On 3/4/2024 at 10:27 PM, M_slug357 said:

@Lion King Maybe not a Shinkansen, but a Chinese High speed train would maketh more sense considering TLG’s Monkey Kid theme and recurring Lunar New Years’ sets.

No, they're pretty generic and forgettable designs. The 0 Series Shinkansen on the other hand was pioneering and is instantly recognisable, just like the orange TGV Sud-Est which LEGO have previously modelled.

The other thing I find is that the high speed trains of China and Japan nearly all seem to have a variation in colour scheme of blue/white/grey - which after a while gets rather dull in my opinion.  In contrast, Europe's high speed rail services are often much more colourful - take the Eurostar, Thalys, TGV Sud-Est, and the Italian Frecciarossa ETR 500.  The colour schemes and overall shape of these I generally much prefer.  Even the DB ICE sets are made more interesting with the contrasting red stripe, although they've done some similar city sets before.

Like @Kalahari134 says, the 0 Series is instantly recognisable and a good choice should they go down the Asia-Pacific route.

It would be nice to celebrate 60 years of shinkansen this coming October! Although I doubt TLG would drop a new train set on us around that time. (#provemewrong)

Thinking about other themes’ potential crossovers— isn't there a train in that Animal Crossing game…?

Posted (edited)

Dark red large train wheels:
LEGO_71437.jpgLEGO_71437_alt1.jpg

Edited by R0Sch

Posted (edited)

Is it wrong to say I wish the small dark red wheels were this part instead of the road wheels we got? It would make the set even more desirable to train fans!

66130.png

But since they aren't, I feel Big Ben Bricks is gonna make a lot of money in the coming years, since he sells dark red wheels in several sizes (including his own version of the LEGO part above)

EDIT:

71435_alt2.jpg

The big doors in sets 71435 and 71436 would also look nice on train sheds...

Edited by Murdoch17

On 1/17/2024 at 1:10 PM, SpiderFan44 said:

As seen through insta :

City Summer Wave 

60423 - Tram & Station - $79.99

If that counts 

Any pictures or more info on this one anywhere?

Nice, seems like "train" themed sets are only trailing "castle" themed sets for number of sets making it to Bricklink designer finals.  It's making me wonder if this is the only way we are going to get new train items from Lego (other than the one passenger and one freight kid's sets that seem to be evergreen).  I just picked up 4558 Metroliner and 4547 Club Car.  It makes me really wish Lego would do something like that again.  Something a bit realistic, yet not the high-end Orient Express style.  I mean, they continually have a freight and a passenger set in the line.  Why can't they look a bit more realistic, or modeled off of something more real-life?  The Santa Fe, BNSF, TTX, and Maersk sets were great, and not that complicated.

2 hours ago, GoHabsGo said:

That's a good news (not for my wallet...) !

Yeah, any guesses at what the price of that set will be?  I was thinking in the $300-$400 (US) range.

The train is 2,760 parts.

The old train engie was 220 € for 2,331 parts

So I'm expecting  about 260 €

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 5:54 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Is it wrong to say I wish the small dark red wheels were this part instead of the road wheels we got? It would make the set even more desirable to train fans!

66130.png

Speaking of these wheels, the UCS Tie Interceptor recolours them in Light Bluish Gray:

DSxtw4A.jpeg

Hopefully they'll get into a set a little less expensive than $230 per 2, now that the option exists...

Edited by Stereo

Thanks for bringing that up @Stereo! Hopefully we get the missing other wheels in the new colors soon, as this bits-and-pieces approach is driving my OCD crazy! (But such is life as a Lego builder, I guess...)

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

this bits-and-pieces approach is driving my OCD crazy! (But such is life as a Lego builder, I guess...)

Just remember, you have to put all of the "Lego" logos on the studs facing the same way :devil_laugh: (seriously though, there was a builder in my club who practiced that technique)

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Just remember, you have to put all of the "Lego" logos on the studs facing the same way :devil_laugh: (seriously though, there was a builder in my club who practiced that technique)

I'll admit that I often do this as well when building sets or otherwise following instructions, because it forces me to slow down and be deliberate with what I'm doing instead of just speed-building everything as I'm naturally inclined to do. It's a good way to be mindful of the journey, kind of like taking the time to savor a meal instead of just wolfing it down.

9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I'm not that afflicted by it... I don't care which direction the studs go, as long as the pieces go where I want them to! (I feel sorry for your fellow LUG member, though.)

19 hours ago, Stereo said:

Speaking of these wheels, the UCS Tie Interceptor recolours them in Light Bluish Gray:

DSxtw4A.jpeg

Hopefully they'll get into a set a little less expensive than $230 per 2, now that the option exists...

My favorite LEGO Train of 2024 :laugh: Though they're on opposite sides, so does that make the TIE Interceptor a 0-2-0?

We're eating good this year so far for Train Parts!

I wonder if the gray wheels will have the traction bands on them. Hopefully they will appear elsewhere, otherwise they will be crazy expensive being a UCS exclusive.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

I wonder if the gray wheels will have the traction bands on them. Hopefully they will appear elsewhere, otherwise they will be crazy expensive being a UCS exclusive.

They do not, unfortunately. It would be nice if they ended up on Pick a Brick down the line.

16 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

14 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

They do not, unfortunately. It would be nice if they ended up on Pick a Brick down the line.

33 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

It kinda looks like the band is on there though…?

The bands are on there. See the third picture from the bottom on Brickset's review.