slightly different languages in the same country, it could well just be a retail catalogue from Spain (And therefore for Europe as a whole).

Does the aforementioned article speak for Lego customers everywhere, or just in the U.S?

The USA has got different lines to Europe before, so perhaps here we won't get Power Miners but we will get Pirates :pir-devil:

There was probably no information in the article since TLG wanted the Pirates line to be a surprise, but the pictures were leaked...

This makes sense to me. Just think if we didn't see any pics and those sets were all of a sudden on the shelves at your local toy and department stores, and TLC managed to pull off a huge cover-up leading up to release date in January, what kind of craziness do you think would have went on?

Correct me if I'm proved wrong, but it seems the summary is this:

Perhaps people from the USA weren't meant to see a new Pirate line and Power Miners are in the US trade catalogue!

I would rather have the pirate theme then this new power miner theme. I'm not sure if the old rock raiders sold well or not in the US, but bringing them back instead of the pirates would be just wrong. :pir_bawling:

Tony

I would not be shocked to discover that Pirates is a summer a release. They are making quite a deal out of the Power Miners and I can understand their desire to not dilute enthusiasm across two 'new' lines. Yes the pirates are a rebirth of an old line, but to young kids it's brand new.

I guess we'll just see, wouldn't we! B.t.w. strange that we (at least I) haven't seen any pictures of the powerminers. When you haven't seem them, how can you decide if you like them or not? Hope they are better than the rockraiders at least.

i think pirates would sell better in the summer...

the ships, the sea, the beach.

and i think this is a theme that would sell very well in the USA as pirates and sea travel are in the american history and culture