Here's a fun little project I came up with while trying to find a way to build the smallest AWD model with independent suspension.

Having found a solution I decided to build a representation of the awesome Audi S1 e-tron using a 3D STL file purchased online. I set myself the following functionality and features as goals:

• All Wheel Drive
  • Proper independent suspension on all wheels
  • Each wheel powered by one BW motor
  • Working steering wheel
  • Detailed interior with proper seats and details
  • Easy access to the 2 BW bricks powering and controlling the model
  • Deisgn the body to be accurate to the 3D reference, yet robust
  • Part count of 1200 or less

With the goals set, I came up wih this prototype in LDD:

800x425.png

The next photo is showing just how close the model is following the reference 3D model in green:

800x425.png

And here's the model in real life, built out of exactly 1200 pieces:

800x568.jpg

I took full advantage of the new micro panels, so there are almost no flat/straight surfaces in the model:

800x451.jpg

Finally the belly photo showing how I used brick-built CV joints in order to keep suspension and drive system as narrow as possible. And yes, those are rings from LOTR sets :innocent2:

800x397.jpg

I will post better photos and a video as usual when I find the time. For now I can say that this thing has a really high power-to-weigh ratio and it can easily spin all wheels when accelerating.

Edited by Zerobricks

That sure does look fast!

I like those CV joints--very compact! Those LOTR rings are extremely useful; now that I bought a few I find myself using them a lot

Great build! So clean and efficient transmission, It reminds me my Falcon Trophy Truck. In addition it has an interesting colour scheme, nice front and rear fenders! We will wait for the driving tests!

Edited by Daniel-99

PRO: The underbody is really sleek! Nice!!! The the whole car looks super clean and cohesive.

CON: The bionicle wings never work for me. They look too complex compared to the smooth technic panels. But that's really just a minor thing. You utilize them in a super smart way!

(When) Do we get a video? After the snow season is over maybe? :wink:

Thanks everyone for the praise, I found time to take more pictures to show more details.

I actually modified the reference .STL file in blender in order to remove geometry from the driver's side door, so I could see interior better.

I'm really happy how well the steering wheel, center console and displays match the reference:

800x425.png

The bucket seats, primarly made out pf panels also very closely match the position and angle, they really are almost touching the rear wheels:

800x425.png

And here's a better view of the powerline, it was a real challenge to fit everything inot the limited space, the rear suspension is actually a stud lower than the front to fit the motors under the roof:

800x425.png

1 hour ago, pow said:

PRO: The underbody is really sleek! Nice!!! The the whole car looks super clean and cohesive.

CON: The bionicle wings never work for me. They look too complex compared to the smooth technic panels. But that's really just a minor thing. You utilize them in a super smart way!

(When) Do we get a video? After the snow season is over maybe? :wink:

Thank you. Originally I used the 80627 and 80628 panels which match the curvature better, but they are way too wide, causing the entire spoiler to stick out too much at the sides, as seen at the prototype picture:

800x456.jpg

No snow yet here, so as soon as there's time I will of course record the video :wink:

Edited by Zerobricks

So you use axle towball with dishes to make short CV joint at the side of BW (Black & White :laugh:) motor. Very clever. Question is what amount of slack is present?

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

Question is what amount of slack is present?

There is some slack, but since it's a direct drive from the motor I'd dare to say it's lower than if there was a diff and a couple of gears between the wheels and motor.

Nice looking car, I like the shape, though it's a bit too many colors for me, I guess it's parts availability, but I think almost all black panels could be swapped out to DBG. Then it could even get closer to the real one..

The driveline is pretty interesting, those CV joints are cool idea. Are those rings half stud wide? Or a bit less?

Curious how it will drive!

17 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Nice looking car, I like the shape, though it's a bit too many colors for me, I guess it's parts availability, but I think almost all black panels could be swapped out to DBG. Then it could even get closer to the real one..

The driveline is pretty interesting, those CV joints are cool idea. Are those rings half stud wide? Or a bit less?

Curious how it will drive!

Unofrtunately the micro panels, 3x13 curved panels, fenders are not available in dark bluish gray, so I had to improvise.

Thanks, the rings are a plate high (3,2 mm).

9 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Unofrtunately the micro panels, 3x13 curved panels, fenders are not available in dark bluish gray, so I had to improvise.

I know the fenders are not, but I thought the 3x13 panels are, because Bricklink said so, but I guess they were only in the Osprey.. Though they are available in dark blue :)

Well, I think it's safe to say it drives better than expected, see for youself here:

I was worried the cold temperature will be an issue, but as you can see the model can spin all its wheels, drift, skid steer, etc even on asphalt!

Enjoy a few nice outdoor photos, showing the detailed front here:

800x600.jpg

I may have forgotten to mention that you can of course open the doors and see the working steering wheel:

800x600.jpg

Here's the model in a more industrial setting:

800x600.jpg

Lastly while recording, I stumbled on a bottle of a Jack Daniels, so I took the opportunity to make this silly photo:

800x600.jpg

As usual, there are more photos and LDD file in my Bricksafe folder:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Zblj/112-audi-s1-e-tron

As shown, the model has a crazy power/weight ratio, it's really fun to drive, powerslide and drift around.

Since it's so overpowered, the play time is quite long - I drove it for at least an hour in the cold while recording the video.

Mechanically, there were no major issues - funny enough the brick-built CV have shown to be more reliable than the hub CV joints, one of them got slightly damaged. But that can easily be avoided by not steering at maximum lock while spinning the wheels against each other :laugh:

I'm even thinking of taking the model to the ice skating ring to record even more stuff, but that will probably be next year.

So to conclude... This is one of my final models for this year and I think I really ended it with a proper bang :laugh:

Edited by Zerobricks

Well Jernej, I really didn't know that you are in figure scating :wink: (together with Audi)

That is astonishing model @Zerobricks! I am wondering if you could make a close-up of one of the axles (I am interested in this "one CV joint" system). You could build a separate axle and show some more photos, because idea is very unusual, yet very practical and robust. I am planning in far future build a 1:12 drift car, using same wheels and your MOC is something like a kick in the butt to let start working on it, but currently time only allows me to watch your all MOCs guys. Wish you all the best and thank you for another brilliant build!

55 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Well Jernej, I really didn't know that you are in figure scating :wink: (together with Audi)

I actually taught myself to ice skate :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Krxlion said:

That is astonishing model @Zerobricks! I am wondering if you could make a close-up of one of the axles (I am interested in this "one CV joint" system). You could build a separate axle and show some more photos, because idea is very unusual, yet very practical and robust. I am planning in far future build a 1:12 drift car, using same wheels and your MOC is something like a kick in the butt to let start working on it, but currently time only allows me to watch your all MOCs guys. Wish you all the best and thank you for another brilliant build!

Thank you for the praise.

Here you go, it's a very simple design:

640x340.png

If I would try figure skating, I would brake the ice before I stand on ice.

Audi is real beast (reminds me on time of 5cylinder Quattro)

It looks like the weight to power and weight ratio is perfectly balanced. This driving looks pretty controllable. But damn would that be an expensive project for "us normal people".:wink: 2 Buwizz and 4 Motors + Steering, Uff!!

Thank you for the video! Great locations you've chosen! And i see you had some visitors. :laugh:

16 hours ago, pow said:

It looks like the weight to power and weight ratio is perfectly balanced. This driving looks pretty controllable. But damn would that be an expensive project for "us normal people".:wink: 2 Buwizz and 4 Motors + Steering, Uff!!

Thank you for the video! Great locations you've chosen! And i see you had some visitors. :laugh:

Thank you for the praise. What do you mean with visitors?

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

Looks and works incredible! And in such a small package :-)

Indeed, I'm really happy with it and I dare say it's one of my best MOCs so far. Keeping things as small as compact usually results in much more lighter and robust builds, it's totally worth it!

Awesome MOC! I want to ask you - it is very hard to change the steering motor to pf servo? I have buggy motors but i have only 2pcs of buwizz 2.0, not 3.0 :(

10 hours ago, nervousman said:

Awesome MOC! I want to ask you - it is very hard to change the steering motor to pf servo? I have buggy motors but i have only 2pcs of buwizz 2.0, not 3.0 :(

I think it should be easily doable, you can skip the 16 tooth gears in such case.

Is there a chance that there will be a manual in a PDF file someday? I don't know how to build models with ldd having an lxf file. We know that the instructions made by this program are very bad...