HorcikDesigns

[MOC] Pirate Airship (steampunk)

Hi,
new to this section of the forum, hope this MOC will fit within the theme pirates. :)

Besides Technic I sometimes build something else, Space, or lately Steampunk. I always wanted to build some Pirate Airship (or spaceship), but have never enough courage to do so. Until January 2023. Then I finally begun this project. 
Originally it had to be decent mid-scale MOC with calssic blimp above stylized wooden ship body with massive boiler and side propellers. However, it have not never worked as I wished. So in september, with SHIPtember in mind I scratched almost everything I had built before and started building from it. I have changed the concept of the ship, I went with rigid body airship. It is my biggest MOC by dimensions so far.

I know, it would never fly, it has interior where it should have hydrogen or helium, but I built it as some kind of doll-house and exhibition piece to iniciate conversation with visitors to make them encourage to watch closely all details (I have hidden there some pop-culture characters and animals - both kids and parents enjoyed finding all of them on the exhibition.

It has motorized and remotely controlled (cables) propellers (swinging front and back and propeller rotation with simulated steam engine pistons,, winch with anchor in the back, and arduino powered light system.

Full gallery: https://bricksafe.com/pages/horcikdesigns/steampunk-airship-pirates/final01
WIP photos and full presentation (czech) on my LUG forum sites: https://www.kostky.org/forum/index.php?topic=54014.new#new

1280x774.jpg
1280x720.jpg

1280x831.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

14 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Hi,
new to this section of the forum, hope this MOC will fit within the theme pirates. :)

There's a monkey, so it must be pirates! :pir_laugh2:

Wonderful pirate airship! The shaping of the hull is great and you added countless details and luckily we get some peaks into the illumintaed interior. The kitchen is my favorite, and the masts and the sawfish bridge!

Superb design and execution. Steampunk airship meets pirates works great here. I especially like how certain parts are lit, enhancing the visual effect of the entire build.

@Yperio_Bricks  - Thank you guys! Heh, I had the exact same feeling about the monkey! :D I definitely would like to make better photos of the MOC, but now I have no space to take it out of it's box.

@Feuer Zug - Thank you. :) The lights were probably the hardest part of the build for me.

I have uploaded short video showing the lighting in action.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0tWkPfL41V/

Edited by HorcikDesigns

This feels like it came right out of a Miyazaki movie! Bravo!

While I've seen lots of steampunk dirigible MOCs, the shaping has always felt a little crude for me, never really achieving the streamlined look that actual airships bring! Yet you achieved it, no doubt thanks to mixel joints and a host of other clever techniques!  This is definitely eye-candy for me, and I love the uniquely diverse crew! Great use of accessories and torso prints all around!

Amazing build, your power of imagination is great, good job. The colours could be more vibrant maybe but that would be my biggest point . The interior scenes and minifigs are also very nice. The sails are nice and make it look piratey but could also be skipped, to make it look more like a Zeppelin. But I appreciate the age-of-sails-connection :pir-stareyes: you are most welcome in the pirate forum mate!

I love it! Almost looks creature-like, loving the teeth on the prow. I think a white background would work better to better present this awesome ship though.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:53 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

Hi,

Good to see it here!

I saw it live at the Olomouc exhibition. I was the guy with the pirate ships, not so far from where you were stationed. :pir-classic:

It really looks good in the flesh! :pirate:

I also happen to know that it won the best MOC of the exhibition contest :pir_laugh2: (with some tough competitors)!

Edited by Dreamweb

There is ship with sails, it is obviously pirates! I especially love the space under your ship.(gear-part)

Your ship contains all those details, and it has also accessible size.