Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[Freebuild] Patrolling the Southern Shores

Magnus Gudmund, Lord of Spróggefjell in southeast Mitgardia, had recently had his farmlands raided by a band of thieves. Rumour has it they took to the coast, so Gudmund hired a group of soldiers to patrol along the Southern Shores.

53296700812_18dacbd801_c.jpg

53297945364_12ac006015_c.jpg 

So far, the search has been unsuccessful.

Spoiler

53086510268_424b74faea_c.jpg[

This build is a modified version of my Summer Joust collab entry (see spoiler) from three months ago. I was happy with the ship, but the water and terrain wasn't convention-worthy. So I tore down the water, I acquired a lot of dark blue tiles (just barely enough, though!) to cover the new base, which I shortened on both front and end. I finished the creation halfway into August, but there was a problem: no camera! I had been borrowing my sister's camera for years, but at last she permanently reclaimed it, so I had to get my own. And then holidays happened, and other LEGO projects, a job application, Skaerbaek Fan Weekend, LEGO World Utrecht... but this weekend I finally spent some time figuring out my new camera (Nikon D3300) and taking pictures.

Little note: I didn't bother changing the figures of the collab, but I did change the story to fit Guilds of Historica. It's not much, but it's something. Glory to the Guilds! 

C&C appreciated! 

Edited by Exetrius

Very cool wave technique!  I really love the sail too.  (The seals in the cave are cute too.  I've been debating whether or not to get them myself...)

Very nice ship! Like previous commenters, I really enjoy the brickbuilt shields. I also love the way you built the water, very neat and crisp. The seal cave is an excellent idea too!

As stated by others I also really like the ship and brickbuilt shields. The water is fantastic and the sails look very natural!! I dont dig the rockwork as much though, might just be poor taste on my behalf but they look a bit flat/regular in relation to the rest of the build.

Great build Exetrius!

On 10/31/2023 at 9:37 PM, jtooker said:

I like the brick-built shields - and that last/hidden picture is framed well.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, Kai NRG said:

Very cool wave technique!  I really love the sail too.  (The seals in the cave are cute too.  I've been debating whether or not to get them myself...)

On 10/31/2023 at 10:24 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Wonderful viking ship! I too like the brick-build shields. The colors really pop!

On 11/7/2023 at 4:57 PM, Aurore said:

Very nice ship! Like previous commenters, I really enjoy the brickbuilt shields. I also love the way you built the water, very neat and crisp. The seal cave is an excellent idea too!

Thanks y'all! :sweet: For the shields I found good inspiration in the Creator viking ship set, but wanted to add some kind of patterns for detail, which is where the modified 1x1 tiles came in. Glad you also like the water, seems like it was worth the effort to change it all up!

@Kai NRG I'd say definitely get the smaller one, it's too cuuute! The larger seal feels a bit oversized and the underside is awkwardly open. 

On 11/7/2023 at 5:43 PM, T-86(swe) said:

As stated by others I also really like the ship and brickbuilt shields. The water is fantastic and the sails look very natural!! I dont dig the rockwork as much though, might just be poor taste on my behalf but they look a bit flat/regular in relation to the rest of the build.

Great build Exetrius!

Thank you! I will agree that the rockwork is nothing fancy. In fact, it was the age-old game of disguising BURPs! :laugh: I used two "mountain" shaped BURP at each end, and two "cliff" shaped BURPs as well as two 45-degree wall panels in the middle. I personally don't really mind it, but I appreciate the feedback! :thumbup:

Very nice build! I like the colour choices for the shields. Especially having the light blue in the shields and on the head of the ship makes it very eye catching. The water technique als works very well :-)

On 12/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, Simon_S said:

Very nice build! I like the colour choices for the shields. Especially having the light blue in the shields and on the head of the ship makes it very eye catching. The water technique als works very well :-)

Thank you, Simon!

Very well done!  I'm usually not a huge fan of solid colored water but it looks good here!  The brick built shields look nice especially with the pyramid tile, and the brick built sail looks fantastic!  Your rockwork is really nice.  It's not super irregular, but it looks organic (as opposed to the many times 'striped' rocks that I see at shows).  The seals are hilarious and a nice touch to the build too.  Great job!

On 12/23/2023 at 3:36 AM, Grover said:

Very well done!  I'm usually not a huge fan of solid colored water but it looks good here!  The brick built shields look nice especially with the pyramid tile, and the brick built sail looks fantastic!  Your rockwork is really nice.  It's not super irregular, but it looks organic (as opposed to the many times 'striped' rocks that I see at shows).  The seals are hilarious and a nice touch to the build too.  Great job!

Thanks for your compliments! I know what you mean with the "striped rocks" cliffs. Preferably following almost exactly the (square) contours of the castle built on top, and with a huge waterfall gushing out from nowhere... :sarcasm_hmpf: :tongue: