Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

GoH 11: Nordheim Lumberyard

My contribution for Challenge 11. It’s a simple build that brought back a lot of memories as most of the techniques are things I used frequently years ago. Which made for a straightforward and relaxing build process.

Timber is in high demand as the guilds rebuild. Leading to many new lumber yards popping up in Mitgardia. Located along trade routes and near sawmills they constantly receive new loads of wood and in turn load caravans traveling between the guilds.

53490408047_1ef2ae4049_b.jpg

53491720320_08154403b6_b.jpg

logs.jpg

horse.jpg

Additional photos on Brickbuilt.

I like the use of tiles and beams here to create a nice looking affect.  I also like the way you used different colors for different types of wood.  The stone base looks great.  The snow looks very natural throughout the build.  Great job on this.  

Like Navarre mentioned on flickr I too like the puddles with the trans-tiles. They give an awesome melted snow impression, which I certainly can relate to due to the current weather here in Sweden :laugh_hard: Also the different kinds of timber and the snow-piles on the roofs are very realistic, a great build!!

On 1/28/2024 at 2:39 PM, T-86(swe) said:

Like Navarre mentioned on flickr I too like the puddles with the trans-tiles. They give an awesome melted snow impression, which I certainly can relate to due to the current weather here in Sweden :laugh_hard: Also the different kinds of timber and the snow-piles on the roofs are very realistic, a great build!!

Everything i wanted to write, was already written. I can only second what @T-86(swe) said! Wonderful build! The snow, the puddle, the different types of timber!

Very nice build. The balance between sno and mudd makes this build great. I can feel the cold and wet weather. When the snow is melting and you want to go inside but need still to work. I feel for the minifigure workers.

I'm loving the texture those incompletely attached tiles give!  Really helps the rugged barn feel.  Effective and realistic choice of colors for the mud too, and I always admire your skill with snowscaping!

So much of this is near perfect, and it actually took me a while to realize what was bothering me about it--somehow it feels, on the main pictures, oddly closed in which has a suffocating effect given that you'd expect this to be out in a big open space.  I'm not totally sure what gives it that feel--the shadow perhaps, showing that the paper its photographed on is quite close, or the close crop, or maybe it's because there really isn't much landscaping and no trees, or a combination of those things.  Anyway, that's not really a criticism of the build as much as it is a wish you'd built more, another ten studs or so of landscaping in every direction would have been perfect to give the feel of being out in the Mitgardian wilds.

I can't believe I haven't built a carpenter's workshop or sawmill since I joined GoH (which is an understatement, given Avalonia's countless forests).

When the time comes to build my own sawmill, this Moc will obviously be a reference for me!

Great entry! This is in my opinion the kind of "world building" that has made GoH what it is over the years :thumbup:
Old techniques that worked well back in the days are still good, especially when used in a well-balanced way like this.
A small detail I really like is the use of both (medium?) nougat and tan for the fresh wood, just as in reality different kinds of wood have different hues.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:39 PM, T-86(swe) said:

I too like the puddles with the trans-tiles. They give an awesome melted snow impression, which I certainly can relate to due to the current weather here in Sweden :laugh_hard: 

I was about to write the same thing! :laugh:

This is such a cool build - you can just look at it and everybody can tell that it's yours. I love your style! The woodwork looks great. Many parts are simple but very effective. I also like the mitgardian atmosphere of the build. Brick on!

Quintessential Mitgarida build for sure! this looks like timeless picture! It could have been build years ago yet still feels new and refreshing. Adding the little poof mud makes this one feel alive