Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

I love the idea of a show because it can also expand the lore. JK could add more stories like did in Pottermore. Speaking of which, I'd love if they add stuff from Pottermore like a flashback from Mcgonagall's youth

Also, it can flesh out several storylines barely mentioned in the movies and even the books: The marauders, the Gaunt Family, the Dumbledore family, the First Wizarding War can get all whole flashback episodes. 

I'd be shock if TLG doesnt release sets based on the new show, considering it will provide plenty of new material to release sets from. At one point they will have to stop reclying sets from the movies. How many Great Halls and Hagrid Shacks does one need? 

14 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I'd be shock if TLG doesnt release sets based on the new show, considering it will provide plenty of new material to release sets from. At one point they will have to stop reclying sets from the movies. How many Great Halls and Hagrid Shacks does one need? 

I’m wary about the whole new adaption thing, but I really want to finally see the house elf/SPEW plot finally adapted from the books - and during that plot line the trio visit the Hogwarts kitchens, a place the movies never showed and we have no chance of getting in lego form at this time. Not to mention characters like Winky, Ludo Bagman, and fashion disaster!Dobby from that subplot alone. If the show follows the Percy Jackson series’ lead and takes the opportunity to expand upon the original materials themes, it could be really interesting (I’m not optimistic, but it’s within the realm of possibility). 

4 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I’m wary about the whole new adaption thing, but I really want to finally see the house elf/SPEW plot finally adapted from the books). 

The films cut some good things from the book series which may have been necessary but disappointing, but cutting most of the story of the house elves was very a good call. 

It's never a good idea to have your hero be a slave owner. The house elves role in the books also shows a massive problem with the story - the wizarding world is heavily biased against house elves, goblins and centaurs. You would expect the book series to address and heal this divide in society, but no systemic change really occurs by the end of DH. 

Problems of the book series aside, the release date is likely to be pushed back a year or two as these things often are. I also think the chance of any lego sets from the reboot this decade are low.

Also, Max (what a horrible name, I still laugh at the moronic decision to drop HBO, would be like renaming D+ to just Plus) still isn’t available in most places outside the US and there don’t seem to be any expansion plans. Why release sets on something locked behind a limited streaming platform as opposed to sets based on beloved and readily available movies? :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Yeah, I'm in two minds about that show.

On the one hand, as has already been pointed out, the movies weren't great and could do with a makeover. For example, Alan Rickman, God rest him, was completely wrong for the role of Snape. I want my angry thirty-something Snape from the books, not a sixty-ish guy suffering from terminal ennui. And some explanation about the name Half-Blood Prince would be nice, too! 

On the other hand:

The books aren't that great, either, and could do with a makeover, which I'm not sure a TV Show can or will provide. For example: I'm sure they'll throw in more diversity and representation, but that would also necessite changes in the setting. Does Hogwarts have dorms for non-binary students? If we're so inclusive, why do all the girls have to wear uniform skirts? How would a wheelchair user (as we've seen in one recent LEGO set) even get around Hogwarts with no elevators and all the moving stairs? It would change the look and feel of the setting, not sure if WB wants that.

And then, the story has been done to death (quite literally in many cases). Sure I'd like them to delve deeper into Snape's character and background, but am I going to watch and get invested just for him to be killed off again in such a wasteful manner? I expect many people feel the same about Sirius. Who's going to be excited for Harry/Ginny or Ron/Hermione, the two main pairings that didn't work that well even in the books? At least Fantastic Beasts or Game of Thrones had the element of surprise! I think if they do this, then all bets should be off - yes, Harry will defeat Voldemort, but it won't happen the same way. Maybe some characters will survive, maybe others will die, maybe Hermione will marry Viktor Krum - we don't know. JK clearly has no problem butchering her own Canon as seen from FB vs HP, so why not reboot things?

And from a LEGO perspective, such a reboot would also give us a ton of new set options, akin to Marvel's What If series. 

(I fully expect this to be a controversial proposal, but I really think it makes the most sense in term of creating and maintaining audience interest. Cue the disagreements.)

Edited by brickbride

48 minutes ago, brickbride said:

The books aren't that great, either, and could do with a makeover, which I'm not sure a TV Show can or will provide. For example: I'm sure they'll throw in more diversity and representation, but that would also necessite changes in the setting. Does Hogwarts have dorms for non-binary students? If we're so inclusive, why do all the girls have to wear uniform skirts? How would a wheelchair user (as we've seen in one recent LEGO set) even get around Hogwarts with no elevators and all the moving stairs? It would change the look and feel of the setting, not sure if WB wants that.

As for the wheelchair, I think most of the illnesses can actually be healed by magic, though of course possibly not all of them - anyways it should be an quite rare occourence to have a wizard kid needing a wheelchair compared to humans. And we are speaking about Magic users here, they certainly have better ways than elevators, like flea network or well, just letting the wheelchair fly.

48 minutes ago, brickbride said:

And then, the story has been done to death (quite literally in many cases). Sure I'd like them to delve deeper into Snape's character and background, but am I going to watch and get invested just for him to be killed off again in such a wasteful manner? I expect many people feel the same about Sirius. Who's going to be excited for Harry/Ginny or Ron/Hermione, the two main pairings that didn't work that well even in the books? At least Fantastic Beasts or Game of Thrones had the element of surprise! I think if they do this, then all bets should be off - yes, Harry will defeat Voldemort, but it won't happen the same way. Maybe some characters will survive, maybe others will die, maybe Hermione will marry Viktor Krum - we don't know. JK clearly has no problem butchering her own Canon as seen from FB vs HP, so why not reboot things?

They stated that they would keep close to the books, so I don´t see any of this happening really. Of course there can always be changes, like when one of the actors quits, though of cours they can also just give someone else the Role. We have seen both happening in the movies with Dumbledore and Crabbe

20 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

As for the wheelchair, I think most of the illnesses can actually be healed by magic, though of course possibly not all of them - anyways it should be an quite rare occourence to have a wizard kid needing a wheelchair compared to humans. And we are speaking about Magic users here, they certainly have better ways than elevators, like flea network or well, just letting the wheelchair fly.

According to leaks, the next LEGO Diagon Alley set 76439 will feature a Hogwarts student in a wheelchair. That's why I used this specific example. I wouldn't actually mind seeing a flying wheelchair, but I'd expect a TV show to at maximum stick a wheelchair-user in the background of a group scene with no regard to how that would work in practice. That's what I meant re: low expectations, I apologize if it wasn't clear.

Edited by brickbride

Sticking closer to the books is not always a good thing. For instance, who wants to see the “slaves actually like being slaves and Hermione is silly for challenging the status quo” plotline being adapted? :laugh_hard: 

And if they add stuff, it’s most likely horrible anyway. The additions the FB movies made to the lore were pointless at best (Nagini being a cursed human for instance) and others through Pottermore were downright insulting and contradictory. 

Remember the infamous „wizards and witches used to shit on the floor and vanish the evidence“ tidbit that was not only mindbogglingly stupid but also blatantly contradicted the lore, completely ignoring the existence of the CoS? :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, brickbride said:

Is this satire? 

48 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

Is this satire? 

Why? The fact that nearly everyone in JK's world is white, heterosexual, and able-bodied is an oft-mentioned source of criticism. Surely in this age and climate, and with JK being JK, they'll take this into account. I fully expect them to go the diversity route - but as I've said, JK's setting doesn't lend itself to it without some changes.

Why do you think LEGO is that fond of minor characters like Blaise and Professor Sinistra, will put random diversity students into the Hogwarts Express over story-relevant characters such as adult Ron and Hermione, or will include a student in a wheelchair in sets even though there isn't one in either the books or the movies? And I've seen a ton of fanfics reimagining Harry as of Indian descent (apparently solely based on his having black hair) and Hermione as biracial (apparently solely based on her having bushy hair). The demand for more diversity in HP is clearly there. And LGBTQ representation is the best way for them to prevent activist groups from calling for a boycott of a JK adaptation. It just makes sense commercially.

Edited by brickbride

Can you please take this conversation elsewhere as I (and many others, I'm sure) don't want this thread closing so close to leak season of the summer sets. Thanks!

1 hour ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Can you please take this conversation elsewhere as I (and many others, I'm sure) don't want this thread closing so close to leak season of the summer sets. Thanks!

My apologies :blush: This was indeed getting a bit off-topic!

So, back to topic. I hope to hear more about the 2HY sets soon! Weird how we have a full minifig list for one set, a partial one for another, and nothing for the rest :laugh:

In my mind, these sets will be the deciding factor in whether 2024 will become my favourite LEGO year ever. 2023 wins in some categories (Marvel, Indy, JW) and 2024 in others (Star Wars, DC, Icons) but it currently evens out overall. If the 2HY Potter stuff can outdo last year’s sets, 2024 will win! :sweet:

The strongest HP set last year was Gringotts, which cannot really be topped on its own. The Burrow looked great in the survey leak, but is not as special and desirable as Gringotts was. However, the wave itself has a lot more potential! The 2023 2HY offerings were solid, but pretty lacking in the minifig department apart from Scabior and some neat variants. 

27 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The strongest HP set last year was Gringotts, which cannot really be topped on its own.

I've just finished building it and, while I would had prefered something different, being not really interested in the massive underground section, this set is really well done. I really appreciated the building process and the ending result is impressive. As a set I would give it a 9.5/10 rating: it's gorgeous, apart for some minor issues like the "Gringot ts" sticker. Rating decreased to 8.5/10 just for my personal taste. In any case, this set stand over other 2023 sets.

39 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I hope to hear more about the 2HY sets soon!

Count me too :laugh: Really interested in seeing what LEGO has reserved for the 200$ Great Hall, even to try to understand what LEGO decided for the following years in term of recreating Hogwarts castle. The return of Durmstrang ship, but I haven't the 2005 one so it wouldn't be a return more a first time for me, is intriguing too.

I admit that the Burrow, while being, by the survey, visually appealing, and likely having all the Weasley family, is not something I'm tempted by so much as by Gringotts when we heard about it.

3 hours ago, brickbride said:

Why?

I'm not going to engage beyond this comment because this thread isn't the place for it, but I sincerely suggest that you make use of the words nuance, context, and projection.

2 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

Really interested in seeing what LEGO has reserved for the 200$ Great Hall, even to try to understand what LEGO decided for the following years in term of recreating Hogwarts castle. The return of Durmstrang ship, but I haven't the 2005 one so it wouldn't be a return more a first time for me, is intriguing too.

These two are definitely the highlights this summer! I hope the Great Hall gives us a brand-new interior plus Prof Vector and/or a new Lockhart variant with the BTS hairpiece!

Since the Durmstrang ship is already confirmed to feature Karkaroff and Crouch and the March wave has so many cool animals, I’ll be very lenient and declare 2024 the winner if they give us either two other new characters or a new character plus another new creature :laugh:

Shouldn’t be too hard!

I’m also incredibly excited to see what the new Great Hall will look like. I’m a little bummed it was already indicated to be PS themed, however they said “it can also be other movies”? Interesting. I’m assuming the mini-figure will all be PS stone based. I’m a bit tired of getting so many of the little figures. I hope during the rest of the castle relaunch they work in some of the later movies.

19 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Remember the infamous „wizards and witches used to shit on the floor and vanish the evidence“ tidbit that was not only mindbogglingly stupid but also blatantly contradicted the lore, completely ignoring the existence of the CoS? :laugh_hard:

This was my first thought reading through this convo. I don’t need to see that onscreen, and I certainly don’t need Lego sets of it. Although Lego has been liking their poop in sets in recent years haven’t they? Maybe five years from now we’ll get a hogwarts set with a few of part 6275030 placed on the floors with a disappearing cleaning feature. I really shouldn’t be giving them ideas like that, they did make a buildable Dobby’s sock after all. 

Not everything a creator makes is gold, and even the original HP books could’ve benefited from a more ruthless editor (especially GOF and OOTP). The Star Wars prequels at least were so new that some of it was bound to be good and of course they made for great toys. Outside of some random throwaway lore details what is a remake trying to stick as closely to the books as possible really going to add, and how much of that is going to make good toys? Plus the books and movies are products of their time and without substantial changes they can’t do much to update that aside from making the extras more diverse which we’re already seeing Lego doing anyway in the trunk sets and apparently Ollivander’s shop. All they can really do to make fresh Lego sets with this show is hope for substantial design changes which I’m not really sure they’d want to do since it would affect brand recognition. Outside of new actors what will change visually that will change the Lego sets? Will the characters just be wearing robes over their casual clothes like in the early art and merch before the movies? Will the hogwarts roofs be a new color? Will any of that do much to refresh the Lego line? 

It’s possible the current Hogwarts’ aim to be the most detailed and accurate version ever is based on the threat of a new series and redesigned Hogwarts, but I think it’s just as likely that it’s only based on negative reactions to the last 3 years of Hogwarts sets. Let’s not forget how Lego has tied in with other recent Wizarding World content. They did nothing for the Hogwarts Mysteries game and they announced some unrelated sets to celebrate the release of the last FB movie. 

5 hours ago, JS038 said:

I’m also incredibly excited to see what the new Great Hall will look like. I’m a little bummed it was already indicated to be PS themed, however they said “it can also be other movies”? Interesting. I’m assuming the mini-figure will all be PS stone based. I’m a bit tired of getting so many of the little figures. I hope during the rest of the castle relaunch they work in some of the later movies.

Same honestly. We’ve already gotten a bunch of PS based figures in the boathouse, I assume we’ll get more in the Great Hall, and then even more in the Potions Class set. Hopefully we get some figures in robes from the later years. How many of those did we get with the sets from the 2021-23 castle? I can only remember DH2 Blaise. 

On 2/25/2024 at 10:42 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Also, Max (what a horrible name, I still laugh at the moronic decision to drop HBO, would be like renaming D+ to just Plus) still isn’t available in most places outside the US and there don’t seem to be any expansion plans. Why release sets on something locked behind a limited streaming platform as opposed to sets based on beloved and readily available movies? :tongue:

We've had HBO Max since March 2022 in the Netherlands. Also fun fact, because there's a broadcaster in the Netherlands already called Max (Omroep Max), they cannot use that name for the streaming service in the entire Benelux, so here it'll stay HBO Max. :P

29 minutes ago, Salix said:

We've had HBO Max since March 2022 in the Netherlands.

I know, that‘s why I said „most places“ :wink: The Netherlands were also the first country in Europe to receive D+, if I recall correctly! You guys must have different laws :laugh:

However, this further proves my point: two years later, and „Max“ still hasn‘t expanded much. D+ didn‘t take that long! But what can you expect from a company run by Mr „Honey Boo Boo“ :ugh:

On 2/26/2024 at 9:52 AM, MaxHeadroom said:

We’ve already gotten a bunch of PS based figures in the boathouse, I assume we’ll get more in the Great Hall, and then even more in the Potions Class set. 

While I‘m kinda sick of the preferential treatment PS and CoS are getting from TLG, I’d welcome the new Great Hall being PS-based with open arms IF they included Prof Vector and the troll :laugh:

Not saying I wouldn‘t like the set if those two elements were to be missing, but that‘s probably the best they could do to make it interesting for long-term fans. Purely in terms of characters, I mean! The build itself will undoubtedly be great given the size :thumbup: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Just saw this Brickset designer note on the Talking Sorting Hat

FUN FACTS:
- The scale of the hat was chosen to align somewhat with the Helmet Collection in Star Wars and Super Heroes, but also so that the hat would be compatible with the giant Minifigures in 76393 Harry Potter and Hermione Granger.

If anyone buys the hat and already as the Buildable figures I'd love to see how they look combined. 

2 hours ago, Ferder said:

Just saw this Brickset designer note on the Talking Sorting Hat

If anyone buys the hat and already as the Buildable figures I'd love to see how they look combined. 

Interesting! They should've told the LAN folks that - surely many of them have the big figures.

I appreciate they‘re compatible, but kinda weird that this was one of the deciding factors for the Sorting Hat‘s scale when the maxifigs aren‘t even available anymore :laugh:

Not complaining though, it‘s more like a nice bonus feature since the hat works well on its own!

Have this been mentioned before?

12693233.jpg
With 3 figs the price of the book makes more sense than when it is only 1 for the same price :tongue:

Happy release day for those who celebrate. :pir-thumb:

I'm just going to get Hagrid's Hut and the Owlery today (although that new Flying Car is tempting with the new colours and ability to seat 2 figs).

The Boathouse is sold out at all the targets near me. The more popular LEGO stores around me also are sold out on the boathouse. I hope this is telling that interest is high for the "detailed" reboot!