After a busy last year I finally finished my Lego Lathe. I have a WIP folder sowing most of the changes through the year when I had time to build.

I had wanted to do a machinist lathe, but not a huge build like the few videos I had found. So at this scale I was able to fit lots of functions into the build and still be strong.

It has:

• 8 total speeds for the chuck
  • 2 speed for the auto feed, plus forward, reverse, and neutral
  • Moving and lock tail stock
  • Can engage the apron (tool holder part) with 2 speeds or neutral
  • Uses a wrench with a flat end as the cutting tool with the flat part

I have made free instructions available here!

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

More pictures here.

Please enjoy!

Very cool! It's a super unique model, and has lots of functionality in a small space! I'm impressed you even managed to find a Lego part for the cutting blade!

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Nice to see something unusuall, very well built thing. 

Thank you. I try to build the not so normal stuff.

5 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Very cool! It's a super unique model, and has lots of functionality in a small space! I'm impressed you even managed to find a Lego part for the cutting blade!

Thank you. That was kind of hard. Small knives have blunt tips and swords are too long.

49 minutes ago, Davidz90 said:

Wow, this is amazing! Surprisingly strong too. Very neat design of the chuck.

Thank you. I had seen on a larger one someone built, but it was big and bulky. So I managed to make a smaller version.

33 minutes ago, JunkstyleGio said:

Something else! That is always nice.

Thank you

Very impressive build, Looks to work quite well. Curious to know what material you are cutting in the video?

47 minutes ago, apemax said:

Very impressive build, Looks to work quite well. Curious to know what material you are cutting in the video?

Floral foam as I wanted to use Lego parts for the cutter and its soft enough.

27 minutes ago, PG52 said:

That one is really inspiring. Very nice MOC !

Thank you.

Nice one! :classic:

Something closer to my heart, definetly will try to build, just need to find some missing parts.

10 hours ago, weavil said:

I try to build the not so normal stuff.

What's NOT normal about workshop equipment? :excited:

Very nice! Maybe this will give some inspiration to others in attempts to build something less usual in Technic.

I've also contemplated on building a lathe, albeit with a bit more ambition. In my idea there would be multiple speed gearbox and a bore through the machine (so you could turn long stock) and main bearing made with Technic metal balls. Perhaps even automatic feed through lead screw. But as with many other ideas, that has to wait until such a time where my schedule is not so cramped...

5 hours ago, Mikdun said:

Nice one! :classic:

Something closer to my heart, definetly will try to build, just need to find some missing parts.

What's NOT normal about workshop equipment? :excited:

Thank you. Its not normal cause its not a car, truck, or heavy equipment.

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Very nice! Maybe this will give some inspiration to others in attempts to build something less usual in Technic.

I've also contemplated on building a lathe, albeit with a bit more ambition. In my idea there would be multiple speed gearbox and a bore through the machine (so you could turn long stock) and main bearing made with Technic metal balls. Perhaps even automatic feed through lead screw. But as with many other ideas, that has to wait until such a time where my schedule is not so cramped...

Thank you. I was thinking of later doing an updated version with a the chuck attached to a turn table for a hole for long stuff.

5 hours ago, weavil said:

Its not normal cause its not a car, truck, or heavy equipment.

And good thing it isn't, the forum is already saturated with vehicles.

9 hours ago, howitzer said:

It definitely has inspired me. I've also considered building a lathe, with a turntable-based chuck. In my case it would be even smaller, which could possibly allow it to work with wood and even soft metals like aluminium, despite limited power. The lack of motor power can be compensated for to some extent by adding a heavy flywheel and doing the cuts in small steps, allowing the lathe to spin up.

Another possibly interesting thing to do is a drill press.

On 2/20/2024 at 9:37 PM, weavil said:

Floral foam as I wanted to use Lego parts for the cutter and its soft enough.

Ah right, Interesting, Thanks. :thumbup:

Excellent built!  It wouldn't take a lot of modification to make a mill from many of the same parts you used. :pir-triumph:

I made a "fix" for the chuck sag issue. I added a large turntable. I didn't add it at first because I wasn't sure about how to connect the chuck to it and how it would work with added friction.

It works, but even with a very light oil it still has quite a bit of friction. Works fine on the two lowest speeds and starts popping gears on the other speeds. I will work on it in the next week or so.

Here is the pictures of the changes.

I'm very impressed with this, the 4 jaw chuck is my favorite feature. Does the tail stock have a live center? Does it work well?

On 2/25/2024 at 8:56 PM, BusterHaus said:

I'm very impressed with this, the 4 jaw chuck is my favorite feature. Does the tail stock have a live center? Does it work well?

The tail center spins, but the material is too soft and had to use a cone piece.

4 hours ago, glowytheglowbug said:

Impressive! Good job :D defo going to build something similar very unique idea 

Thank you.