the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

Why are you guys complaining about the Treasure Island set? Look at it! It has a new fish piece, a new baseplate, a dark blue rowboat, a hobo with cool printed legs and a new whatchamacallit telescope piece. And I'm not very happy with the Kraken Attack set. It's just an octopus. :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: And a quick question, the way the Imperials have those torches, is that a plum (or whatever you call it) that you put on knights helm? :pir-blush:

I for one am very happy with the look of the new series. Surely it has some disadvantages, like the ones mentioned by me earlier, but I like the fact that it resembles the old line so much. Such classical approach to a once-discontinued theme is unprecedented in the modern history of Lego. It proves that Pirates are a very special theme for the guys at TLC as well.

I knew there would be complaints from some AFOLs no matter what the theme looked like. You just can't please everyone. But hey - so many people wanted it to look just like the old pirates - and that's almost how it looks. On the other hand, if it looked nothing like the old pirates, people would start moaning about that too.

Surely those sets aren't perfect, but they're still good and I hope they will get better next year and in the years to come. I for one will buy all of the 2009 Pirates. I'm looking forward to having new torsos, hats etc. for my pirates and soldiers, new hull type for my ship (it's not the same as the old one, at least the bow and stern sections are different!) and so on.

One more thing - if you look at the picture of the pirate ship, you can see another ship in the background. Could this be a subtle suggestion that another ship is coming in 2010 or maybe late 2009? A proper Imperial Flagship perhaps? Note that when the humans vs skeletons Castle line first appeared, in the Lego catalogue we had pictures of the new Castle sets and some blurry troll figures in the background - and the next year the trolls appeared...

The reason why there is (a lot?) of complains is because the “re-birth” of the pirate theme have had such huge expectations on it.

But I have to say that I think that most of the posts in here has been positive and not negative and that’s good, isn’t?

You can’t expect that everyone should love everything. The experiences and emotions to LEGO are very different from person to person.

And I have to step up and defend the AFOL’s on this forum, sins I guess that I’m one of the oldest. We are actually a very important group for LEGO. Besides buying LEGO for our kids (if there are any) we spend a lot of money on it for our one sake. Most of us probably have jobs and that gives us a greater opportunity to buy what we want, when we want it,…which I guess that most of the younglings doesn’t (?).

And I also would like to say that I doubt that all of you who criticises the AFOL’s have read all the posts. I’ve never said that I want everything exactly as it was. I think that this will be the third time I write this: The new line is much too SIMILAR to the old one. There is a kind of lack of new ideas. I suppose that it isn’t much you can do about this because the kinds today haven’t grown up with the old sets so TLC releases sets that were popular earlier.

But ones again I have to compare with the castle theme. There you have a more “modern” perspective and some new fresh ideas. I actually think that the line (castle) could have been great without the fantasy genre but it all depends on what you do with the possibilities.

The new pirate line follows the exact same pattern as before. Ugly pirate captain struggles with imperial soldiers. You’ve got a pirate ship, a raft, a small island and a tower. Just imagine how it could be if you spice it up a little. Throw in a ghost ship, make the pirate younger and make him the good fellow (the Errol Flynn…ohh sorry, the Captain Blood stile). There are tons of ideas. What I wrote in the text above is just some suggestions and maybe not the best but you understand what I mean (don’t you?).

I guess we (AFOL’s) have to see that the company goes throw changes and that’s what bugs me. I will never stop loving LEGO and I will never give up the hope. But when you look at the sets (and not just Pirate) there are many small sets with a lot of “army building”. And I actually think that this is crucial for the company so that they can keep up the competition with other brands. But earlier the focus was on making a playable set ant not so much on making as many minifigs as possible (although army-building sets have always been there).

When the first pirate line was released, it was magic. I was a young boy and had loved LEGO for as long as I could remember. But the pirate line opened up so many new doors. If you guys think that there are a lot of new parts in this line you could imagine how it felt when a completely new LEGO theme entered my world. Every part seemed new :pir-wub:

Thank you Asuka for brining some perspective to this thread:

I guess that one of the benefits of the new Castle line, beside some nice set design, great costumes and simply being the

successor of KK´s the well timed addition of new and interesting factions. Knights, skeletons, dwarfs, orcs and trolls, and,

of course, dragons, magicians and perhaps even elves... plenty of stuff for several years. With Classic Pirates it looks a little

difficult for sure to stay for two or three years, and well built sets alone´re maybe not enough - it needs good plots, intriguing

story elements and in general a lot of cleverness to keep people excited over such a long time, and I hope TLC´ll play their cards well.

Edited by omega brick

I for one am very happy with the look of the new series. Surely it has some disadvantages, like the ones mentioned by me earlier, but I like the fact that it resembles the old line so much. Such classical approach to a once-discontinued theme is unprecedented in the modern history of Lego. It proves that Pirates are a very special theme for the guys at TLC as well.

I knew there would be complaints from some AFOLs no matter what the theme looked like. You just can't please everyone. But hey - so many people wanted it to look just like the old pirates - and that's almost how it looks. On the other hand, if it looked nothing like the old pirates, people would start moaning about that too.

Surely those sets aren't perfect, but they're still good and I hope they will get better next year and in the years to come. I for one will buy all of the 2009 Pirates. I'm looking forward to having new torsos, hats etc. for my pirates and soldiers, new hull type for my ship (it's not the same as the old one, at least the bow and stern sections are different!) and so on.

One more thing - if you look at the picture of the pirate ship, you can see another ship in the background. Could this be a subtle suggestion that another ship is coming in 2010 or maybe late 2009? A proper Imperial Flagship perhaps? Note that when the humans vs skeletons Castle line first appeared, in the Lego catalogue we had pictures of the new Castle sets and some blurry troll figures in the background - and the next year the trolls appeared...

Yea you cant please everyone, of course some people wont like it, Hmmm i hope your right about the Pirate ship in the backround :pir-cry_happy:

I hope they do more new torsos with this line and impulse sets, wasnt there a impulse set in the list but we didnt get the pic? :pir-sceptic:

Pirates ON :pir_yoda:

Yes, a Pirate ship, but what about an Imperial ship??? Come on, that would be great!!! :pir-blush:

and I have a question about the fort: is that a second Pirate captain?? or is it an imperial officer??? :pir-blush:

Yes, a Pirate ship, but what about an Imperial ship??? Come on, that would be great!!! :pir-blush:

and I have a question about the fort: is that a second Pirate captain?? or is it an imperial officer??? :pir-blush:

Imperial Ship would actualy be better :pir-cry_happy: thats what i was thinking when i said Pirate Ship accept i wrote Pirate :pir-tongue:

Hmm i dont know it looks like he has as similar torso as the pirate captain :pir-sceptic:

And he has the same face as the Pirate Captain....

:pir-sceptic:

Edited by Darth_Legois

The one in the boat is the pirate captain, the same as in the pirate ship set. The one standing on the shore is an imperial captain (or maybe even Admiral Woodhouse?) - his face is different (no eyepatch) and so is his torso.

Actually, I didn't say that all AFOL's were doing that - I only was pointing out that there was a lot of complaining going on despite the awesomeness of having a pirate line similar to the old one.

Exactly, it was your nasty post I was talking about, you bloody little... :pir-skull: :pir-tongue:

(I hope that wasn´t too much 'pirate mode' speakin´... :pir-look: )

Na, seriously, Grevious, I would´ve quoted your post in detail if I would think so... in this case, you´re just a part of a certain

modus operandi on that board (it happens on other boards too of course) which I´m referring to, and there´s nothing wrong with

your opinion too. :pir-wink:

All I wanted to say´s that I´m soo bored by that argy-bargy scheme of commenting other persons likes or dislikes that always rises

its ugly head as soon as some preliminary stuff appears on the horizon, and this within any theme at any subforum.

Sometimes it looks just like a never ending vicious cycle to me. Of course I want everyone to state his or her opinion in a free manner,

but I guess it´s much more useful to just resolve a little the weak and strong points of the new sets according to one´s own personal

point of view, so that other people might be able to see them in a new light for themselves, if they want so that is. And if not, well,

nevermind. Don´t worry, be happy mode on!

(And a special thank you to you, Mr. Bobby McFerrin!)

BOBBY_McFERRIN.JPG

To be genuinely critical one must evaluate both their likes and dislikes of the subject under critique.

That´s the master plan, especially when the first strong feelings´re fading out a little... :pir-sweet:

Such classical approach to a once-discontinued theme is unprecedented in the modern history of Lego.

(...)

That´s a fascinating and unusual approach indeed and a very interesting one too.

And I would like to know what and what not this could mean for the new SpacePolice theme... and who´s gonna to play the role

of the baddies... SpacePirates, huh? :pir-wub:

And it really looks like they´re teasing us with some foggy foreshadows of things to come just like with Castle, pretty exciting,

isn´t it? :pir-oh:

The reason why there is (a lot?) of complains is because the “re-birth” of the pirate theme have had such huge expectations on it.

(...)

Throw in a ghost ship, make the pirate younger and make him the good fellow (the Errol Flynn…ohh sorry, the Captain Blood stile).

Very understandable in fact, although it sometimes seems that suffering´s just a part of G(rumpy)AFOLhood lifestyle indeed... :pir-laugh:

And why not, in the end... just live and let die live on! :jollyroger::pir-grin:

And there´s a pretty nice young pirate in that Pirate themed brick box, not really an Errol Flynn, but quite interesting nevertheless.

I hope that (just a little, not too much to not disturb all the army builders out there) more original characters´re still on the run...

Let´s see.

Edited by Asuka

What I don't like

• STICKERS (on shako!)

Well, that's not that bad...this way, we can get normal Shakos and not new, specific Shakos.

Hidious, non-poseable 4+ palm tree (the trunk, the leaves seem to be normal), why does everyone think it is a normal palm tree?

How can you tell it's 4+?

Bluebeard, out-

How can you tell it's 4+?

Bluebeard, out-

By looking at the trunk, the normal palm tree had a round trunk, this one hasn't.

To me it seems like this piece (4+ palm tree trunk) with one of these to attach the normal leaves.

So unless it's a new piece, it's a 4+ palm tree trunk.

Edit: hmm... seems like it is not specifically a 4+ piece, it came in the adventurers line first if I checked correctly, but it still remains a part that goes straight to the rubbish bin.

Edited by Fluyt

Exactly, it was your nasty post I was talking about, you bloody little... :pir-skull: :pir-tongue:

(I hope that wasn´t too much 'pirate mode' speakin´... :pir-look: )

Na, seriously, Grevious, I would´ve quoted your post in detail if I would think so... in this case, you´re just a part of a certain

modus operandi on that board (it happens on other boards too of course) which I´m referring to, and there´s nothing wrong with

your opinion too. :pir-wink:

All I wanted to say´s that I´m soo bored by that argy-bargy scheme of commenting other persons likes or dislikes that always rises

its ugly head as soon as some preliminary stuff appears on the horizon, and this within any theme at any subforum.

Sometimes it looks just like a never ending vicious cycle to me. Of course I want everyone to state his or her opinion in a free manner,

but I guess it´s much more useful to just resolve a little the weak and strong points of the new sets according to one´s own personal

point of view, so that other people might be able to see them in a new light for themselves, if they want so that is. And if not, well,

nevermind. Don´t worry, be happy mode on!

(And a special thank you to you, Mr. Bobby McFerrin!

Oh, okay. I wasn't quite sure, but from what you said, it sounded like I was the one who started the "fans complain about complaining, fans praise fans" phase. Glad to see that wasn't quite right. :pir-tongue:

Actually, I realize that my post may have been a bit strong, but all it really meant was for everyone to put away nostalga for a bit and judge the sets on their own merit. Compared to the older sets, they're not really a big jump at all - but as a whole the sets are very nice, especially compared to the Dark ages and 4+ crap. That said, I know I can't really share the sentiment of many of the older fans, since I got into lego IN the dark ages - so I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. :pir-blush:

Say, who restored my avatar to it's former, new-pirate-ey self? Since a MOD or Admin removed it after Hinckley's post.

I love all the new elements in the pirate theme. I remember playing with Castle 2007 and feeling so bad for the Pirate's group because here we have such a devoted fan base with no pirate sets in the horizon. Now with the pirates out, and lego with enough kindness and smartness to release their prelim pics for fan feedback, I couldn't ask for more. What a company :pir-blush: !

I WANT that ship, and when their imperial ship comes out (wishing) I will get it as well. For the time being, ALL the pirate sets look good to me. I have a question, what is that little thing sticking out of the imperial troop's hat? In the pirate ship set, it is red, but in the regular sets, it is black. Are these things removable (not the plume look alike, the other thing on the imperial troops) ? :jollyroger: I'm really happy for you guys in the pirate forum :pir-cry_happy:

Most likely the same admin who removed them. It appears you can display them, or at least for now...

Horray! :pir_laugh2:

Cant wait for Pirates to be released! [and Im still waiting for Agents to come out in Aus :pir-hmpf_bad: ]

Going to be a loonnnnggggg wait.

First off I'd just like to say- It's a trap! TLG knows us too well to be this kind to us, this is obviously part of some diabolical scheme to lure us into believing that Pirates is returning as a theme.

On the other hand... if this is true, then I truly have died and gone to a better place.

A place where TLG does not have to create themes with only man vs. beast violence, a place where minifigs can do what they do best and hack each other into tiny little plastic bits,

a place where all AFOL's should be happy but probably aren't because they love to complain, this is my kind of place... a better place, a new place, an AFOL's paradise.

:wink:

A few things that I noticed: (In no apparent order.)

• The firing mechanism part of the cannon is metallic while the muzzle is not. :pir-sceptic:
  • People who are complaining about the lack of cause for a fight in set 6239 should get eyeglasses. Why? Well, isn't a map leading to buried treasure a good enough cause for a fight-to-the-death?
  • Epaulettes return and in surprising colors - gold and what appears to be silver or bronze. (On the governor in set 6424.)
  • The stickers on the shackos are just one more way TLG provided us with to better organize our Piratey armies.
  • In set 6242 a 1x1 brick with hole is conviently placed at the base of the tower on the far right so as to easily make it expandable. Anyone up for Modular Pirate sets?
  • Since when is an Octopus considered a Kraken? :pir-laugh:

-Tarfful, who should ask you - Do you fear dea-aath?

(Pirates are so ON!)

EDIT: Dash troubles now fixed.

Edited by Tarfful

Horray! :pir_laugh2:

Cant wait for Pirates to be released! [and Im still waiting for Agents to come out in Aus :pir-hmpf_bad: ]

Going to be a loonnnnggggg wait.

They come out in September! Cantwait!

Anyway, I wonder if the ship will end up being more than $100Aud :pir-sceptic:

It's a great thing to see Pirates make a comeback!! I only have six pirates sets and this is going to be the ideal opportunity to change that! I need some more! I've also been wondering how much the pirate ship will be.

They come out in September! Cantwait!

Anyway, I wonder if the ship will end up being more than $100Aud :pir-sceptic:

Oh God, dont give them any ideas... :imperialguard_commander1:

Seriously...i have a feeling it will be around that price, hopefully below but i doubt it :pir_bawling:

Anyone wants to see photos of new Pirate sets, simply ask me via PM, I will send to e-mail.

I've finally seen what all the fuss was about. I've spent the last two weeks in the UK so I was out of touch with the latest evolutions.

But my brother has filled me in while I was away.

I saw the pictures today, one of the first things I did after arriving back home (yes I'm an addict :pir-tongue: ).

And I'm surprised. All those old pieces which will be making a comeback. The nice shako's, the shooting cannons, all those wonderfull torso's, the weapons, the animals etc.

But the sets themselves don't appeal to me as much as I thought they would do. I'll buy some of them but they will be used as part-packs rather than sets.

My ship will benefit from these new sets that's for sure.

Thanks you TLC for bringing pirates back!!!

Greetings,

Errorist

The fish and campfire pieces. These are great new pieces which could easily be used in other sets or MOCs.

I didn´t want to disrupt the clearness of that other thread, so I´ll post just here that I guess that the campfire from that island set´s

just made of three of these wee 1x1x2/3 slopes in trans orange, above some 1x1 round black plates on a perhaps brown 2x2 plate,

and the fish holds in place by one of these ExoForce robot claws, connected to a 1x1 round brick with hollow stud, I think...

Pretty nice, however.

Thanks for that response Asuka! And thank you for not disrupting the cleanliness of the other thread otherwise I would have moved your post here anyway :thumbup:

And now to practice what I preach: Moose in the thread wrote.

6241 Treasure Island

The mini figs are fantastic to say the least (although i wish the every soldier came with a backpack. its mildly tolerable since they are navy, however)

Historically the red coats should be marines or infantry (i.e. "ground forces") and therefore you'd expect to see them with backpacks more so than naval forces.